Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Thomson stem are they really that good??
  • theheckler
    Free Member

Most people seem to think they are good should I invest over my on one stem? Will there be any benefits?

mk1fan
    Free Member

Unless you want to change the size or rise and there's no major weight benefit then why change?

They do look very nice and, aesthetically, it's nice to have a matching seatpost and stem.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Like mine X4 70mm – bolts dont rust, light, looks good but bought it for a bit of bling over function myself 🙂

DT78
    Free Member

I wouldn't pay full price for one, I got a second hand one from ebay. Light, stiff, looks nice.

grumm
    Free Member

I read somewhere that a Thompson stem will make you 13.6% faster on average.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

X4/X2 yes, Elite no

ddmonkey

Get a Sunline V1 instead, best stem I've ever had.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

They are good used buys because they stay looking good, but full price? Nahh. Heavy, and the steerer clamp is a truimph of overengineering to solve a non existant problem.
    You can get better at a fraction of the price if you don't care what it looks like.

Danger-Mouse
    Free Member

grumm: I read somewhere that a Thompson stem will make you 13.6% faster on average.

I thought it was 13.4% faster, no? 😆

clubber
    Free Member

And I heard 75.61% – guess that's stats for you 😉

Thomsons are nice but as far as the stems go, offer no functional benefit over a multitude of others available cheaper though they do look good (which is reason enough).

Incidentally though I really do rate their seatposts as being worth it because of the ovalised internal bore which makes then stronger and typically harder for me to bend (and I've bent a lot of seatposts).

pinches
    Free Member

Are they really that heavy as far as stems go? what would you use instead for a lighter while still aesthetically nice option?

brooess
    Free Member

Anodising a stem makes it 34.6% faster than painted

foxyrider
    Free Member

But its probably 10g heavier….. do me a favor guvner 😉 As you can see I'm not a weight weenie 🙂

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

They are extremely strong being made out of one piece as opposed to several forged bits. They will therefore bend under stress as opposed to snap and can withstand massive amounts of torque.

IMO If you are a gorilla and capable of exerting enough lateral torque to rip the trunk of a tree in half then you need one, otherwise nice bling but overkill .

mk1fan
    Free Member

KCNC do a ridiculously light XC race stem. Truvativ XC stems are very light for the price.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Are they really that heavy as far as stems go? what would you use instead for a lighter while still aesthetically nice option?

Me personally, if I was after bling, I'd go for Richey.

Yes Thompsons Elite stems are veritable boat anchors. My £12 On-One stem is waaaaaay lighter.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

They are extremely strong being made out of one piece as opposed to several forged bits. They will therefore bend under stress as opposed to snap and can withstand massive amounts of torque.

And where does this information come from….?

foxyrider
    Free Member

The same place as the front plate snaps on all of them and they are really heavy 😉

nickc

For a mid-priced stem, they're fine, there are lighter ones, and there are probably stronger ones about, but they mostly won't be the thing that breaks on your bike, they look good for a looong time, and they have that "bling Thomson" thing going on.

elaineanne
    Free Member

my son has a 'Thompson Elite' and it looks great ! i want one too for that extra bling look for my orange bike… Thompson dont scratch at all…
    wouldnt pay full price me sen tho.. are there any other models out there that dont 'scratch'…. theres plenty of good looking ones about but i want one thats scratch proof ! 'thomson' or 'ritchey' ?

BlingBling
    Free Member

Thomson stems are ugly but the seatposts are nice.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

For the record I posed a similar thred to this a couple of years ago.

When I built my SS last year I decided to fit a silver Thomson stem and post almost totally for the looks. Which is fine. In use I would have said they both felt solid and chunky. I would have liked a bit more flex in the seat post, but it was an advantage on the stem. They look nice, they work well, but the stem clamp is pointless IMO. If you want a smooth steerer clamp, go look at an old Race Face System stem to see how it should be done. Oddly I also found the saddle clamp a bit fiddly, but that could have been me.

