Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Those cheap Deore brakes…
  • jkomo

Where are they?
    I need a rear for a mates lad.

jkomo

Ah, found the CRC ones, need a rear only.
    Trouble is it’s a small hard tail so will need to shorten, and I’ve not done it before.

mactheknife

jkomo, i shortened the brake hoses on my XT brakes today for the first time, It was a doddle 🙂

Having a vice and a sharp knife made it easy. Not essentail tho. Follow this guide.

Shortening hoses

cheshirecat
    Free Member

I bought a set of the Merlin M615 Deore brakes a couple of weeks ago. First outing last night, and they’re really good. Plenty of power and they stayed very consistent.

Shortened both hoses, no problems as long as you follow the instructions on the Epic website. No vice here, but was careful to get everything together beforehand, so could keep the hoses upright.

jkomo

Cheers.
    Actually, the hoses on my XT’s are two long, so I could practice on this one first.
    I hope I still have the olives, scent seen them for a while.

HughStew

Those merlin ones are a fantastic deal. I feel a bit of a bell-end for getting my XTs now. Someone tell me XTs are better… Please.

tomaso
    Free Member

The newer Shimano brakes have a different “univeral” olive and insert making the old ones not so “universal” with the new brakes…

iain1775
    Free Member

Sorry Hughstew but I’ve XT on one bike and Deores on the other, I actually prefer the Deores for some reason

jamiep
    Free Member

Mine were £63 from Ribble when they had 10% off shimano offer (currently £70), which they frequently do.

Superb for the money – this year’s Deore are significantly better than the model from two years ago which also have

codybrennan
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair, new ones- they’re great, have no fears!

gogg
    Free Member

£69 for a pair at my LBS with free delivery

iain1775
    Free Member

^ is where I got mine from, service was great, delivery fast

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Those cheap Deore brakes…’ is closed to new replies.