Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Thinking of putting together a really cheap hardtail…but theres a problem…
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Have decided to put together a cheapo hardtail for general commuting, putting in the miles on the local canal path, and the odd trip up the pentlands.

Already got some old bits kicking about so really just need to source a cheap frame and forks. Now the plan was to pick these up second hand on here for about 150 quid for both, however the problem is all my wheels are 15mm axels 🙁

Anyone know of any forks that run these that don’t cost an arm and a leg, happy with rigids if thatll be cheaper. Realise I might have to expand my budget a bit, however on CRC they appear to start at about £250, as opposed to about 100 quid for a basic 9mm qr fork 🙁

vdubber67
    Free Member

Cheaper and easier to use standard qr forks, and buy a cheapy front wheel surely?

garage-dweller

Rigid fork and new or secondhand 9mm qr wheel.

Assume none of the 15mm wheels can be converted to 9mm?

Spin
    Free Member

Go rigid. Cheap suspension forks are worse than no suspension.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Apparently mavic do some cups that go inside a 15mm front wheel to allow its use in qr forks, that’s probably cheaper than a new wheel or sucking up the extra for a newer/less old 15mm fork. Or do a swap on the classifieds?

[edit] Here it is.

makkag
    Free Member

Thread Hijack Im breaking up my HT Cube acid 2009 this weekend – OK condition (its been used but not abused) , 6 month old Hope headset, FSA Stem, Bars, Scape Seatpost, Seat and Hope QR seat £125 .. also have a set of Mavic Cross rides and Rebas but they may not fit your budget.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Yeah, I’d considered the new front wheel option, which was cheaper. But Julian has come up with the ideal solution…if they’ll work with a shimano front hub?

As for forks, whats this little fella like

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FOOOCR26DO/on_one_cromo_26er_mtb_fork_disc_only

Reminds me of what I had on my first bike back in 1992…loved that old raleigh, proper mountainbiking:-)

julianwilson
    Free Member

tpbiker, dunno about if they work with shimano hubs or even if anywhere in europe stocks them, but there are a couple of threads about it on stw and mtbr that will be worth a look.

takisawa2

Niner have a 15mm carbon rigid out soon. Only £400. 🙂

Them On-One forks will be heavy & stiff. Save the cash & pick up an ex bike-to-work commuter, like a Carrera or Boardman.

julioflo
    Free Member

Thread Hijack 2.
    I have a good condition Mavic Crossride front wheel sat spare – £30 posted if that’ll help you out?

Tom83

I’ve got a pair of kona project2 rigid forks in the basement, used for about 100 miles before i got some suspension. £30 posted if you want em.

garage-dweller

Yeah, I’d considered the new front wheel option, which was cheaper. But Julian has come up with the ideal solution…if they’ll work with a shimano front hub?

As for forks, whats this little fella like

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FOOOCR26DO/on_one_cromo_26er_mtb_fork_disc_only

Reminds me of what I had on my first bike back in 1992…loved that old raleigh, proper mountainbiking:-)

I’ve got a set of these plugged into my 456 at the moment as the boingy Fox’s have gone into an FS build.

They seem ok but not ridden them in anger or on more than towpaths yet. Loads of room for a 2.3 tyre in there. I’ve popped in a 2.2 rubber queen and acres of space round that. They seem pretty “SOLID” so probably going to get some trail buzz through them!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Thinking of putting together a really cheap hardtail…but theres a problem…’ is closed to new replies.