Best thing about them? I bought them used, and sold them for the same price I bought them for.
    It's good kit, no doubt about it, but functionally not worth paying the premium price for. The OE stem on my Pitch is just as good……

nedrapier

I went through a phase of smashing my knee into my stem whenever my gears skipped under load. Doesn't happen so much anymore, but I've always looked for smooth backs since, so I went for elite (other reasons included bling and reported stregnth/stiffness/weight). It replaced a no-name alloy thing with a two bolt front plate, and the difference was noticeable in terms of stiffness when hauling on the bars and the bars not creaking anymore.

And it's still looking new 5 year later.

(And it's nice running your fingers up and down the machined rings while your waiting for a train) 😕

BlingBling
    Free Member

Ribbed for her his pleasure!

nickc

but functionally not worth paying the premium price for.

Depends on your POV of "premium" really. When one can buy stems that are probably functionally good enough for as little as a tenner (or there abouts) or full on carbon weight weenie nonsense for not much change from £130, then £60 for a nice looking, strong, long lasting bit of kit that will transfer from bike to bike more or less forever, doesn't seem like bad value to me…

juan
    Free Member

my son has a 'Thompson Elite

Can you be my mum too 😀

uplink
    Free Member

I like Thomson stems [& seatposts] really because they do the job & are fitted without any fuss & they never give cause for concern

The only criticism I have is they sometimes uses screws with bolt heads a bit on the small side

Clembo
    Free Member

Course they're worth it. Last forever, I've transferred mine to several bikes. If you have the cash, buy one 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PMSL @ Foxy. V.Good! 🙂

elaineanne
    Free Member

hmmm, just had alook on chain reaction,,the 'seatposts' are in the SALE ..for 49 quid but only if you have a size 25 or 29mm seatpost so no goos to me then..i need a 27.2 size…. 67 quid i think they are going for now.

lol Juan ! i can be your mom too if you want… im a real guru in the biking world ! lol at least i think i am ! hahahaa

theflatboy
    Free Member

the bars clamp is one thing, but the steerer clamp on the elite is genius – i've had so many cuts on the knees over the years from coming out of the spds/snapping a chain etc. that is avoided by the way the thomson clamps.

clubber
    Free Member

Practical Matt – Member

😯

Are you sure about that? Seriously?

Most forged stems are made of one forged piece which is a arguably much 'better' way of making something like a stem than CNC machining.

theflatboy
    Free Member

elaine anne – i got a 27.2 seatpost posted off ebay for £35 – keep your eyes open and one will turn up.

juan
    Free Member

lol Juan ! i can be your mom too if you want…

Good that is one thing sorted.
    So for Xmas I want 😀

foxyrider
    Free Member

Thank PP 😉 Love you too 😉

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

Clubber- I'm not a qualified engineer so no I'm no more sure than anyone else with a modicum of experience.

My comments come from from advice/information shared with me by a tool maker/engineer friend and my LBS.

I'm happy to be proved wrong. 😳

carlosg
    Free Member

I've had an 'elite' stem on various bikes for the last 6 years , I took a real bad fall coming down jacobs ladder and noticed a crack in the faceplate after when cleaning , I weigh 15 stone and aren't exactly a delicate rider so being able to just replace the faceplate(£7) instead of buying a new stem makes sense.

Oh and they look bling too 😀

JonR
    Free Member

I have had 2 women sleep with me just because all my bikes have thomson stems on them.

theheckler
    Free Member

Just been and had a go on my mates 575 fitted with a thomson stem and Maz all mountain 1 forks and it really felt taut/tight almost like I imagine a bolt through fork to feel.Know I ride fox float rl with an on one stem and there is no way my bike feels as taut/tight at the front .
    Makes me wonder if maybe my fox forks flex more or is it that there is less flex on the thomson stem over the on one? 😕 I'm confused!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Thomson stem are they really that good??’ is closed to new replies.