Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • This is why.
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Little Miss CFH. Third time on her “grown up bike, it’s got pedals and brakes and it goes reallyreallyfast”.

Bikes. They’re just bloody brilliant!

scaredypants

is that narnia at the far end ?

(I appreciate it’s probably an outlying sector of the estate but, really, some of that’s terribly overgrown)

beagle
    Free Member

Your hedges need a trim on the driveway Flashy. Edit – beaten to it!!

Awesome stuff. My little one maybe 12 months from riding. Excited.

dantsw13

Great pic – real proud dad moment. My lad isn’t interested, sadly, but my daughter has just done bike-ability at school and loves it. I’ll keep trying.

Sandwich

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Hb3eVf]riding bikes[/url] by Mike Hams, on Flickr

igm

Just remember Flashy, skiing helps build the balance for cycling.

daviek

It’s great when you see them do stuff like that 😀

Our girls love their bikes but the boys have little interest in them. Trying to encourage them to get out more but there’s only so much apathy I can take!

matt_outandabout

Kids on bikes rock.

Science fact.

rOcKeTdOg

It’ll be alcohol & boyfriends next!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Shouldn’t she be in school

senorj

Brilliant.
    Li’l J gets his “rocket bike” ,his words, on Wednesday.
    I have a day off to spend getting him used to the pedals …:-).
    While I’m here…any tips or advice on progression from balance bike to “rocket” bike?
    The one bad habit he’s developed from the balance bike is using his feet as the brake. He’s perfectly capable of using it, He just prefers to ruin his shoes.The l’aal shitehawk. 🙂

grum
    Free Member

The only part of parenting that appeals to me. 🙂

igm

Senor J – advice? Cheap thick shoes – they all seem to do it. Also Isla’s website used to have a good section on how to get them going. And Germoline – they will fall off and get grazed, Germoline is pretty good for helping healing.

thegreatape
    Free Member

thegreatape likes this

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Ace:
    Reminds me of one of the best days in Cursing towers

igm

^^^
    “These 20″ wheels make the trails come alive…”

mick_r

Just be ready for where this heads over the next 10 years…..

Tomorrow is Bean Barwick School MTB Challenge (in South Lakes).

First did the 25km one with my eldest when he was about 7 or 8 years old on 20″ wheels. Done it almost every year since, each time a bit faster. He is now 13, and tomorrow I’m expecting him to rip my legs off on the 40km route 🙂

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I like nothing more that riding in the woods with my 4 year old boy. The unfettered joy that he radiates is the best thing ever.

Whenever I go out riding on my own, he is the first at the door on my return asking ‘Did you have a nice ride Daddy?’ and I always get the guilts.

ads678

My lad very proud of his new build and his sister on his old bike now pinked up a bit!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Superb pics, everyone!

“unfettered joy” indeed!

Harry_the_Spider

rossburton
    Free Member

Li’l J gets his “rocket bike” ,his words, on Wednesday.

Our 5yo daughter started shouting rocket bike when I was taking her to nursery on the back of my bike two years ago, and now has an entire make-believe scenario where she rides slowly, flips switches, turns dials, presses buttons, shouts ROCKET BIKE and pedals really fast. As her 7yo brother said in some homework last week, she’s “really dramatic”.

pictonroad

[video]https://youtu.be/dTkW90pGpK0[/video]

I’d forgotten about this, just passed the bike on to his sister and it popped into my mind. I think I’ve posted it before. Small people and bikes is a good thing all round.

MoreCashThanDash

My 9 year old surprised me the other night by picking a couple of clever lines to avoid obstacles that her older brother would never try.

Seems the force is strong in the STDaughter club!

cinnamon_girl

Brilliant pics of little ones, so much cuteness! If you’re really lucky then they may be riding in adulthood, evidently our family rides to Swinley Forest etc stood my “boy” in good stead. He’s now an obsessive roadie, Ride London last year, Tour of Flanders again this year with La Marmotte not far away etc etc.

#ProudMum

finbar
    Free Member

Sweet thread, but I must admint I was hoping for Mint content.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Lovely Pic, just been looking at the Islabikes site for young Miss Jay’s first balance bike – she’s 2 next month 🙂

pictonroad

Those Puky are suitable from 12+ months, they’re awesome little machines.

They get protective if you go near them.

molgrips
    Free Member

My youngest (nearly 5) has a lovely Pinnacle 16″ that she won’t go near now I took the stabilisers off, even though she can ride the balance bike fine with her feet up.

CFH maybe yours could have a word with her.

matts
    Free Member

Seems the force is strong in the STDaughter club!

STDs will come soon enough.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Molgrips, mine started on a balance bike, so never had the stabiliser issue. About to get The Boy on the balance bike over coming days.

Picton, rad stylingz!

AlexSimon

Took my youngest (10yo) on his first bivvi last week.

Basically, they would cycle more, if I wasn’t so selfish as to want to ride on my own sometimes!

molgrips
    Free Member

Molgrips, mine started on a balance bike, so never had the stabiliser issue

As I said, she was great on the balance bike – but she still has stabiliser issues.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Well, if we’re going to get like that:

jr_bandito#1 a couple of weeks ago. He’s now progressed to an Isla Beinn24

and jr_bandito#2 on the tagalong. He’s just this week decided he wants to try out the pedal bike and has been wobbling up and down the driveway

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ah, sorry, misread that. Not sure what you can do beyond perseverance*, really. If she’s got the balance, she’ll get it. We started Little Miss CFH on a very slight, false flat downwards path. Easier to get some speed, but not too much.

*Whales and dolphins, whales and dolphins, yeah!

matts
    Free Member

As I said, she was great on the balance bike – but she still has stabiliser issues.

They all get on at their own rate. Mini-Matt 1 was a demon on the balance bike, then on the day we bought him his proper bike, he got on and pedalled off down the road. I was gobsmacked. Mini-Matt 2 is a much burlier and more physical sprog generally, but he’s way more circumspect on the balance bike. No way he’s going to be riding sans-stabilisers at the same age.

rossburton
    Free Member

Our eldest had the stabiliser wobbles but for our daughter and when the bike with pedals arrived the pedals came straight off so it was just a bigger balance bike. Once she was happy with that the pedals went back on and we worked out how to do the pedal thing. Worked a treat!

molgrips
    Free Member

She did ride around on stabilisers a bit, but due to being used to leaning she got high-sided a couple of times which has put her off. Plus the balance bike was small so she can easily put her feet flat on the floor, and she came to rely on that. So although she can fairly easily touch the floor on the 16 with her toes, she doesn’t like having to stretch her toes out.

matts
    Free Member

Our eldest had the stabiliser wobbles but for our daughter and when the bike with pedals arrived the pedals came straight off so it was just a bigger balance bike.

Hmmm. Great Idea. Mini-Matt 2 is too big for the Skuut, but I don’t think he’s ready for the bike yet. I might get the bike down from the loft and try that. Gives him a chance to try the brakes as well.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘This is why.’ is closed to new replies.