Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Thinking about commuter-pimping my commuter
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Commuter pimping is not like normal pimping. It involves adding gadgets or changing components to make commuting easier. The list now includes:

1) Dynamo lights. Not only will I not have to charge anything but I can also leave them on the bike.

2) Kick stand – I ride with panniers, a kick stand would be useful

3) Hub gears and one of those enclosed chain guards that I always forget the name of

4) Custom frame bag that goes at the front of the main triangle. This will have room for my lock, and waterproof pockets on the side for my wallet, phone and keys.

What else do I need?

TheBrick
    Free Member

One of those crap rear wheel brake locks. At least one exta set of handle bars. A air horn. Spokepov. Coffee cup holder. Spokey dokies

shermer75
    Free Member

I’ve got dynamo lights and hub gear on my commuter too- love it.

Maybe pinhead bolt for the front wheel, so you don’t have to lock it?

Also, tri-bars and team sky replica kit, obvs 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Coffee cup holder.

Already got one 🙂

Forgot to mention a wheel light that my neice and nephew bought me for my birthday 🙂

Hmm – don’t lock the front wheel now, but I might if it’s got a dynamo in it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You’ll need some lights. Oh, and cameras.

(Met him a few times, as it happens. Nice guy. Obsessed to the point of concern, but a nice guy.)

JoeG
    Free Member
    TheBrick
    Free Member

Solid tyres. Green ones.

m360
    Free Member

AWESOME! I want one!

TheBrick
    Free Member

Tbh like most things in life the KISS priceble held for me when commuting.
    Easily removable lights or fix lights.
    Easily accessible lock, for me this was round my waste or a little strap i sowed onto on my bag depending on the lock.
    Easily removable bag or rucksack or messenger bag depending on the situation and commute.
    Simple bike, for me this was fixed wheel.

Sounds like your bike is already sorted. Don’t like the idea of the front triangle bag for locks though sound like it will rattle.

m360
    Free Member

At least 7 or 8 different rear lights, from head to toe and at least 4 front lights. One of the front lights (preferably helmet mounted) must burn out the retinas of anyone who dare look in your direction.

Oh, and a beard. You gotta have a beard.

Sandwich

Get the correct Tubus rack and there is an Abus lock carrier fitted.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Rattle rattle

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Mudguards

The most essential thing for a commuter

JoeG
    Free Member

The right handlebars!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I think you need to go ‘pavement trundler’

Extra squeaky jockey wheels, an inch of filth on your cassette, a broken reflector, ‘permaflat’ TM rear tyre and for sir a heavy weight hi viz winter coat 4 sizes too big

steveoath
    Free Member

Get some hi viz going on…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

thestabiliser – Member
    Extra squeaky jockey wheels, an inch of filth on your cassette, a broken reflector, ‘permaflat’ TM rear tyre and for sir a heavy weight hi viz winter coat 4 sizes too big

AlturaMan!

bigblackshed

Serious post. If you go for a kick stand get a Velo Orange Copenhagen stand from Freshtripe.

The Wife has one on her townbike with big shopping panniers. It keeps the bike balanced much better when loading than the single sided one previously.

takisawa2

Kickstand for the win. Had one on the Kina Ute I had once. Halfords do one but now I’ve seen that link I’m ordering the Copenhagen one.

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t like the idea of the front triangle bag for locks though sound like it will rattle.

There is a reason. My lock is quite heavy, and when the back is loaded up moving weight forwards really helps. The reason for large load at the back, incidentally, is that I am travelling for the week and my computer is a heavy beast.

StirlingCrispin

I have 1 and 3.
    4 is a Carradice saddlebag with SQR block for quick release.
    Not thought about a kickstand – but then I just lean it against stuff.

OOh – and roller-brakes for that zero-maintenance thing. I pump up the chain and oil the tyres every month or so.

PS: You need puncher-proof tyres. I’ll be putting ice-spikers on soon.

sirromj

Really find my small frame bag really convenient for holding my keys. Which doesn’t sound like much benefit, but it means I don’t have to carry them in my pocket (I hate carrying anything in pockets while cycling and never do it), and I don’t have to go through the rigoromol of removing backpack, getting straps caught up here and there, removing rain cover, unzipping, unclicking etc. When you’re potentially late for work, just popping keys in frame bag keeps things simple. And they’re useful also for small items you may have forgotten to put in bag, spare tube, small tools, bungies, non pricey stuff you can leave in there.

cookeaa

My commuter setup is getting quite polished now…

Bar bag FTW.

