Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Thinking of moving to the Stroud, Gloucester area
  • lordsalop
    Free Member

Hello all,

I am thinking of moving to the Stroud area this summer having temporally relocated to Bristol last year for work. Now Bristol is great but the exorbitant house prices and lack of future schooling for our little one puts us off. We had some great friends in Manchester and good riding (have to say that as they read this forum!), so whilst the Mrs worries herself on mumsnet I’m here to settle the really important stuff. So….

1) is the riding any good? I’m going to take this for granted, being nestled in the Cotswolds with a plenty of valleys and forest to explore.

2). is there anyone to ride with? WLTM people who don’t take themselves too seriously, believe its about the ride not the rig and most importantly understand that when all said and done MB’ing is really about earning a thirst for the local pub!!!

Whilst I’m here anything I ought to avoid when house seeking here?

Cheers for your advice

alfabus
    Free Member

1) Yes
    2) Yes (Bigfoot and CC-CC both have the correct ride/pub attitude, plus loads of other people around to ride with if you don’t fancy a club)

Dave

IHN

1) Yes Yes. Road, CX and MTB, depending on your niche or lack thereof
    2) Yes (Bigfoot and CC-CC both have the correct ride/pub attitude, plus loads of other people around to ride with if you don’t fancy a club) Don’t forget the recently relaunched STW Cotswold Massiv 🙂

Whilst I’m here anything I ought to avoid when house seeking here

Stroud

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tang
    Free Member

Yes and yes there are some handy riders in the area. Plus between a few of us on here we have every trail covered from Wotton under edge to the Forrest of dean. Drop me a line for any info on Stroud. Locations, schools that sorta thing. Don’t listen to IHN (waves) there are some great parts of Stroud. I live in Nailsworth which is lovely and your not far from briz plus cam station is 15 minutes away for train commute.

lordsalop
    Free Member

So the town itself is a bit of a dive?

alfabus
    Free Member

Nice farmers’ market.

I was initially looking at Stroud, but moved to Cheltenham (Leckhampton) in the end – I preferred the feel of the place, and it was more convenient for work.

Dave

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

1) Yes, Your assumption is correct. Ride from the door, plenty of challenging uphills, great downhills off the commons and through woods.
    Plenty of areas to link together towards Cranham, Painswick, Nailsworth, Dursley.

2) I’d love to know? Most of my cycling is by myself. Interested in the replies to this. I did one ride with the Cotswold Massiv, figured they had become even more niche! Where do we find information?

3) There are some excellent pubs selling beer from local breweries in Uley, Stroud and Nailsworth. Finding a good pub will not be an issue.

Re: House Hunting.
    Check the aspect of any house, sunny side of the hill at different times of the day. Some of the valley bottoms are dark and cold, get a sunny spot on the hillside and you have epic views and evening sun.
    Parking can be a major issue, offroad parking may be important. If you want an example of this drive through Chalford or Woodchester on your house hunting trips. Narrow roads, cars everywhere.

IHN

Fair enough, I was being a bit unkind to Stroud. It’s okay. Nailsworth is smaller and nicer, as are Cirencester (about the same size) and Cheltenham (bigger). Gloucester has some nice suburbs, but the city centre was poorly served by the Luftwaffe and 1960’s planners.

Commuting to Brizzle-wise, Nailsworth, Stroud and ‘Nam are better served by trains, by car they’re all much of a muchness.

As for Da Cotswold Massiv, we (I) did disappear for a bit, but am now back and fully intend to get some weekend rides up and running again. I’ll post stuff on here in the week before so keep an eye out, and I’m thinking about starting a mailing list so drop me a line if you want to go on it. Certainly not niche, just riding normal bikes around whilst enjoying sociable chat/banter and post-ride pints. Then again, maybe normal is the new niche… 🙂

Peter – when did you come along?

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

IHN,

Couple of Christmas’s ago, met at the car park near The Kilkenny on a snowy day. Route went out round Colesbourne, Withington and many other snow covered hillsides, tough route as I remember but good ride.

binners

I very briefly, as a student, shared a house with a bloke from Stroud. He was a dick!

On the strength of that alone, I would never ever go near the place. Never mind live there. In fact… can I organise to have it carpet bombed?

lordsalop
    Free Member

Binners, keep your aggressive mancunian views to yourself! I’m trying to ingratiate myself to the good people of the west country, it’s all peace and love down here dude. Ben

richardk
    Free Member

The Heaven of the South Ride clicky might give you some idea for the riding.

