Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • thinking of going 1×10, any thoughts?
  • captain_bastard
    Free Member

i'm running 1×9 at the moment, and am pretty happy with it. Smacked the shifter and broke the housing (but still works), and need a new chain and re-mech,

so figured if i'm replacing these, may as well go 10 speed, and gain a 36 at the rear.

anyone used 1×10 yet? take it I have to get a 10 speed chainring, if so, anyone know where to get one?

sorry if it's already been done to death, did a quick search and nothing came up?

tinsy
    Free Member

njee20 is your man for this one, but as far as I know, you can run the chainring you have, and mech too if its salvagable, but you will need the chain cassette and shifters.

captain_bastard
    Free Member

mech's on it's last legs (is 9 years old) so i think i'll have to bite the bullet

would be good if i could keep the chainring, but perhaps a good idea to change all at once

anyone know when the shimano 10 speed will be available? and is it any better than SRAM's?

tracknicko
    Free Member

why not just go 1×9? i doubt you'll feel much difference. and youll be able to do it MUCH cheaper.

captain_bastard
    Free Member

as i have to replace most of the parts anyway, and cost for STX doesn't look much different, i'm thinking why not?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

read the op nicko

ooOOoo
    Free Member

You'll just spend more time shifting gears

nickc

Aye, go for it. May as well.

njee20
    Free Member

Sit tight for a little while, if nothing else the price of XX cassettes and shifters is absolutely laughable, and mine seems to be wearing just as quickly as an XTR cassette.

Once SLX/X.7 are available I think it would make a lot of sense, you should be fine with your current chainring, the 11-36 cassette gives a really wide range, would go nicely with a 34/36 chainring I'd say.

According to the Madison website SLX 10 speed 11-36 cassettes and pairs of pods are due on the 19th July, so not too long to wait! RH only pods are due 26th July. Sensible prices too, £50 for the cassette, and £30 for the RH shifter, reckon that'll convince a lot of people to shift when stuff's worn out.

Mister-P
    Free Member

You may need to change your rear mech too depending on what you have at the moment. Older ones are only rated to a 34T so if you go to 36T you may have the top jockey catching the cassette.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘thinking of going 1×10, any thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.