Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • thinking of renting a house, help needed
  • milkyman
    Free Member

I am thinking of renting a house but not sure on how much I should budget on, just for the house not inc all other house hold bills, so what do you think

my net wage after everything is about £800 per week so given that how much do you think would be a wise amount to spend, I have been looking in the 500-600 per month area

gordimhor

All depends on what size of house you need and what area you live in.

milkyman
    Free Member

forgetting size and area, I just thought what would be a sensible amount to spend, that was all

if you were in my shoes kinda thing, how much would you spend given that amount of income

BoardinBob

Isn’t this just a thinly veiled attempt to let everyone known you earn about £60,000 a year?

br
    Free Member

I am thinking of renting a house but not sure on how much I should budget on, just for the house not inc all other house hold bills, so what do you think

vs what?

As little as you can spend, for the property/area you want.

stewartc
    Free Member

On a salary like that you could buy a house or flat surely?
    Rule of thumb I live by is 30% Rent/Mortgage, 30% bills and food, 25% save and the rest spunk against the wall.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How do you currently find accommodation?

Rental prices are generally dictated by the number of bedrooms and the town/suburb. Quality does not really come into it.

If your take home is £3500/month then £500/600/month rent wont be much of a problem. I would suggest that you employ me for financial advice though, Paypal gift – in fact just mail me your bank details and I’ll sort it out.

bearnecessities

£60k as a milkman???!

spacemonkey

Bit of a weird question IMO.

If you’re bright enough to do something that earns you c £60k then surely you can look up what’s available in your chosen area AND figure out the cost of living?

samuri
    Free Member

If you’re bright enough to do something that earns you c £60k then surely you can look up what’s available in your chosen area AND figure out the cost of living?

AAAAAAHH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!! 😉

Sorry. I’ve worked with people on double that who couldn’t work out basic tax calculations.

Milkyman, we’re just about to rent our house out in that exact price range. You’re not looking for somewhere near Wigan are you?

milkyman
    Free Member

What is it with some people on here, I wasn’t trying to be smart, just a straight forward question, if you had 800 a week what would you be prepard to spend on rent

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

1/4 of your earning (pm) on rent as a maximum 1/4 on bills 1/4 saved 1/4 on bikes/women/fast cars etc.

spchantler
    Free Member

flounce alert, flounce alert

bearnecessities

I don’t think it can be qualified in percentage terms like that really, you need to consider along with other cost savings or increases, like:

Travel impact (will you need a car/newer car/more petrol/get rid/less petrol?).

Heating (is it flashy & modern, or a lovely old detached cottage that leaks heat).

Council tax band / insurance impact of area (car most importantly, it could easily rise quite a bit pending postcode, unlikely to drop!).

There’s others, but basically if you more to a nice crime-free area into a nice well-insulated house, then spend more on rent (and you’ll probably be forced to), go the other way, then you’ll need more in back pocket.

(…and it is a bit of an odd OP to be fair!)

project
    Free Member

What is it with some people on here, I wasn’t trying to be smart, just a straight forward question, if you had 800 a week what would you be prepard to spend on rent

What you are currently spending, DOH.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘thinking of renting a house, help needed’ is closed to new replies.