Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Thinking about Anthem X..
  • u02sgb
    Free Member

Hi,
    I'm thinking about an Anthem X as a "do everything" bike, although mainly for more comfort on long rides in the Highlands. I'll probably swap my F120's onto it for a little more travel and to slacken the head angle slightly.

My main question is what size of tire could I fit on the back? I'd quite like to get something like a 2.35 High Roller on there for very occasional trips to Laggan black. I'm usually talked into this, not keen to do it any more!

Also opinions from anyone (I've read the numerous posts on here so know there are some quite enthusiastic owners!).

Cheers,
    Stuart.

rkk01
    Free Member

I'm currently running 2.25 Schwalbe Smart Sams – and there is plenty of room (prob about 8mm).

One thing worth considering is tyre height rather than width – the gap to the seatstay bridge is probably closer than the gap to the seatstays

u02sgb
    Free Member

Ok, ta. Anyone tried High Rollers? Bueller, Bueller, anyone, anyone….

Stu.

flipiddy
    Free Member

I'm wondering if a back to back test ride on a Trance X might be worth considering, as it sounds perfect for what you want with all the same benefits of the Maestro suspension? Just a thought…

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I just tried a 2.25 advantage on a dt5.1 and a 2.35 high roller on a 721 and there is loads of room.

u02sgb
    Free Member

@flipiddy I was at the Glentress demo last weekend and rode an Anthem in small and then a Trance in Medium, as they didn't have any small's. I loved the feel of the Anthem and only missed my F120's on the way back down. I kinda thought I could get the best of both worlds by swapping my existing forks on.

@slw – thanks! I knew someone here would be able to help

I'm not really thinking of this for Laggan black, I usually do the likes of Mugdock, Pitmeddan etc but Laggan's the most difficult I'm likely to do. I walked most of it the first time on my hardtail (Scandal with F120s) and managed 90% of it *very* slowly last time.

Thinking of the Anthem X3, then swapping lots of my bits onto it and selling the forks, crank, brakes etc as "nearly new".

Thanks all,
    Stu.

vrapan
    Free Member

Defo plenty of space and a total cracking bike. Very trail worthy with 5" forks 🙂 Mine is still on some Recons, it is very nice and tight with 100mm but you are getting a whole new bike with 120mm . I was going to go with an SID but I am now wanting a UTurn Reba, if only they were not so expensive.

flipiddy
    Free Member

@u02sgb Ah fair play. They are cracking bikes, so I'm sure you'll have a blast!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Thinking about Anthem X..’ is closed to new replies.