Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Thinking of getting a cannondale prophet like a cheap mans five.
  • GEDA
    Free Member

So what are they like. What is the warranty like. Anything else for a similar price? Say a giant reign or Trance?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

I have a prophet now (had a trance before)

The prophet is a good climber and great descender, very stable but also quite light (mine is about 29lb)

Warranty wise – i broke the shock mount on my swingarm and they replaced it FOC within 2 weeks

Trance is less travel and steeper

GEDA
    Free Member

I think they have a life time warranty

sootyandjim
    Free Member

I wouldn't call the Prophet a "cheap man's five", rather the Orange Five is an hugely over-priced Cannondale Prophet.

The Prophet is a fantastic bike and if it weren't for the fact I'm simplifying my MTBing (going ht and singlespeed) I'd buy a new one before they are all gone.

z1ppy

Cannondale warrenty has not the greatest reputation for speed, but then Oranges gets slagged regularly too…. so horses for courses

Prophet is definitely has the reputation as the poor mans 5, very similar angles/travel but it not that it's cheap, it just the oranges are so poorly spec'd for the money!
    Would like to try a 5 to compare them but haven't, and am very happy with my Prophet.
    2nd hand my 06 complete bike cost the same as some ppl want for a 2nd hand Orange 5 frame!
    Thats not a poor man 5, just a complete fricken bargain!

If it helps at all, a work colleague dumped a 2008 Trance X for an Orange 5 and is more than happy, apparently after riding it, it made the Trance feel stunted.

bauchlebastart
    Free Member

ROFL – I am amazed you got a warranty replacement from Cannondale in 2 weeks. Mine took 6 weeks and even then i had to spit the dummy to move things along.

GEDA Great bikes but are noticably more flexi in the rear than a five.

DustyLilac
    Free Member

Prophets are simply superb.

You could pedal one all day, up, along and down pretty much anything. I use mine for mucking about in the woods, local 'freeride' jumps, singletrack, mini DH and the occasional trail centre trip – did the Kona Mash-Up on it – perfect!

Ben from the magazine has done allsorts on his including DH races and uplift days.

Rickos
    Free Member

They are excellent bikes and no way a poor mans version of anything. Orange only gave the 5 similar geometry for 2009 while the Prophet has been ahead of the game in that respect. Its geo seemed long, low and slack just a couple of years ago and now seems to have become the norm for great trailbikes that can descend brilliantly.

GEDA
    Free Member

Sounds good to me. Any point getting the 1 over the 2? I ride a Prince Albert over here in Sweden and have a patriot in the UK but wanted something that was a bit faster/Zingy and the Prophet looks good.

bristolsurfer
    Free Member

I've got a Prophet MX & love it. Ridden back to back with my mate's 5 it feels better on steeper, rockier trails but the 5 feels a bit quicker on woodsey singletrack and both are significantly zingier/faster than a Patriot round Afan trails etc.

BTW Geda – can you tell me anything about riding in Sweden? Outside chance that we might relocate- friends live in Åkersberga just to the North of Stockholm so we'd probably be looking in that sort of area. They have told me there is good riding near Uppsala but they dont ride themselves so any pointers would be great.

dave

chakaping
    Free Member

Definitely worth investigating a Reign. Great bike.

ridethelakes
    Free Member

Love my Prophet, it was a bit of a punt when I bought mine as I've always bought expensive boutiquey bikes but I've been blown away by it. It's so well balanced, can manual and jump over stuff with ease but the front end doesn't feel light. Feels as solid through the rough stuff as my Ellsworth Moment with 36's too!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Thinking of getting a cannondale prophet like a cheap mans five.’ is closed to new replies.