Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • This place gets more like the Daily Mail every day
  • geoffj

Foreign-based benefit cheats, stereotyping Manc asian taxi drivers…wtf is happening?

Stoner and the Captain aside, I thought this place was a bastion of Guardian-reading, polytechnic-lecturing, IT middle-managin, Center Parcs visting, Britishness.

Well?

clubber
    Free Member

Shh. I'm reading Richard Littlejohn's latest column 😉

IanMunro
    Free Member

Yeah but the poly's/uni's are on summer vacation at the moment so all the staff can indulge in their filthy secret habit of reading the mail, away from the judgemental peer pressure they're normally subjected to.

darrell
    Free Member

actually i'm jeremy clarkson in disguise so **** off

mt
    Free Member

"I thought this place was a bastion of Guardian-reading, polytechnic-lecturing, IT middle-managin, Center Parcs visting, Britishness".

And ain't they all so boring.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Yeah but the poly's/uni's are on summer vacation at the moment so all the staff can indulge in their filthy secret habit of reading the mail, away from the judgemental peer pressure they're normally subjected to.

Oi, bugger off! Just because we're not teaching students, doesn't mean that we're not working on our research, in fact it means we're probably taking the time to get some work done without the distractions of term time. People keep saying 'oooh, you university types with your long summer holidays'* to me, as if universities were like schools and the only thing we get up to is teaching.

Joe
    *can you tell, this gets on my tits a bit!

Stoner
    Free Member

Stoner and the Captain aside, I thought this place was a bastion of Guardian-reading

How odd of you. You obviously haven't been paying much attention if you feel the urge to lump me in with CFH. I also read the Guardian everyday FWIW.

Drac

If you spent last time posting on here when your at Uni you'd not need to try and catch up during you hols. 😆

geoffj

Sorry Stoner. What I meant was that you usually have a refreshingly and apparently more informed, different view of some things than others on here – it was meant as a compliment honest.

Stoner
    Free Member

then I shall take you compliment and go and bask in my superiority. 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You obviously haven't been paying much attention if you feel the urge to lump me in with CFH. I also read the Guardian everyday

Actually I believe that the good Captain too, has been known to read the Guardian.

He probably disguises it inside a copy of the Telegraph mind.

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP You think this is something new?

Always a fair amount of that crap on here, mixed with pro-cycling or driving depending on what suits members.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

SFB hides his copy of Fiesta 'readers wives' inside the guardian i believe

julianwilson
    Free Member

I hide 'the Very Hungry Caterpillar' inside my Gaurdian. 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Stoner and the Captain aside, I thought this place was a bastion of Guardian-reading, polytechnic-lecturing, IT middle-managin, Center Parcs visting, Britishness.

I find it a bastion of Daily Wail reading small minded little Englander types with unpleasant tinges of racism around the fringes

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I find it a bastion of Daily Wail reading small minded little Englander types

And that's why I love it so !

I have precious little contact with 'Daily Wail reading small minded little Englander types' in my real world – apart from reading about them.

I find the whole experience quite frankly ……. fascinating 8)

Stoner
    Free Member

and I wouldnt have known what a trot was really like until I came on 'ere, eh GG?

🙂

I find there's a good breadth of people from the asinine to the thoughtful and they cover all political shades.

PS LOL @ JulianW

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Stoner – Member
    Stoner and the Captain aside, I thought this place was a bastion of Guardian-reading

How odd of you. You obviously haven't been paying much attention if you feel the urge to lump me in with CFH. I also read the Guardian everyday FWIW.

Indeed. As it happens though, I also have a dip in to the online Graun on a very regular basis as well (Won't pay for it out of principle! 😉 ) Never touch the Mail at all, unless the shops were out of quilted Andrex.

DickBarton

Teachers (of all kinds of edu-me-cation) – have more holidays than Father Christmas! Catch up on work…get lost…stop trying to make it sound as though you aren't enjoying your time 'off'…

backhander
    Free Member

Guardian-reading, polytechnic-lecturing, IT middle-managin, Center Parcs visting, twatishness

Fixed

kimbers

seeing as university departments are assesed on research and teaching i imagine non-term time is a mad panic writing grant applications and getting publications
    as a scientist i can assure you thats no picnic

nickc

I think it's about 50/50 TBH.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Stoner – Member

and I wouldnt have known what a trot was really like until I came on 'ere, eh GG?

I find there's a good breadth of people from the asinine to the thoughtful and they cover all political shades.

Despite having pondered long and hard on what must undoubtedly be a sarcastic/ironic comment, I fail to understand it's significance Stoner ….. 😕

I most certainly knew what a trot was like before coming on here. And indeed Trotskyism is the one 'political shade' which is lacking on here.

Which is a shame, because there's nothing I enjoy quite as much as having a good ol' ruck with a trot 😀 Although I should point out, that despite their ridiculous views on revolution and their anti-Leninist stances, many of the trots I have known, I have been hugely fond of. Indeed it has always been a source of some consternation, the knowledge that the day will inevitably come, when they will all have to be rounded up and shot. As sadly history has taught us that there is simply no other solution to the 'trot problem' 🙁

There was a time when I thought SFB might satisfy my occasional need to taunt and bait the ultra-left. But sadly his description of himself as an 'anarchist' on his old profile appears to have been nothing more than for effect. My early attempts to taunt him failed miserably – there is clearly no idealogical commitment there.

Quite why there should be such a glaring lack of trots/ultra-leftists on a cycling forum is something which I don't fully understand – there's certainly plenty of pseudo-leftie liberals on here. Still, I suspect that many of the them were quite probably transient revolutionaries, during their youthful Uni days.

EDIT : Ignore the first part of my post Stoner – I've just re-read your comment for the umpteenth time and it's suddenly clicked ! You're obviously accusing me of being a trot ! ….. God I'm fick 😯

And yeah …….. you certainly know how to wound mate 🙁

Stoner
    Free Member

I reckon that's the longest time it's ever taken to land a fish 😉

emac65
    Free Member

I think you're all looking far too deep, this is a site of geeky virgins…..

willard

Didn't you all know? The Telegraph is the new Mail.

Personally, I read the Mail at work so that I can get my anger levels up to par for the day. If I don't get properly angry with the narrow-minded bigots that are in it, and the changing rubbish that they spout, I find that my ability to cope with other parts of our office is degraded.

So, the Mail can be beneficial, if only because it makes other annoyances seem trivial.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I reckon that's the longest time it's ever taken to land a fish

Yeah, well I reckon there should be a "reductio ad Trotum" rule on here.

Accusing ernie_lynch/GG of being a Trot is, unsporting, below the belt, and unBritish 🙁

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘This place gets more like the Daily Mail every day’ is closed to new replies.