Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • thorn proofing…
  • flowmtbguy
    Free Member

Hi all.

We’re off on our Morocco trip in a month. Last time we went we were bogged down a bit with thorn punctures – the local shrubbery does a good line in cocktail stick thorns!

I was running tubeless with stans notubes which worked pretty well – but succumbed to the thorns eventually. Then it was a dead tube wrapped around a new tube for some double protection. Which, whilst not 100%, worked better than a regular setup.

Anyone got any other solutions? or experience with these bits:

Slime tubes / Slime inside a regular tube
    Slime tyre tape
    Panaracer tyre tape

The other option is some dual ply tyres and put up with the extra weight..

Nice one

Guy
    flowmtb.com

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

or how about a dh tube with latex stuff.

The only reason the tubeless failed really was because the bike rack on our support truck called for the tyre to be deflated a bit to squeeze in. And our enthusiastic driver just let all the air out of my tyres and the tyre/rim seal went…. hmmm.

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

For me the only thing that works against thorn punctures is tubeless tyres with latex in. Tyre wise why don’t you try something like Michelin comp 16 or 24’s with latex, they are quite soft grip wise but they do have a really tough casing and they are stupidly expensive but they work.

ridethelakes
    Free Member

The Joyriders guys use regular tubes with sealant in. For presta valves, they deliberately make a hole in the tube, squirt the latex in and then patch the hole. Seemed to do the trick.

mark@joy-riders.com
    Free Member

Hi Guy

We now use Dr Sludge inner tubes with the slime already inside. They work fantastically well in Spain (and Morocco), and protect against the majority of thorns.

In my experience they are more reliable than tubeless – easier to fix (and less messy) if something does go wrong.

Hope this helps.

mark@joy-riders.com
    Free Member

Plus. Dr Sludge with a dual ply makes your tyres indestructable (almost) – although you do have to put up with the extra wieght

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have used the strips that go between the tyre and tube with god effct on the local paths which are covered with glass. also have had ( against glass) god results with the conti ”puncture proof tyres”

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘thorn proofing…’ is closed to new replies.