Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • This Bike Has MS
  • DrT
    Free Member

This project struck a chord a with me. An interesting way of raising awareness of MS and the sometimes hidden symptoms of the disease.

This bike has MS

Bregante

Really interesting idea. They went to a great deal of effort to set it up when they could have just borrowed hora’s though.

monkeychild
    Free Member

This is fantastic. A good friend of mine is in a bad way with MS and it’s amazing how very few people understand what the disease is.

Harris
    Free Member

Thanks for posting DrT. I can relate to this but thankfully my wheels aren’t as buckled. No yet anyway.
    Harris. Sufferer

speedstar

Thanks for posting this. My sister has MS so very personal to myself. Great idea.

chvck
    Free Member

+1! I have more issues when I dismount the bike than on it at the moment.

Harris
    Free Member

@ chvck. These days my pedalling is confined to a spinning bike in the shed. Still love it though. Twenty minutes each morning is a great way to start the day. I can relate to the dismount for sure.
    Stay upright fella.

chvck
    Free Member

Ah that’s a bugger, I’m still getting out there but anything steep or if I have to get off and walk and it knocks my legs for six. Respect to you for keeping it up, have you considered an ebike? I’ve ordered one to help keep me going and so I can keep riding with friends.

MrOvershoot

Very hard for me to watch, my wife’s MS is now way past the point where she has much quality of life 🙁

Totally unable to stand, left arm uncontrollable if moved away from her body, right arm very shaky with almost no dexterity to her hands, continually pulling herself to the left so she’s permanently twisted now, blind in right eye with left eye very shaky, permanently exhausted (fell asleep while I was feeding her breakfast).

The worst thing though is her cognitive decline, those of you who have had or have relatives with dementia will know the person you knew has gone from your life.

Harris
    Free Member

@ chvck. I had to stop MTBing while I was being diagnosed (early 2010). I could no longer get the ‘power down’, so switched to road biking. I did this for a couple of years but eventually gave it up. I’m affected down my left side and as such the pedalling, even on the slightest gradient was causing further weakness. I’ve thought about the ebikes but they’re not for me. My balance isn’t great and to be honest, it would frustrate the hell out of me. Living on the edge of the Lake District and having made fourteen trips to Ciclo Montana previously, may go some way to explain this. I don’t really miss it anymore, it’s part of accepting MS. As long as my former riding buddies continue to tell me where they’ve been riding and how much of a good time they had, I’ll take it.
    On you go…. :-

@ Mr Overshoot. Having just read your post, I’ve nothing to complain about. I hope you’re both getting the support you need.

MrOvershoot

Harris – Member
    @ Mr Overshoot. Having just read your post, I’ve nothing to complain about. I hope you’re both getting the support you need.

Sometimes is all I can say, Working full time & being on call + caring is taking its toll on me.
    Its a very lonely place is all I can say, I probably don’t help myself by being mostly upbeat at work so most have no idea how hard it is.

Harris
    Free Member

@ MrOvershoot. I’ve no idea where you’re based but there should be a local branch of the MS Trust and or MS Society. Both aren’t just there to support sufferers but also family members and carers. I’m sure you’ll know all this but please reach out to them. Your health is as important as that of Mrs OS.
    If I can help in any way, let me know.
    Stay strong.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

MrOvershoot.
    Puts all our bitching about broken toys into perspective.

Please don’t neglect to look after yourself. You have a lot to deal with as well as your wife, so do seek help from friends and professionals. Sometimes just having someone to listen to YOUR problems can make such a difference.

Thoughts are with you fella, and anyone else on here in a similar position.

MrOvershoot

Harris I’m based in the NW bit of Cheshire, TBH all the MS Trust & MS Society stuff tends to make me & the wife a bit pissed off as it only ever shows people with MS doing amazing things!
    If she could brush her teeth without injuring herself it would be a happy evening & even knowing what day it is would be great for us both.

rollingdoughnut I know what I’m supposed to do but I’m your typical bloke who thinks he can do it all. TBH I often end up in a puddle of tears when everyone else is gone, this place is often the only place I have left to stop myself doing something stupid.

senorj

Very interesting way of explaining it.
    Thanks for posting it.

Harris. 😉

Mr Overshoot – I’m really sorry about your wife and that you’re in a low way.
    I hope you can get some help.

F#ck MS as well.

MrOvershoot

Sorry for dragging this up but I had to post on the Front Page

As someone who is living with the effects of SPMS, not me but my wife its heart wrenching seeing all these wonderful people put so much effort into promoting awareness.

And yet still they all seem to have a quality of life far removed from ours!

I would dearly love for my wife to be able to do 10% of what she used to do but no solution or drugs are on offer
    She is in hospital at this moment following the loss of 1 pt of blood & I’m in bits at my inability to help the woman I love.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘This Bike Has MS’ is closed to new replies.