Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • This here DX bastardlight…
  • AndyP
    Free Member

1) anyone found a decent bag anywhere for the battery? the thing that comes with it is shite.
    2) anyone bodged a decent helmet mount for it? the thing that comes with it is shite.
    3) Is it just me, or is it fairly unimpressive, light-wise? Does it get brighter after a few charges? Still nowhere near the standard of my L&M Arc (which is is supposed to be replacing)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Is it just me, or is it fairly unimpressive, light-wise? Does it get brighter after a few charges? Still nowhere near the standard of my L&M Arc (which is is supposed to be replacing)

It never will be. We have an ARC and it's superb. I'll keep it going as long as I possibly can. They have one of the best beam patterns ever and IMO they walk all over the more modern stuff…..
    Compare the DX to, say, a Lumicycle and there's not much difference though. 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

What PP said, the Arc is a great light and mine substantially outperforms modern LED setups (probably not trouts though!) in terms of light output.

Jamie
    Free Member

1) anyone found a decent bag anywhere for the battery? the thing that comes with it is shite.

I was pointed towards the Elite bag from Lumicycle.

AndyP
    Free Member

cheers. good to know. I got the DX so that I can save the ARC for night riding and not use it 2 hours every day for commuting….bulb life/replacement cost etc!
    meh…paired with a couple of Airbike SL2s it's OK for the commute, but I need to find a decent way to stick it to my lid.
    cheers Jamie, I'll get one of those on the way.

grumm
    Free Member

meh…paired with a couple of Airbike SL2s it's OK for the commute

lol where do you commute, down a World Cup DH track?

AndyP
    Free Member

no, the A635

Stoner
    Free Member

paired with a couple of Airbike SL2s

I think you need a new glasses prescription, not more lights!

one Airbike SL1 on its own is more than enough!

AndyP
    Free Member

I think you need a new glasses prescription, not more lights!
    hmm…sorry, despite working in optics I'm not sure about this one. So a new glasses prescription will help cars to see me?

Stoner
    Free Member

you will get flashed by drivers for pointing just one SL1 at them.

If you want to be better seen get more scotchbrite on your high-viz commuter bag/jacket and shoes (moving parts). Adding more static high power lights isnt going to make much difference.

grumm
    Free Member

Having all those lights is going to blind drivers and piss them off – complete overkill for commuting. They are lights to see by, not lights to be seen with as well, they're not very visible from the sides etc.

Dobbo

***NEWSFLASH***
    Cyclist knocked off bike on A635 by dazzled car driver.

😆

allthepies
    Free Member

😆 @ Dobbo

AndyP
    Free Member

you will get flashed by drivers for pointing just one SL1 at them.
    I'm sure you would. This is why I don't point them at the drivers, but at the road.

complete overkill for commuting
    indeed. I've long thought that car headlights should be replaced by candles for this very reason.

Stoner
    Free Member

well there you go. You've already made up your mind. There's some good advice in here but you obviously know so much better.

Why did you post anyway?

AndyP
    Free Member

well there you go. You've already made up your mind. There's some good advice in here but you obviously know so much better.
    I've taken heed of the good advice, and ignored the 'opinion based on nothing in particular' bit.

Why did you post anyway?
    Did you read my first post? Allow me to repeat it.

2) anyone bodged a decent helmet mount for it? the thing that comes with it is shite.
    3) Is it just me, or is it fairly unimpressive, light-wise? Does it get brighter after a few charges?….

HTH. On the other hand, your post did nothing to answer any of my questions. So why did you post?

grumm
    Free Member

indeed. I've long thought that car headlights should be replaced by candles for this very reason.

Car headlights can be dipped though, do you put them on low and turn all three of them round slightly on the bars every time a car comes?

AndyP
    Free Member

Car headlights can be dipped though, do you put them on low and turn all three of them round slightly on the bars every time a car comes?

no. (and as per OP, 2 on the bars, not 3)

Out of interest, do car drivers put their dipped headlights on even lower and rotate them slightly every time anyone approaches from the opposite direction?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Having all those lights is going to blind drivers and piss them off – complete overkill for commuting. They are lights to see by, not lights to be seen with as well, they're not very visible from the sides etc.

Grumm's right.
    Part of my commute is pitch black, unlit and a bit offroad. For the road parts I have a nice flashy Cateye single LED thing that's visible from the side and I stick my Joystck Maxx on the bars for the unlit part, which is perfect for the job.
    The thing is, you're very unlikely to be hit from the front. (You're more likely to hit someone else!) It's the rear that you can't see, where the cars are on your side, that the danger comes from. I use a really bright Cateye on flashing and a second smaller light on constant, then a fair bit of reflective gear on myself and the panniers. From the side you can't beat wheel reflectors, no matter how crap they look, and pedal reflectors are not to be underestimated too, as they move and catch the eye very well.

I don't always cycle in and I've noted what catches my eye on other bikes/riders 🙂

z1ppy

No but then car headlight lenses are made to shine in a specific direction (downwards), are specifically pointing at the verge and this checked yearly @ the MOT test. Bike light/torches in general put out a round beam with no consideration toward not blinding ppl coming towards the light. You asked some reasonable question then have just shouted at ppl offering their commuting opinions…

1)No it not ace but mine hasn't fallen apart on my yet (6 rides), buy the elite bag from lumicycle as mentioned above
    2) Sorry no I don't have the helmet mount and am happy using one of last years P7 torches on my head.
    3) Their ok to ride with singly but no there not spectacular, but better than my old Lupine HID. I use a Bastid on the bars and a P7 torch on my head, still a much cheaper than any HID or LED system sold by the 'main' manufacturers.

devs
    Free Member

I am either very lucky with my DX or you are very unlucky with yours but I have seen nothing that compares with it for brightness and I have a Hope 4 and go on regular club rides where there are every kind of LED and HID on display. Either that or people's eyes just react differently to the light.
    I'll tell you what is cool. Put the DX on low whilst on your head and then spin a wheel in front of your face. The strobe interference patterns with the spokes keep me fascinated for oh seconds! 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘This here DX bastardlight…’ is closed to new replies.