Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Thinking we might get a dog from a rescue centre
  • Dolcered

Although we both had lived with dogs in our childhood, neither of us had one for 15 years or so. We decided on a German Shepherd, again, we were both new to the breed The rescue we went for have been running for some time,and did the usual initial home check, security, garden suitability etc (i ruined my nails building a higher fence 🙁 ), they chose a dog for us taking into account we were new to the breed.

Don’t be put off by being a first time dog owner. The first month for us was on foster terms only, if anything wasnt working out the rescue people were on hand to help out. (i have a year old nephew so it was important that little people werent going to be a problem).

Maddie is 4, she did know her commands, but we took her to training classes anyway, good as a refresher if youve not had a dog for a while. As i cant resist, heres another piccie :-

Maddie3 002a by Dolce Red, on Flickr

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Great advice thanks – visiting the RSPCA and Dogs Trust tomorrow to get a feel for the whole adoption process etc, and then if we feel it will work for us we will inform the kids!!

As far as breed, we are not at all fussed, but will probally steer clear of anything with ‘bull’ in the name… Our last dog was a collie cross and she was superb, so a collie type might be a preference, however, temprement will be our first thought.

C.I.S.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ciderinsport/5445976901/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ciderinsport/5446577900/

And just to add to the photo side of this thread, this was Jazz, who died September 09 at 15 years old!! She had a great life!!

You might have had a good one cider, but my experience of collies leads me to believe that most of them are a bit wierd

petrieboy

Monty came from a rescue centre as a pup probably 3 or 4 months old, they thought he was a lab/english mastiff probably due to his colouring. who knows what he really is – we call him the Labrasaurus.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

my experience of collies leads me to believe that most of them are a bit weird

I’ve noticed a couple of folks on here say the same thing – find it really surprising as we’ve owned Collies for years and never had any particular problems. One thing that’s very important if you own a Border Collie is to give them lots of mental stimulation in addition to a reasonable level of exercise.

Our current pair enjoying the recent snow:

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Update!
    Went to the RSPCA and they were less than helpfull, and very standoff-ish!
    So we went to the dogs trust at Salisbury – brilliant, friendly etc…

Got to see lots of dogs, nothing suitable, so we were about to leave when they said ‘well we have just taken a black lab in, he’s 11 months old with no issues except for a flea allergy that is under control’

Long story cut short, home visit tomorrow, rehoming talk on Thursday, taking children to meet him Saturday, and if they all get on he will come home with us then 😆

Now thats quick! Photos to follow when he gets here! (all being well!)

C.I.S.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Went to the RSPCA and they were less than helpfull, and very standoff-ish!
    So we went to the dogs trust at Salisbury – brilliant, friendly etc…

Nothing about those statements surprises me. The RSPCA only seem to worry about how quickly they can put the blighters down sometimes. Yay for the Dogs Trust!

Good news – have you a name yet? 🙂

piha
    Free Member

Well done ciderinsport, hurry up with those photo’s

ciderinsport
    Free Member

He’s called Ollie!
    Photos on Saturday, when we get him home (all being well!)

C.I.S.

Dolcered

brilliant news. photos a must.
    loving the 3rd pic of Monty, he has gsd lugs when hes running 🙂

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Well, it’s been a busy week, but now Ollie has a new home!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ciderinsport/5458654702/
    DSCF0242

donsimon
    Free Member

He looks ace. May you all be very happy together.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Thinking we might get a dog from a rescue centre’ is closed to new replies.