Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Thompson Elite, if its so good then why?
  • mrvear
    Free Member

Looking for a stem and post and I like the look of the Thompson stuff but if it is so good, why is there always loads for sale on here?

singlespeedstu

People changing frames and trying different length stems.

sam_underhill

I like my Thompson kit, but it is a bit heavy compared to some of the newer kit.

binners

Dunno but I’m about to buy a Thonmpson post as a birthday present to myself

*flexes debit card and totters off to CRC*

peteimpreza

Binners check Merlin first.

momo

Always seems to be the longer stems (90mm+) for sale on here, so possibly people following the trend for shorter stems?

I’ve had the same Thomson seatpost for 11 years now.

WhatWouldJesusRide
    Free Member

This…

New frame sometimes means new seat post diameter/never underestimate the ‘need’ for blingtastic carbon/bored, bored, bored I ‘need’ new bike stuff/WOW I cannot live without that Cane Creek suspension seatpost/Up ‘n downy seatpost? F@@k yeah!!*

*Delete as appropiate

HTH

😀

nosemineb
    Free Member

It also gets good reliable money 2nd hand and the 2 nd hand stuff is usually in great condition also as theyre so hard to mark i wouldnt hesitate to buy 2nd hand thomson kit. anyone got a seatpost clamp, what are they like?

69er
    Free Member

Good gear, biased towards slightly over-engineered. Not a problem on an MTB!

binners

Cheers peteimpreza. You just saved me a tenner

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm new saddle too methinks 😀

Bregante

So he saved you a tenner and cost you thirty quid. Aah the twisted logic of the cyclist 😆

Terry
    Free Member

I don’t want anything else. Unless it says Moots 🙂

_tom_
    Free Member

Thomson is the only post that I haven’t bent or damaged the guts on yet! It’s only a matter of time before I get a stem to match it 🙂

As above the people selling will be those buying a new frame that takes a different diameter post, or fancy a different stem length.

_tom_
    Free Member

double post!

loddrik
    Free Member

Looking at the above pic I’d say triple post..

mudmonster
    Free Member

The anodising is very tough too.

fontmoss
    Free Member

I don’t want anything else. Unless it says Moots

or eriksen 😉

GavinB

@Terry – did all those King headsets clean you out so much you forgot the bar plugs?

catfood
    Free Member

I sold a 90mm X4 on here recently, I bought a 70mm X4 to replace it, I think this is a pretty typical scenario.

Terry
    Free Member

@Terry – did all those King headsets clean you out so much you forgot the bar plugs?

Had a stupid plastic one, it broke and fell out. I always use barplugs.

Especially after hearing about a guy who fell and got his stomach pierced and died afterwards.

The King headsets are just as “must have” as the Thomson. *tart*

oldgit
    Free Member

I don’t bother selling on Thomsons, chances are you’ll need that size post again a few months later (or the following week if you’re ton) when you get another bike.

bobalong
    Free Member

Thomson kit is always fantastic quality, light weight and good to look at. The post clamps are great too, if a little bulky.

Junkyard
    Free Member

king headset a must have is stretching it a bit. Even if I replace my bearings every five years it would take me 30 years to have cost more than chris king and mine wont score my steerer either.
    Would not pay shedloads for a headset personally. Thompson stuff looks ok i weigh 10 stone never broke any seatpost
    I own one it is in a box somewhere

Pieface

The stem bolts are a PITA and the bolts on the seatpost have a habit of threading / stripping.

Otherwise nice kit, however I’d go for an EA70 post unless I was a big lad and a regular stem, maybe something like a Hope. I’d go Easton again but the 70’s look a bit boring.

househusband

Couple of reasons that I’d get a Thomson seatpost;
    – the anodising lasts far longer than all others I’ve had over the years
    – the seatpost itself is designed to bend rather than fail catastrophically, at 15st+ I find this reassuring

Aidan
    Free Member

My Thomson post is my oldest piece of bike kit. I kind of like the idea of something lighter, but if I don’t want to ride a long way standing up with the remains of my seatpost in my bag (I’m looking at you, failed FSA carbon post), then Thomson is the way to go!

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got them on my current FS build and will be swapping them to the new build.

Well when the Joplin isn’t in there 😉

Or if the 90mm stem proves too long than I’ll be getting a 70mm

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Thompson Elite, if its so good then why?’ is closed to new replies.