Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • This chain is too short isn´t it?
  • eckinspain
    Free Member

Had my bike serviced today and on the ride home looked at the replacement chain for the first time – it´s too short isn´t it?
    It´s in big chainring and smallest cog in the photo.

Edited for link as image didn´t work

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

edit for your edit, looks fine to me. Big/big plus 2 links is the rule isnt it, vertical cage on smallest sprocket looks fairly normal.

Looks ok to me

bristolbikeproject
    Free Member

If the chain goes from big cog to big cog you’re ok.

the-muffin-man

Looks spot-on to me – that’s about how I have mine.

Unless you regularly bodge gear changes in which case you may want to add a couple of links.

bradley
    Free Member

Mines similar.

eckinspain
    Free Member

Oh OK, thanks. I´m sure the previous one was longer. It looked a lot worse on bigger cogs (still in big chainring) but if the STW are happy then so am I!

mtbtomo
    Free Member

You need to check big sprocket to big chainring, can’t tell for definite from small to big.

sweaman2
    Free Member

mtbtomo +1

Post another photo of big / big.. if it reaches with a tiny bit to spare then it’s just right.

eckinspain
    Free Member

ok, here’s a picture of big-big. It changed up no problem.

photo(1) by Sandra and Alex, on Flickr

honourablegeorge

Hmm. I’d like another link in there.

fasthaggis

Why would you ever want to have that chainline?

tinsy
    Free Member

fasthaggis, you do not want that gear selection/chainline, but the system needs enough chain to be able to do it if you make a mistake & go there by accident or it just breaks stuff.

eckinspain
    Free Member

I don’t want that chainline but I’ve posted it to help others advise me if it’s too short or not

bigyinn
    Free Member

That all depends on the rider and their mechanical sympathy (or lack of).

I’ve run med cage mechs for years and never had an issue, because im aware of what gears in using. If the OP strays into the big / big combination occasionally then add a link to be safe.

JRTG
    Free Member

Somehow I read it as my chin is too short… Must be tired

fasthaggis

but the system needs enough chain to be able to do it if you make a mistake & go there by accident or it just breaks stuff.

I get all that,but ..
    I see roadies doing big big a lot and it makes me cry for the chain.

I grew up believing that an extreme chain line was a bad thing,so I just never do it. It’s like an auto pilot thing now 🙂

eckinspain
    Free Member

I don’t think I’ve ever gone big-big by accident and I’m quite careful about it so can I leave it as it is?

tinsy
    Free Member

eckinspain, its OK, maybe 1 more link wont have hurt, but its fine.

grum
    Free Member

Fine IMO.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

It’s fine on a hardtail frame. It goes into that gear without damage, that’s all you need. You won’t often if ever actually use that combo so all you need is to know that if you do it by accident you won’t break something.

eckinspain
    Free Member

If I did want to add another link can I just add another powerlink next to the current one?

eckinspain
    Free Member

Thanks for all your help.

cookeaa

If I did want to add another link can I just add another powerlink next to the current one?

you can link in a couple of extra links if you need to, I keep all the little sections of chain left over from previous shortenings just in cas e I do need to extend a chain by a couple of links…

patriotpro
    Free Member

If it breaks, you know it’s not ok. If not it’ll be fine. 😉

taxi25
    Free Member

Id put another link in there. You cant just add another powerlink, it needs to be riveted in. Pop ir back to the shop and get them to do it.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

It’s long enough to reach the gears you should never knowingly use – what the heck else do you want – a longer and more flappy chain?!?

That length is fine. Case closed.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

+1 its fine, big/big shows its got a couple of extra links there.

gofaster, interesting pic-I’ve always had mine as the OPs with the rear mech cage vertical on smallest sprocket (as per my first post) but never actually seen this advocated.

portlyone

I see roadies doing big big a lot and it makes me cry for the chain.

I imagine the roadies only have a double so the angles won’t be as extreme

boblo
    Free Member

There was a big thread on this over on Bike Radar recently. Chain too short, jammed, derallieur twisted, chainstay snapped, frame farked…..

Sometimes in big/big, the chain can be only just long enough when using all the slack from the derallieur tension. The whole lot binds and it is really obvious. This doesn’t look too far from that. You’re aiming for a balance between too much chain and the derailleur wrapping back on itself in small/small and too little and binding the whole lot up. How does it look small/small? If it’s not completely wrapped back on itself and there’s no binding in big/big, it should be OK (no implied guarantee 🙂 ).

I’m not advocating riding small/small or big/big just using the extremes during set up.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘This chain is too short isn´t it?’ is closed to new replies.