Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Thinking about a BBQ design
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I am due an another ankle operation the week after the Big Bike Bash so need something to think about while stuck in bed / limited mobility.

I was thinking I might remodel the western terrace. The area is about 12 foot by 20 foot and is where we normally BBQ on our B&Q special. It gets the last of the evening sunshine which is nice and there is a pinch point between it and the main terrace so kids can be kept away from the flames.

MrsWCA has fallen out of love with the balustrade so wants that replacing. I was thinking I could use the rebuild of a new wall to incorporate a BBQ/Smoker/Pizza oven.

Never done anything like it so will spend my recovery time scouring the internet but here are my first thoughts.

Feedback, suggestions and constructive criticism is welcome. Abuse, sarcasm and grammatical corrections are expected.

First the current site then the first idea. the BBQ will have it’s long side against the drive with the chimney by the garage. Basically on the left as the first photo shows so there will still be room to sit and chat while cooking.

Mikeypies
    Free Member

I use this site http://amazingribs.com/ as my prime reference for all things BBQ as they explain why and how things work,he even covers what you want

http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/designing_your_outdoor_kitchen.html

spooky_b329

I always wanted a griddle that imitated a car tyre, branded the ‘Roadkill Grill’. So your meat ends up with a car tyre tread chargrilled into it 😆

bearnecessities

No idea, but just want to say I think you’re one of the best contributors here; also very pleased you still have your leg.

Now please do the decent thing and in time, post pictures of your impending sexy hot-tub and pizza party.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I use this site http://amazingribs.com/ as my prime reference for all things BBQ

I was reading the sidebar on that very site as I designed the initial smoker. 🙂

Meathead’s dream
    I have built a hog pit (click here to see my design) but when I lay awake at night I dream of building one of these:

Something big enough to handle a big party and a 200 pound hog, but adjustable so I could cook a few burgers, too. So I’d design a large concrete block or brick rectangle about 8′ long, 4′ deep, and 3′ high. There would be two removable partitions so it can be divided into three separate cooking zones. In one zone I could cook small quantities efficiently, another could be used as a warming oven, an the third could be used to burn logs down to coals or it could also be used as a bread and pizza oven.
    Each partition needs a separate lid so it can be closed for roasting, smoke roasting, or baking. Each partition would need its own damper for letting in air, and a vent for letting out smoke.
    The food grates for each partition would need to have adjustable height so steaks could be lowered near the coals for searing or raised for low and slow direct or indirect cooking.
    The three ash grates should be above ground so air can flow beneath the coals and for easy ash removal.
    There needs to be a large work surface nearby and storage for tools.
    There should be tables and seating nearby.

Grill, smoker, pizza oven. moveable metal plate to separate the oven into 2 or 3 parts.

You have excellent taste in BBQ websites

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Thinking about a BBQ design’ is closed to new replies.