Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Thinking of tying to learn how to play the guitar
  • sideshowdave
    Free Member

Ok thinking of buying a electric guitar to learn on, any advice on what to buy? Or how hard it’s going to be?
    Yes I know I’m asking this on a bike forum and not a guitar forum but l trust this place.

midlifecrashes
    bobbyg81
    Free Member

Buy one of these
    60s

Look down the bottom and you’ll see 50’s, 70’s, 80′, 90’s and acoustic editions etc.
    They have chord boxes at the top of the page that are easy to read for a beginner, have a great range of songs, so there will be lots you will like.

As for guitars, it depends on your budget. Spend a wee bit more than a hundred quid starter guitar and you can get something that sounds and plays alot better. You’d be more likely to stick at it.

Something Epiphone or Yamaha perhaps. Ive got an Epiphone PR5-E and it is a great guitar to play. It is almost as easy to play as an electric, sounds great and can be plugged in when needed. It’s the best value for money guitar I can think of.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bobbyg81
    Free Member

Just notice you want an electric. Do you want to play lead or rythmn?

sideshowdave
    Free Member

Don’t know yet, just want to see if I can learn 1st 😀

bobbyg81
    Free Member

Is youre heart set on an electric? Acoustics are far nicer to learn on. Especially when you are playing chords and having a sing a long.

sideshowdave
    Free Member

Yes heart set on electric, want to play the music I like to listen to really.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Acoustics are far nicer to learn on.

I didn’t find that at all. I much preferred playing once I got my own electric guitar as opposed to the acoustics I’d played before hand.

As with anything, spend as much as you can, over the cheap started guitars as it will be nicer to play and you’ll probably stick at it as you’ve invested more and it sounds and looks better.

As with learning anything you need to put time into it and not expect results straight away, but its a grand instrument.

Oh and dont “try and learn”, actually learn 🙂

leffeboy

Oh and dont “try and learn”, actually learn

Liking that

No-one has mentioned an amount yet but it may be like someone asking here how much they should spend on a bike :). I’m thinking that things start to get a bit nicer over 300 but I don’t know much about electrics

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I’m thinking that things start to get a bit nicer over 300 but I don’t know much about electrics

A very decent Epiphone can be had around that amount, or 2nd hand you’d get something very nice I reckon.

My Telecaster cost around the 300 mark 2nd hand in very good condition, it sounds and plays very nicely indeed.

meddle
    Free Member

I tried, it’s too hard for me. My fingers are ruined. I can’t even play Guitar Hero. Good luck though, it’s never too late, my father started in his 40s and he’s pretty decent now.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i started with a guitar that was 12quid out the paper and a book – david hamburger acoustic guitar method.

for 300 my advice would be cheap acoustic guitar and lessons.

bobbyg81
    Free Member

Acoustics are far nicer to learn on.

I didn’t find that at all. I much preferred playing once I got my own electric guitar as opposed to the acoustics I’d played before hand.

I suppose it depends what you’re playing. I was into playing rhythm and I just didnt like singing along to just a clean electric guitar. As a solo instrument it suited me better.

As for an electric Id look for a second han Epi Les Paul. Not the Studio!!!! An Epi Sg or a Fender Tele.
    My mate bought a burns Cobra and if you like the syling it well worth the dough. Sounds and plays great!

tall_martin

Ask yourself if you have loads of free time to learn. I started playing again and spent 10h a week at it for several months. I can play a tune ok and I’m happy with that but don’t have the time to play nearly as much at the moment.

I’d go for a basic yamaha electric over a acoustic. Electrics at low end of things are easier to play. My mates old martin acoustic is lovely but at the price he paid so it should be.

I started learning again on an electro- acoustic. Its not very loud and I was in a shared house at the time. Its easier to play than an acoustic but not as easy as an electric.

If you are interested I’ll have a lovely electric and the electro acoustic up for sale soon. (court g290 and a fender strat acoustic. Both set up by my local guitar tec)

Martin

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Electrics at low end of things are easier to play.

personally i find my electric (fender 1960s classic player) harder than my ‘go to’ acoustic (little martin).

ok fair enough its easier to get a sound out the electric with a basic power chord and some distortion, but otherwise i find there is loads of fiddling and after a year of it i still can’t figure out what i really want to play with it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Thinking of tying to learn how to play the guitar’ is closed to new replies.