Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • this got me to thinking earlier (hobby/life cost content)
  • BobaFatt
    Free Member

while sitting in greggs enjoying a sausage roll that someone had probably wiped their butt with, i got to thinking about money and hobbies (while trying to drown out the wife with the voices in my head)

Why do we upgrade? and i dont just mean bikes, everything, as a species we're never happy and constantly want more and more

example – I have a guitar, amp, couple of pedals……but i want a better guitar, a bigger amp and a load more pedals……I won't be able to play any better but i really believe this is what i wants from life

example 2 – I have a G-shock watch on at the moment, it tells the time perfectly and its nice and silver……but i can't help looking at Omegas which cost 10 times as much

what the hell is wrong with this picture?

jedi

that we want more than we need

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

speak for yourself. I have enough material things for me and probably less than most on here. What I want is more experiences

jedi

a generic human race we tj….

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The restless consumer. I usually dont bother buying stuff for the sake of it, as TJ says, your better off spending your money on experiences.

I think I'd even prefer to spend 50 quid (rarely do) and have a memorable (probably wouldnt happen) saturday night out than spend 50 quid on something sihte like a t shirt or a pair of jeans

colnagokid

Surely just nature, when you dont need/want more to eat or somewhere safe to sleep, you move onto other things?

miketually
    Free Member

I'm not a serial upgrader either.

Today, I replaced a broken Deore BB with another Deore BB, in my 6-year-old frame. I want to replace other parts on the bike, but they don't need replacing, so I'll leave them.

Ambrose

I'm with TJ on this one, but with an added bit that I try to avoid the 'buy cheap-buy twice' trap. I still regularly use a 25 year old down sleeping bag I bought as a student. It cost more than I could spare at the time but has been superb. Likewise my current! bike. It's now three years old and the frame, wheels, controls, bars etc are fine. And if I had looked after the forks they probably would be pretty good too. Last bike cost £999 in 2000, lasted 7 years, I still have it.

I'm one of those people who hate buying on HP/ loans/ credit etc- so I save up and thus the delay(ed gratification) gives me time to properly consider things.

Having said all that, my garage is full of old hobbies. thousands of pounds worth of climbing, ww kayaking and other gear. Gathering dust and degrading 🙁

Re-reading tis I sound like a sanctimonious prat.

grumm
    Free Member

It's called advertising/marketing – we're inundated with it and its constant message that we can be more happy, fulfilled, attractive, or whatever if we buy stuff. Even if you try not to let it affect you it still does.

CaptJon
    Free Member

OP – you like to try and improve your lot through consumption, but still eat at Greggs..?

rs
    Free Member

I think it something you grow out of (to a point), when your young and start working its great having lots of cash and you don't think twice about sticking things on the credit card, 10 years down the line I think most people start to realise that the experiences are more important than the things.

Ambrose

Not entirely true. I'm 47 now and have approx. £150:00 on the credit card. My limit is £800 I think.

starseven
    Free Member

You have to feel like that or the world stops, keep wanting , keep buying!!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I purposely ride a basic bike because I believe the sport/pastime should be accessible to anyone. Mind you that doesn't extend to my camera gear as I've had 5 Nikon DSLRs, but I've given all but one spare away…

binners

I've just spent more than i can afford on a new toy. But it gets used. All the time. Its not like I've spanked a load of cash on something that's going to sit in the garage gathering dust. Its all relative innit?

Its not like I've got a coke habit or owt. Oh….. actually….. 😀

Grimy
    Free Member

Stuff wears out and technology moves on. There's nout wrong with replacing your tatty, worn old stuff for something newer and better.

no point about getting sentemental about that old thing that works adequatly, when you fancy something newer, maybe more effecient, better working with built in GPS?

Yea, you can go too far and become wastefull just because you want the new shiney thing, but there's a middle ground between being Armish, and being a super consumer.

Without a little consumerism, there wouldnt be the same level of technological advances, you might still be listening to the wireless, maybe you wouldnt have a TV and you sure as hell wouldnt be on an internet forum to find out where's a great place to ride etc.

So perhaps its not the root of all evil as some would make out. I love maintaining stuff, and I based my career around fixing stuff thats broke rather than needlessly replacing it and adding to landfill, but I'll not be feeling guilty when I get my consumer fix either! 8) its a balance.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘this got me to thinking earlier (hobby/life cost content)’ is closed to new replies.