Got one of these bad boys with a phone/map pocket (after an STW recommendation):

Beam rack on the rear and whatever size airlock xtra suits your clothing and lunch for the day…

Chinese torches galore.

Fixed…

I did pick up a cheap kaffenback fork over summer intending to fit a front disc (possibly with a dynamo hub too), then I started mulling over the idea of a sturmey Archer 3 or even 5 speed hub, with a drum brake… And all of a sudden the KISS principle kicks in and I leave it as it is….

garage-dweller

Stirlingcrispin

The problem with those SQR blocks is you need a LOT of seatpost up. I really really wanted to get a good saddlebag set up for my roadie that I commute on in the summer but just can’t get the clearance for the rear wheel.

Unless you know something I don’t…

For an all weather commuter, I would have mudguards, pannier rack, front bag with map pocket, preferably discs and some nice dynamo lights. Possibly some nice clips and straps platform pedals tool so could ride it in any shoes but without fear of slipping feet off the pedals.

1-shed
    Free Member

Bigblackshed it’s all your fault, I now want a velo orange frame. Stop posting fancy links to stuff I didn’t know I wanted. Cheers 1 shed.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking about mocking up a dummy camera for the rear rack to try and deter the more affectionate over takers

bigblackshed

Stuff you didn’t know you wanted?

How about shopping panniers and bags for your town bike: Clarijs Tarp Bags

Customisable in lots of colours and patterns. Not waterproof enough for touring, but great for shopping in a Dutch style.

edhornby

I also agree with the KISS principle

I ride fixed gear with a tough tyres (gatorskin or marathon plus rear and Michelin Pro4endurance front) and I have just got myself a USB rechargeable light that attaches with a rubber strap which is spot on

spoke reflectors (not the horrid plastic slabs that you get on a BSO) but the tube ones are good because they reflect at cars that come from the side or an angle which are the ones who need to see you most

molgrips
    Free Member

OOh – and roller-brakes for that zero-maintenance thing.

Yeah I want those. The dynamo hubs don’t seem compatible though..?

Fixed lights would save faff. Not only removing them but also trying to put them in my bag in such a way as to not accidentally turn them on and waste all the battery.

willyboy
    Free Member

Molgrips – a few of the Nexus dynamo hubs are roller hub compatible. Some of the rear hubs are also roller brake compatible too.

FWIW dynamos are the future. I’ve just got one and its awesomez. XT hub with B + M lights

StirlingCrispin

The dynamo hubs don’t seem compatible though..?

That’s a Nexus dynamo hub with front roller brake.
    Got it from Rob at http://www.reallyusefulbikes.co.uk/ – he even built me a retrofit torsion arm bracket

The rear hub is a Nexus 3-speed hub with backpedal coaster brake.
    My knees can’t cope with fixie and this is as simple as simple gets.

My next bike will be an Elephant bike though:
    http://elephantbike.co.uk/

molgrips
    Free Member

Rollers vs discs?

thomthumb
    Free Member

my commuter has been evolving over ~8 years or so. it even got replaced at one point for me not to like the replacement enough to replace it (if that makes sense).

on one pompino – fixed (although has been SS) – full guards – front disc – dynamo front light – marathon plus – front rack – frant rack bag (bodged from gas mask bag.

I would like to get a better front bag set up – including steering stabiliser – and a rear disc (needs a new frame and there aren’t many fixed disc frames)

Apart from that – and perhaps a good rear dynamo light it’s pretty much perfect. I’d like to be able to run lighter tyres but there is a lot of glass on my commute 🙁

I’m currently building a hub geared town bike as a winter project…

molgrips
    Free Member

Only a bit disappointed that my Dew doesn’t have disc mounts. Would probably build rim brake wheels on disc dynamo/alfine hubs and then change the frame for something compatible later.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Rose bikes sell complete wheel sets with dynamos already built in. Nothing fancy, just functional and cheap…

At £78 this isn’t even the cheapest pair! Why even bother to build your own? 🙂

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/atb-wheel-set-28700c-xtreme-airline-3–shimano-nexus-dh-3n31-deore-610/aid:716676

EDIT

Sorry, I see, ALFINE… Hang on….

molgrips
    Free Member

Holy crap that is cheap (for the derailleur version)!

cookeaa

Just look at her!
    Utterly beautiful, almost entirely theft proof and cheap as chips!

But still I can’t help thinking about changing it… It is going to look wrong with these (disc version but this colour):

isn’t it…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ahh, sorry, Alfine…..

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Revo lights for that Tron look

or Fuze for that Niterider/Streethawk vibe

m360
    Free Member

I want those Revo lights!!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Thinking about commuter-pimping my commuter’ is closed to new replies.