Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Thinking about a road build, but don't know what
  • butcher

Hypothetically speaking for now, a bike that will:

– handle long days in the saddle comfortably
    – be reasonably quick still when you point it uphill
    – be tough enough to deal with greasy, stone-filled, potholed lanes during the winter
    – take 28mm tyres and mudguards

The trouble is, I don’t know where to start. I’ve never come across any obvious classics in road cycling. If one were to take on such a project, and hope to complete it within a reasonable budget, what frame would one start with?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Looking around road bikes as mine may need replacing soon, if your buying new parts is it worth self building vs off the peg? (in mountain bikes I’d never consider off the peg but with a lot less variables on road bikes it looks more worth while)

martymac

i would start with something which is available in a size which fits me properly.
    i know that seems really obvious . .
    but it needs to fit.

martymac

double post

cheers_drive

Not many frames will take 28 tyres and full guards. Look at a Kinesis TK3.

cozz
    Free Member

what about a more cyclocross type bike like a genesis vapour

and fit 28mm tyres to it, and use cyclocross tyres in winter ?

Dales_rider
    Free Member

It would have to be Ti, so 2nd hand would be the route for cost or maybe a van nicholos

Conqueror
    Free Member
    butcher

what about a more cyclocross type bike…

I’m not sure a cross bike would be suitable for long (100+ mile) rides?

It’s not a winter bike I’m after. More a do-it-all bike. And some of the roads I ride are so rough I don’t think I gain any advantage from running small tyres.

I’m open to other ideas too though.

mrmo
    Free Member

define reasonable budget?

http://stoemper.com/taylor.php

If you need mudguards and 28mm tyres

look for Audax frames and the like, your going to need long drop callipers or cantos/mini v’s/discs, which all come with there own issues.

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/road/sportive/equilibrium-10

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Genesis Equilibrium. Mine takes big tyres and guards and is pretty comfy.

shermer75
    Free Member

Surly Pacer

28mm tyres tick, mudguards tick, comfortable tick, reasonable budget tick, quick when you point it uphill….well, you did say reasonably 😉

butcher

define reasonable budget?

Well, my most expensive bike so far has been £400. I’m willing to spend a bit more than that 🙂

It would be an ongoing project though and I don’t mind buying second hand, so open to suggestions, as long as they’re not stupidly expensive. I do like a bargain though.

tinribz
    Free Member

Probably start with a GENESIS Equilibrium 853, or the disc version if it’s a one bike mission.

Or custom Ti?

butcher

I like the look of the Genesis, but HOW MUCH??

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Mine was about £240 for the frame new. 853 version aint worth the extra

1-shed
    Free Member

British bike a fast audax check Spa cycles or Dawes did a nice frame and forks. American gravel race, check Salsa Warbird although that has no mudguard eyelets. Sounds like a fun build.

shermer75
    Free Member
    OCB
    Free Member

I think you’ve pretty much described a Singular Osprey in your list of requirements!

ianpv
    Free Member

how tall are you?

I may be selling a 56cm equilibrium, complete bar wheels. I’ve replaced it with a kinesis GF Ti – which is nicer, but not as much nicer as it should be considering the relative cost… the equilibrium is a really good bike.

think my email address is in my profile if you’re interested.

cheers,

Ian

butcher

Dawes did a nice frame and forks

I’m currently riding one. ‘Reynolds’ 520. It rides nice enough, but a bit meh on the cool scale. It’d be nice to have something more…interesting. I might build around this one yet though, as it does actually tick all the boxes.

how tall are you?

5’8″ with stumpy legs. 56mm is probably a wee bit big.

ianpv
    Free Member

yep – I think so – I’m 5’10” with stumpy legs too, so need a fairly long top tube for my height, generally ride 56 or 54. Reckon you’d be better with a 54

spidersexual
    Free Member

Van nich entry level mistral is a bargain surely

TiRed

I’ve never come across any obvious classics in road cycling

It is blatantly obvious that what sir requires is a Dawes Super Galaxy. It ticks all the boxes once you remove the racks and lighten the wheels. All the rest are mere pretender johnny-come-latelys.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Thinking about a road build, but don't know what’ is closed to new replies.