Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Think I've just accidentally burnt copper ??
  • brack
    Free Member

Having a garden clear out .. and burning scrub,and a pile of wood one piece of which I found sometime ago washed up at the beach… it was just an interesting shape so I took it home….which I now think was covered in copper.

The flame from the fire was blue..

A quick google search reveals that it prob was copper.

Will I die? Is the soil safe ?

Del

thought copper was green?

anyway, to answer your questions, ‘yes’, and ‘probably’

oliverracing

Definitely and I would think so.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Many people who have burnt things have died. Statistics are not on your side here…

jonnyboi

It’s a little known fact that burning copper opens a portal to the netherworld.

daviek

will it not be salt making the flame go blue?

funkmasterp

will it not be salt making the flame go blue?

Nope. Unfortunately for the OP jonnyboi is correct. I’d be expecting a demon infestation any day now. They’ll play havoc with your lawn. We’ve all been there 😐

theotherjonv

highly unlikely I’d have thought that your garden bonfire temperature will ‘burn’ copper as copper is pretty damn stable.

At most, and the fire will need to be hot to do it, you’ll have melted it and once it’s cooled will have an interesting garden ornament in the ash. It won’t be dissolving appreciably into the watercourse or anything where it can have any real harm, would be my opinion.

Copper (salts) colour a flame bluey-green typically (copper (I) is blue, but that’s not the usual oxidation state of copper); several others do have blue flames but of these the more suspect would be I think lead.

In respect of jonnyboi – it’s boron that does that. Copper summons up dancing nymphs with mead and insatiable appetites for lust. Where did you say you lived again?

cranberry
    Free Member

With the OP having burnt a bit of driftwood we are now living in the End Of Times.

Time to loot your LBS and lay waste those that drop litter.

And play bad music on the radio in the office.

The middle class IT workers may fall, but they are going down in flames of GLORY!

Murray

I suggest you Ask Nick!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The middle class IT workers may fall, but they are going down in flames of GLORY!

It might be, there could be a typo and he actually burnt a copper or worse a cooper!

As above with a melting point of 1,085c and boiling of 2,562c I think we are either safe or the OP might be working on home made nuclear fusion. Glad I got extra bread and milk in.

globalti
    Free Member

It will be tanalised wood, which burns with a bluey-green flame. I’ve just found this on the web:

“Arsenic has been banned for tanalising in Europe since 2006, although the current tanalising process has been found to be less effective without the arsenic content. The replacement process – Tanalised E – uses copper and triazole biocides – an organic anti-fungal treatment commonly used to protect food crops.

NEVER burn any kind of tanalised timber such as old painted timber or boards, which contain formaldehyde resins (i.e. most plywoods, chipboard, and MDF). Tanalised E may be burned in approved industrial incinerators only, but should not be burned in open fires or home wood burners.”

Drac

Burnt copper, what kind of furnace do you own?

brack
    Free Member

:^)))

Oh I do love Singletrackworld..

Northwind

You’ll now be invisible to other allomancers

P-Jay
    Free Member

OP has summoned the God of Hell Fire, and he brings you – fire.

wwaswas

In summary:

The copper won’t kill you but the wood you’re using to heat it up will.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Did anyone else think this thread title was from ‘Rogers Profanisaurus?’

No? Just me then? (Sigh)

slowbloke
    Free Member

Northwind

I was gutted when I found out the thread wasn’t about being Mistborn!

swanny853

I wondered how long that would take to come up- didn’t think top 20 posts. But somehow not surprised it was you NW.

Also, strictly speaking, only from them burning tin….

jonnyboi

Oh gawd, nerd thread hijack.

swanny853

In my defence a friend bought me the book….

binners

I also misread the thread title, and thought that this was finally it. You were kicking off the glorious revolution with a bit of this…..

How frightfully disappointing 😥

Northwind

swanny853 – Member

But somehow not surprised it was you NW.

Well that’s not good.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Think I've just accidentally burnt copper ??’ is closed to new replies.