Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Thinking of swapping from Ragley Bluepig X to a 456 Carbon……
  • Grupper205
    Free Member

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice really. I built up a large Ragley Blue Pig X a couple of years ago but never really seemed to get on with it. I think part of the problem may be that the frame is very slack/agressive and I tend to choose my Orange Alpine 160 due to it’s similar geometry but with the aid of a rear shock.

I’m contemplating swapping the frame for a carbon On One 456, probably the pre evo version to make more of a XC/winter hack style bike to use as an alternative to my Alpine.

Has anyone else ever experienced a slack headed hardtail and full sus at the same time and preferred one over the other?

BadlyWiredDog

Has anyone else ever experienced a slack headed hardtail and full sus at the same time and preferred one over the other?

Yes, but I’m not sure how that’ll help you with your thinking of swapping to a 456 Carbon? Isn’t the pre-eco 456 Carbon less slack than a Ragley anyway while the Evo version is similarly slack, but with a slightly lower bottom bracket. Or is that what you were getting at? How about something a little different like a 650b+ hardtail?

Grupper205
    Free Member

Thanks for your reply BWD.

Yes I’m thinking about getting a slightly less slack hardtail, for more of a do it all kind of frame rather than something designed to be chucked down a mountain, so hence my thoughts of a pre evo carbon 456.

In answer to your suggestion of trying an alternative wheels size, I’d be looking to utilise my current 26″ (I love a bit of old school!!! Ha ha) wheelset and tapered forks.

Being as I’ve not used the blue pig for over a year I best get it on the for sale section and then have a ponder what to replace it with.

chakaping
    Free Member

The original c456 is a nice all-rounder for XC riding IMO.

Why they haven’t done a bigger-wheeled version I don’t know.

Northwind

TBH whenever I described my C456 I said something like “alright” or “not bad”. Mine replaced an Mmmbop and was replaced by a Ragley Ti which I still have and still love, and would never describe as alright or not bad…

YMMV, I like a slacker bike anyway, and by modern standards the Ragley geo isn’t really extreme… But I just find it a superb allrounder- a proper allrounder, I’ve raced XC and enduro on mine but also solo’d the glentress seven on it. Weight aside I don’t think the C456 was as good at anything tbf. But it got the job done.

All a matter of taste of course.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Thinking of swapping from Ragley Bluepig X to a 456 Carbon……’ is closed to new replies.