Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Thirlmere Zip wire
  • edlong
    Free Member

Prefer we left some areas unspoiled, Thirlmere is the wrong place.

While I can see the arguments against this, instinctively that ^ kind of nonsense makes me want them to include a McDonalds and a Multiplex.

What is in reality a man made reservoir described as “unspoilt”? Taking the piss, surely.

Drac

I seen that on the local news the other night, they had previously said they had no objections. 😕

crazy-legs

Thirlmere sits on the juntion of two low flying routes in and out of Windermere/Keswick. One goes off between Garburn and Kirkstone Passes then there’s a fork to either drop down to Ullswater or cross between Fairfield and Helvellyn and into Thirlmere.

Once into Thirlmere there’s another fork, either right down the valley into St Johns in the Vale or left and over the northern end of Derwent and up to Bassenthwaite.

I’m surprised they didn’t object in the first place. They normally do.

johnx2
    Free Member

…and who wants tourists sliding down a wire to interfere with our traditional Lakeland low-flying jets?

midlifecrashes

I don’t think the MOD have thought this through, think of the potential fuel savings on carrier training.

martinhutch

Getting buzzed by a jet (or carried off by one) would add spice to a mundane slide across the lake.

Mark

Thank goodness for the MOD. Stepping in and preventing the peace and tranquillity of the valley being disrupted by the whizz and distraction of people suspended on a wire by pointing out that their supersonic jets need to pass by.

martinhutch

The sound of a close-passing Tornado is a far more awe-inspiring and majestic sound than the wailing of some chubby salesman from Wigan as he slides down a wire.

One of my clearest formative memories in the hills was getting buzzed by a jet on the flank of Great Gable when I was about six. Even got a wave. Good times. 🙂

slowoldman

The sound of a close-passing Tornado is a far more awe-inspiring and majestic sound than the wailing of some chubby salesman from Wigan as he slides down a wire.

Quite right. I used to

love watching the Lightnings in the Ogwen Valley. Fast jets don’t generate traffic either, or take over forest trails.

airtragic
    Free Member

Point of order: we don’t fly supersonic over land;). Not so much a change in stance as a clarification of the proposal, bit of consideration, then an objection. The cable is actually higher than a low flying jet, not much fun for either party!.

jekkyl

Target practice surely, for the airmen!
    ‘Chubby salesman from Wigan sighted and locked on.’
    *dhhhd hdhhhd ddhhhh dhhhh* (sounds of bullets followed by a large splash)

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Would there be enough bits left to make a big splash?

ElShalimo
    hodgynd
    Free Member

Delighted with that result …now go away with your tail between your legs and don’t come back again !

whitestone
    Free Member

If you’ve got a while then here’s the planning officer’s report Looks doubtful that any similar scheme would get approval in the national park.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Thirlmere Zip wire’ is closed to new replies.