Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • this tummy bug that's doing the rounds, when does it f##k off?
  • therealhoops
    Free Member

75% of the household can’t hold on to their bowels at the mo and I had 40 MINS SLEEP last night trying to comfort an 8month old with tummy ache. I got her to sleep alright but then couldn’t move incase I woke the poor mite up, (my own fault for not getting comfy). General symptoms are tummy ache, dodgy guffs and a pyroclastic bum flow of vesuvius proportions. It’s been nearly two weeks now and our house stinks.

please help

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Missus was talking to the porcelin telephone last night, now I can feel it coming on 🙁

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Probably viral. Getting into winter then something called rotavirus usually does the rounds. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotavirus

If it is persisting then immaculate handwashing & hygeine is key.
    Soap & water is fine, it isn’t so much what you use as how you use it.
    http://www.cdc.gov/features/handwashing/
    This needs to happen before food prep, before eating, after toileting, and before & after anything to do with the 8 year old. Alcohol handrubs can be used if hands not visibly soiled but hands should be washed after every third use of alcohol handrub anyway.

Fluids & plenty of them, calpol for the 8 month old.

wwaswas

if you’ve got an 8 month old who’s had the squits for 2 weeks I’d be off to the docs.

Other things to consider (and don’t want to be rude);

a) hygiene – you really need to go overboard with handwashing before and afetr food perparation, toilet, nappy changes etc.
    b) hygiene – get some antibac – spray taps, door and cupboard handles, toliets etc regularly and thouroughly.
    c) hygeiene – make sure babies stuff is cleaned on a hot dishwasher wash or with very hot water. leave stuff to drain dry rather than usign a tea-towel.
    d) hygiene – put babies toys in a big bucket of milton – they chew everything at that age.
    e) did I mention hygiene at all?

you really need to avoid reinfecting yoursleves, basically or you’ll have it forever…

philconsequence
    Free Member

not sure if i got the same thing that others have but woke up sat morning, spent 4 1/2 hours in the bathroom with both d&v, felt like i had been hit by a truck all day, fever, felt freezing, couldn’t stop moving my legs as it felt like they had had a caffiene injection in them or something, shivering constantly despite (apparantly) being boiling to touch. all muscles and joints ached… couldnt even hold my self up on my wrists to vomit… think i pulled something in my back being sick too.

slept in what felt like a swimming pool of my sweat sat night but by sunday morning no more fever, end of sunday back to normal.

support worker just said the same thing happened to her and her hubby over the weekend, both fine now too.

2 weeks is much longer than what seems to be going around these parts… been to the docs? (hope you’re all keeping your fluids up!)

ScottChegg
    Free Member

My kids had it 2 weeks ago and are still not right. But to put wwaswas right the Docs say ‘it’s viral, lots of fluids’ and theres nothing else to do.

The highlight for us was the eldest being sick in the night. In bunk beds. The top. Down the wall. Onto his sleeping brother below. At 3am.

Parenthood. Its great.

therealhoops
    Free Member

Apart from the odd day both sprogs are consuming and drinking plenty, infact the 3year old had two weetabix and a bowl of weetos this morning. Give it a few hours and that’s gonna get seriously messy. As long as they’re distracted you’d seriously never know anything was wrong.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

The highlight for us was the eldest being sick in the night. In bunk beds. The top. Down the wall. Onto his sleeping brother below. At 3am.

Our ten year old has a problem identifying when he is going to vom, I think it is because he has been generally quite hardy whilst growing up. He does recognise a “queasy” feeling in his stomach, but usually will sit on the bog and then vomit! The other thinh he’ll do if he knows he is about to vomit is get to the bathroom & fail to lift the lid.

Mrs MFL doesn’t do puke, and reckons that while I am a nurse it is my job to sort him out. Not too much of a problem except the last two times he has done his puke on the toilet lid trick has been in the middle of the night in hotels……

therealhoops
    Free Member

The tide has turned!!! We even got some sleep last night…I KNOW, CRAZY!
    Boy has been dispatched to nursery and crawler seems alot better.

wwaswas

Boy has been dispatched to nursery

they’ll love you if it’s been less than 48 hours since the last ‘episode’ 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘this tummy bug that's doing the rounds, when does it f##k off?’ is closed to new replies.