Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • this was mountain biking! retro 80's race in aviemore scotland.
  • racefaceec90

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qet7pWVfhI8[/video] when men/women were men/women,and when wheels were the proper size too 😉

shermer75
    Free Member

‘Wheels cannot be bigger than 26″ in diameter’ haha 🙂

jekkyl

great, thanks for linking, love the helmets and all the lovely fluorescent colours.

brant
    Free Member

Fun race that. I was riding with Deb Murrell who didn’t have a good day.
    I seem to remember two if not three races at Rothiemurcus over the years.
    Good find.

kcal

fabulous!

rOcKeTdOg

proper mtbing is that

deejayen
    Free Member

I was there as a spectator! It was all cutting-edge stuff at the time. I’m only just starting to think about taking up mountain biking, so it’s taken me a long time…

I saw a couple of riders in the Moray Firth team tops – I think one may have been Kenny Riddle, but can’t really make them out well enough.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I actually remember watching that on TV, in fact I may have even video’d it at the time 🙂

Dilwyn
    Free Member

I remember watching that on TV. I had just got my first MTB at 12/13 years old and was so excited to see this on TV. The fact that Mike Kloser was racing on his MS in the uk made it even more so.

NormalMan

Thanks for posting. I remember watching that on TV. Great memories.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Just skipped through that. Did they really use balloons on sticks as course markers?

NormalMan

No, that was just ITV special effects 😉

jekkyl

Here’s a similar one showing the 1st Mountain Mayhem in 1998 at Trentham, guy at the end showing off some pretty impressive brakes and lights. This is how far we’ve come in 16 years, where will we be in another 16?
    [video]http://youtu.be/umHV1DYv-WU[/video]

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

aren’t you worried that it’s plateaued jekkyl?

leffeboy

2m47 – someone off here? and 7:43?
    back to work…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Me at 2:47, McMoonter at 7:43.

Anyone know what Steve Douche-bag is up to these days?

xc-steve
    Free Member

I love how modern XC is ‘spectator friendly’ with short compact courses…

euain

Speaking of retro-MTB, was anyone else at a race near Monymusk, Aberdeenshire on the day Diana died?

I remember doing a race round what must be Pitfichie. At the time I’d never heard of Monymusk and had no idea where we’d raced. I moved up a few years ago and it’s now my local trail and some bits look familiar. I’d love to know where the race actually went.

Trimix
    Free Member

Its interesting to see they dont attempt to ride stuff we would not think twice about now.

jaaaaaaaaaam
    Free Member

Trimix – Member
    Its interesting to see they dont attempt to ride stuff we would not think twice about now.

I was thinking that too, and I’m terrible at riding bikes!

deejayen
    Free Member

I also wondered about the amount of running with the bike – maybe a lot of riders came from a cyclocross/road background, or perhaps the bikes/tyres weren’t as capable.

It may have been another year/event, but did one of the (female?) riders have to be airlifted by a mountain rescue ‘copter? I don’t think they were badly injured, but they couldn’t be accessed by road.

NewRetroTom

Can’t believe they had THE Robert Millar on the Giant team for Mountain Mayhem!

JCL
    Free Member

proper mtbing is that

Yep, running up grassy fields, hammering down a straight fireroad and wading through waist deep rivers.

AWESOME!

globalti
    Free Member

This magazine lasted for about three issues:

cynic-al
    Free Member

Trimix – Member

Some of the ideas came from the road as to what was cool – narrow bars, long stems, on top of rigid bikes and 71 degree head angles. Also quite a few of the pros were from road backgrounds. We loved riding techie stuff but we didn’t know where it was, we were exploring a lot of new routes.

It just wasn’t what it is today.

acehtn
    Free Member

Sponsered by Carlsberg !

And now we get gash sugar caffine rich drinks that make your wee go bright green, rot your teeth and keep you awake all night 🙂

Carlsberg should do DH racing, would rather get a can of that after every practice lap and timed run 🙂

iain65
    Free Member

I think Sian from the race in the first clip now runs the ‘old school B&B’ at Coed y Brenin with her husband where I stayed last year, definitely recommended, beautiful setting, building, hospitality and food!

bigjim

Great find! I grew up near Inverness and remember these races.

I wish my parents hadn’t thrown away all my MBUKs from 1991 onwards 🙁

NZCol

Brilliant, i’m in there somewhere on my black Kona explosif. Grrrrr that’s a nice bike, still got it as well, will be back in edinburgh end of the month so will take it out for a hoemcoming ride !!

biff

I rode the Grundig there in 1990 — even with my Flexstem I could do nothing to stop Sara Ballantyne leaving me for dead on one downhill section.

user-removed
    Free Member

Aaarg! So who won then?! Enjoyed that – reminded me of my yoof, yomping all over Aberdeenshire with my mates on our rigid Konas / Oranges, sporting awful day-glo outfits.

rudedog
    Free Member

Aaarg! So who won then?! Enjoyed that – reminded me of my yoof, yomping all over Aberdeenshire with my mates on our rigid Konas / Oranges, sporting awful day-glo outfits.

If you click the youtube link in the first post it will open up on the main youtube site and you’ll see the links to the rest of the race – its been broken up into 5 ten minute sections

user-removed
    Free Member

Ta! Off to bed now but will watch the rest in the morning.

collostomy
    Free Member

Clearing out my loft and found these old programmes from the Malverns!

http://s21.postimg.org/cnsd04y43/image.jpg

Can’t get the picture to post because I am old and can’t work technology….

kcal

Not in the same league, but I recall doing some E B C sponsored ‘race’ down in the Borders – Cleish Forest – which must have been 1987/88, still got the long sleeved top I ‘won’ for some reason..

racefaceec90

ah i see you got the australian pamphlets 😉

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘this was mountain biking! retro 80's race in aviemore scotland.’ is closed to new replies.