Run by Edge MTB who are a good group (going solely on the basis of buying a bike from one of them last year)

IHN

Oh ****, do you know Binners? There’s no way you’re joining Da Massive then, you’re tainted by association with that baldy Manc t0$$pot 😉

Spookily, Binners joined Da Massiv once, and on the same ride that Peter came on. A ride on which, if I remember rightly, I nearly died from exhaustion and hypothermia. All good fun!

binners

Oops. Sorry M’lud *doffs cap*

Hang on a minute though. I thought you owned most of Gloucester? Can you not just have the natives chased off the land by the local yeomanry?

Or am I getting confused with Shropshire?

I did indeed join IHN (my internet twin) and the Cotswolds massive for one of the coldest rides I’ve ever been on. But then it was January in inches thick of snow. And very nice it was too

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

I though I remembered Binners on the snow ride, I think the general consensus was that it was hard going, I think whoever was leading cut it slightly short before limbs dropped off.

Looking forward to the next one already,

monkey_boy
    Free Member

1) yes over the bridge 😉

IHN

I think whoever was leading cut it slightly short before limbs dropped off.

That wasn’t me, I was very much at the back, clinging on for dear life. But thank god they did…

Had a massive burger in the Hungry Horse after though, so that made it okay 🙂

lordsalop
    Free Member

Yes Binners Shropshire you imbecile, christ knows how we survive without more of us going to eton. I was hoping to start afresh without a poshtw@t badge, looks like I’ll have to start a save the Gloucester badger from culling campaign to fit in now.

IHN

Hold on, is he a posh ****t?

Then he should definately move to Cirencester.

Aristotle
    Free Member

IHN – Member

Hold on, is he a posh ****t?

Think fast-living, hard-driving playboy. Like a young Prince Andrew, but with better breeding.

Be prepared to tug your forelock.

IHN

Think fast-living, hard-driving playboy. Like a young Prince Andrew, but with better breeding.

Then he’ll f***ing love Cirencester.

binners

Whatever you do, don’t lend him your car! No matter what his staff threaten you with

mogrim

I very briefly, as a student, shared a house with a bloke from Stroud. He was a dick!

Wasn’t called Euan by any chance?

tang
    Free Member

This Euan, you don’t happen to have a surname…..
    Don’t worry this area is full of people trying to escape their breeding but in handy distance from waitrose and London and familier faces. Plenty of posh dropouts.

lordsalop
    Free Member

Look, I can’t help the quiff my hair just does that and having more than five GCSEs is unusual in Manchester.

binners

It wasn’t Euan. But they may have been related

and having more than five GCSEs is unusual in Manchester.

What’s a GCSE?

IHN

What’s a GCSE?

It’s what those of us in Cheshire got whilst you Manc lot played with crayons.

Luckily, you managed to make a career out of it 🙂

lordsalop
    Free Member

However, on checking Cirencester I can confirm the period features and quaint little lanes will really suit the Aston. Even found a house painted pink, f&@king lovely

lordsalop
    Free Member

Is there a nice bistro nearby?

IHN

keeps quiet about the fact that he’s moving to Cirencester next month

IHN

Apparently, my friend says that there are a number of nice pubs and restaurants in Cirencester. And an excellent Waitrose. And some lovely little bakeries, coffee shops and delis. He, my friend you understand, also said that in many of the surrounding villages there are some wonderful pubs that do excellent food.

Aristotle
    Free Member

lordsalop – Member

However, on checking Cirencester I can confirm the period features and quaint little lanes will really suit the Aston.
    Good for drifting?

tang
    Free Member

Cirencester is rubbish for riding. Not so many Etonians this way, everyone went to Harrow. Thank god that tradition ended with my Dad!

mogrim

tang – Member
    This Euan, you don’t happen to have a surname…..

Can’t remember, met him in Southampton. Not a nasty guy, just weird.

IHN

Cirencester is rubbish for riding.

I’ve been looking at this, for my friend you understand, and I reckon that it’s not as bad as I, sorry, he, initially thought. Pretty easy to link North through to Bisley, Sapperton, the Duntisbournes, Slad etc. Not a fat lot going South though, dead flat. Nice roadie country though

tang
    Free Member

Yes good point road rides from Cherrington to pretty much Oxford are really good. Cirencester, south cerney, fairford etc. but good off road you need a car. Btw it might be worth noting that cranham is sort of off limits(mostly) for now.

tang
    Free Member

Did this Euan like table football and have a vw bus and be about 40 now?

s4rpf
    Free Member

Hmm would like to know when you all have a ride out. Work in AS
    Andoversford and live in Gloucester but have never ridden in the area normaly just go to the FOD

mossimus
    Free Member

Tang/Mogrim

Yep that’s the one Scott taggart IIRC?

mogrim

lol small world.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Thinking of moving to the Stroud, Gloucester area’ is closed to new replies.