Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • thinking of an orange alpine to replacey spec pitch…thoughts
  • kwack
    Free Member

Thinking of getting frame only to swap existing parts over…

Gotta try one before I buy but was wondering whether anyone haa done similar and what their thoughta were

Also want to fit my double and bash but note from the orange site that you can only use a 32t largest ring on 2×10 which is a pain as I have a 36t double…this is a 2×9…would this work or would I need ro buy a new triple and take the large ring off

Cheers
    Kwack

hora
    Free Member

Pitch is ‘ok’. I had the Enduro version. I now have a 08 Patriot that is in a different league. I cant see the Alpine being much different overall to the Patriot.

Go for it! 😀

zero-cool
    Free Member

Love my Alpine. I spent ages trying everything around the 150-160mm travel market and just found it to be the best at most things. Although I’m more of a potter up blast down rider rather than an XC whippet. Geometry is spot on and the bike is super stable at speed and in the air as well.

Planning on keeping it for a while and maybe supplementin it with a 29er hardtail. Preferred it to the Pitch I tried

kwack
    Free Member

Been looking at the nukeproof mega am frame which looks ver TT nice and around half the price of a alpine..

Gonna find a dealer near me that has both to try out

Any thoughts on the nukeproof looks a step up from the pitch

Kwack

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

can’t comment on Mega as never tried one.
    I do have two Oranges though. The >32t chainring thing seems to cause a foul for some people but not for others. Some can run a 36t without any issues but both mine foul the swingarm pivot if greater than 32t on the “middle”.
    In the worst case, you’d only have to replace your 36t chainring with a 32t, no need to buy a whole new chainset.

kendo954
    Free Member

love my alpine – would be very hard to change it to anything else..

you should be fine with the 36 ring if its an older 9 speed crank, the issue is the newer 10 speed double cranks being closer to the pivots.

i did run a 36 with no issue for a while before going to 32 as i never had any need for the 36..

in the process of going 1 x 10 at the mo

rob-jackson
    Free Member

I had this thought process a bit back. Can you buy a 26″ alpine anymore? I ended up with an El Guapo with new pikes, they Aw the main difference

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Where do you ride? Alpines look good, could be a bit much if you’re not into big days out 😀

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

The pitch front mech won’t fit the Orange. When I changed from pitch to five that was the only issue I remember, plus remember you will need to cut the break lines to feed them through the frame. The gxp on the pitch for with the 36 however for the sake of 20 quid buy the right size. Oh and the rear wheel needed changing due to the maxle

kendo954
    Free Member

Alpine is still 26″ and cables don’t go through the frame (at least not up to 2013)

grum
    Free Member

What forks do you have? Putting 36 Vans on my Pitch transformed it completely.

hora Pitch and Enduro are not identical.

nicksee
    Free Member

I’ve recently built my alpine up, super fun descending and pedals really well. I used a mixture of old bits from my five and new pike forks. Running 2×10 with 9 speed cranks 32t ring

mwleeds

On my five the chain intersects the pivot with a 36t ring it doesn’t with a 32t. I’ve run both and wouldn’t go back to a 32. It tightened up the suspension when pedalling with the 32T, as does using the granny, though that’s acceptable (if not desirable when climbing).

There was an article in dirt several years ago that went into pivot positioning relative to chain rings, I was quite informative and is worth a read.

mwleeds

Re-post deleted!

chakaping
    Free Member

Very nice nicksee.

I’d also see if CRC are still selling mega frames cheap though.

antennae
    Free Member

Def make sure you try first.

Orange’s single pivot suspension design is very different to what you’re used to on your Pitch. When I switched to a Patriot a few years back, I missed the feel of FSR four-bar and ended up switching back. Expensive experiment.

kwack
    Free Member

Yep will deffo try both out…I am running fox talas 36rc2 which I really like

I reckon I would need new front mech..maybe a 32t ring and a axle setup for the hope rear

Kwack

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Originally a pitch now nothing remains

mattr
    Free Member

Alpine owner. FSR owner.

Orange single pivots are a hoot to ride. So active. So much fun. But, you’ll have to adapt your riding style coming from FSR.

Basically, apply the brakes, and suspension no longer functions to any useful degree. That’s just the way it is.

So if you’re a brake dragger, you probably won’t get on with an Alpine. If you like to ping and float your way down, braking only when absolutely necessary, you’ll have a blast.

Climbs as well as any other bike of it’s weight, with a platform shock.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Hopefully this works, five with pitch parts

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As said above FSR and Single Pivots are very different.

Make sure you try properly, I also wouldn’t compromise running things like a 36/22 double due to the frame – as it’s in the blurb then you don’t have anything to come back on if your unlucky enough to get a frame that won’t work with more than 32 which is a little primitive really. I’m guessing my 39/24 would be right out….

Took a demo and it was good but not startling and certainly not worth the frame price tag IMHO.

Just have a check what other frames you can pick up for the money too, it’s not a cheap frame, especially as most people seem to insist that you need to swap to a CCDB too.

RustyNissanPrairie

and a change of username????

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and a change of username????

From the mods of another bike forum down under…

Choosing your username… THINK before you do it.
    Because if I get one more tool who asks me to change their username because their old username was the name of their bike, and now they don’t ride that bike anymore, I will stop changing usernames for EVERYONE.

Actually… I’ve changed my mind. If you named yourself after your bike (brilliant.), and you want it changed… well… tough luck.

I’m really getting tired of this crap.

Try thinking beyond the next year or two… DO NOT NAME YOURSELF AFTER YOUR BIKE… no matter how great you think it is. Choose a name that will actually last forever…

I mean, seriously people… am I dealing with five year-olds here?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘thinking of an orange alpine to replacey spec pitch…thoughts’ is closed to new replies.