Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • This morning I was a massive roadie stereotype
  • davidjey
    Free Member

So this morning I dragged myself out nice and early to get a couple of hours on the road bike in before work and do some long interval work.

In the middle of interval number one I reeled in and overtook someone else on a road bike. I may or may not have acknowledged his presence as I overtook him, I honestly can’t remember cos I was mostly trying to keep some kind of form going into a nagging easterly headwind. Interval number one done and I’m cruising around the edge of Newport to the start of interval number two; who should I see ahead of me but the same bloke again. Not that surprising as there’s lots of different routes to get to the same place. I overtake him again, this time filtering down the outside of traffic as he’s over on the left – he shouts something, but in the traffic I can’t make it out or even be sure it’s directed at me. Carry on, and at the next set of lights (that I stop for) he jumps the lights on the pavement and carries on. Shortly after, we go separate ways.

And then: Isn’t it interesting the things you spot on strava flybys?

Obviously I owe him a heartfelt apology. Unless anyone has any better suggestions for comments I can leave on his activity.

PS. It’s not one of you lot is it?!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Not once lee… But **** twice… Tosspot.

😆

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

😀

Only 551 miles ridden this year……sounds like he doesn’t get out enough.

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s not us you need to be apologising to, is it?

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

perhaps just say sorry I was in the zone? Unless you are one of those blokes who doesn’t acknowledge other riders in which case he’s got you in one 😉

mikey74
    Free Member

So what. If he’s miffed at something so trivial then it’s his problem, not yours.

TBH, I usually feel a bit self-conscious over-taking another cyclist and think that saying something may come across as being a bit arrogant. It happened to me twice yesterday as well (in East Sussex, by the way) and neither time did I acknowledge the other rider for that very reason.

Either way, it’s nothing worth getting anyone’s lycra in a twist over.

tenfoot

Blimey . He obviously hasn’t got any proper stuff to worry about.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Are you really bothered by this?

🙄

Still, cool story bro’

davidjey
    Free Member

No, I think it’s hilarious that he is though 😀

Caught me bang to rights being a miserable roadie though, too grumpy to back off in the middle of an effort to exchange pleasantries.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

What’s the point in a cheery hello if you’re going to get so angry when someone doesn’t respond. There seems to be more and more of this aggressive niceness or forced polite-ism these days. Finally someones taken a stand.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I see that a link has been posted in the comments on his ride. I wonder if we can facilitate a reconciliation right here on STW? 🙂

davidjey
    Free Member

I see that a link has been posted in the comments on his ride.

(deletes profile and goes into hiding in Venezuela)

Gary_M
    Free Member

Doesn’t sound like the OP is bothered in the slightest, the other fella on the other hand is far too bothered. Why would anyone be that bothered by someone passing them and not saying hello. Clearly he has an empty life devoid of all other worries.

Kudos on the average speed btw, that’s pretty good going into a headwind.

orangespyderman

What’s the point in a cheery hello if you’re going to get so angry when someone doesn’t respond. There seems to be more and more of this aggressive niceness or forced polite-ism these days.

^^ This. I often (always?) acknowledge other riders and even other walkers, horse riders etc I meet or pass on the trails. Some say “Hi” back, some don’t. I’ve never gone and whined on Strava about it.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Some say “Hi” back, some don’t. I’ve never gone and whined on Strava about it.

Agreed, I’m not bothered if I don’t get a response to my slightly raised hand. To name a strava ride in an attempt to get back at the ‘offender’ is extremely odd and petty. Was said offended rider on his way to primary school?

ferrals
    Free Member

This would make an absolute genius Harry Enfield – esque, sketch. It has completely brightened up what has been a pretty tedious, nothing seems to be working properly, day.

Someone has Ajax-issues 😆

edit. Any-way what sort of rank amateur says hi when you can communicate using a barely perceptible nod while staring steelily into the middle distance?

gwaelod
    Free Member

JIF would have waved 😉

davidjey
    Free Member

According to the comments on the activity I’m a “w*****r wannabe”. What’s that anyway? I aspire to being a w*****r but I haven’t quite got it in me?

orangespyderman

Any-way what sort of rank amateur says hi when you can communicate using a barely perceptible nod while staring steelily into the middle distance?

😆

perchypanther
    Free Member

#chopper

Which one of you was riding a Chopper?

chakaping
    Free Member

This could be a great set-up for a quirkily unconventional chalk-and-cheese rom-com.

Go on OP – comment on his Strava offering to take him out to dinner to make up for it.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well OP, you posted the comments and added the link.

By that, I’d say you are bothered by it.

Just ride your bike, no one really cares but you.

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Was he wearing a helmet on his nut though?

Really boils me up when I see cyclists on road without one without a care in the world.

mrblobby
    Free Member

By that, I’d say you are bothered by it.

By that, I’d say he was amused by it and thought the STW crowd would also find it amusing. Which, mostly, we are.

People don’t always post just because something bothers them 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Really boils me up when I see cyclists on road without one without a care in the world

Why?

Gary_M
    Free Member

bikebouy you seem more bothered about the OP being bothered than the OP is about the ‘incident’.

martinhutch

What kind of neb-end uses a strava ride title to slag off other riders?

Clearly hideously angry. Let’s all give him some random Qudos for his heroic stand against the OP’s pisspoor manners… 😀

davidjey
    Free Member

We’ve kissed and made up

Such is the healing power of STW 😀

I should probably rename my activity again now….

burchill
    Free Member

Edit: n/m

Notter
    Free Member

JIF would have waved

What about CIF? Is he more modern? 🙂

ferrals
    Free Member

david jey – Member

We’ve kissed and made up

Such is the healing power of STW

I should probably rename my activity again now….

Disappointed. Could have been a lot more comedy fun to be had.

You’d need TT bars for bike jousting though

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Handbags at dawn, boys. Let your legs do the talking!

spawnofyorkshire

I’m disappointed, he should have kept his activity name the same at least. Now you both look moderately reasonable instead of the egotistical darksiders that you really :Dare

dirtyrider
    Free Member

topped by the fact your actually a jey boy

UR BIK IZ SARACIN UR XC JEY BOY

bensales
    Free Member

scaredypants

Don’t get it – I assume he’s changed the name of his ride or something ?

Duggan

Good lord, what a fuss 😕

Stunned that anybody would care that much. I do get self conscious when doing intervals outside. During a tempo interval you will inevitably end up barrelling past somebody, heart rate maxing out, huffing and puffing like a lunatic and it seems highly likely they will think you’re a total idiot. Especially when your interval ends and you have to soft pedal whilst they cruise back past you shaking their head. I might get a sign to hang on my back or something.

davidjey
    Free Member

Don’t get it – I assume he’s changed the name of his ride or something ?

Yep, you’re too late to the party, we’re all friends again now.

This morning on my commute I waved at every single cyclist on the taff trail and greeted them with “Good morning, to you, sir/madam!”, just to be on the safe side.

ransos
    Free Member

Why would you be bothered by the opinion of a pavement riding RLJer?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘This morning I was a massive roadie stereotype’ is closed to new replies.