• This topic has 72 replies, 60 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by rig.
Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Things your teachers said to you.
  • grumm
    Free Member

Careers advice:

‘Get a good degree from a decent uni, it doesn’t matter what subject, and you’ll easily be able to get a well paid job, doing pretty much whatever you want to do’ 😆

😐

el_boufador

Agree uni beer/birds thing – definitely make the most of it.

If on a masters (like I was) a handy tip is to try to do well in year 3 so in the 4th year you have enough points in the bank to just **** it off and go all out on partying. Last year at uni was the best one, and one of the best years of my life!

Dibbs
    Free Member

There’s no such word as “got”

anagallis_arvensis

You need to do extra maths

after being told in primary school that “today we were making fathers days cards” and I pointed out that mine had died 4 years ago. I had my revenge though by adding one to every maths question I did for the next month.

carlosg
    Free Member

‘Can you dig what I’m saying Mr Gardner?’

Followed a day later by my rather large father visiting the school and pinning him by the throat against a wall suggesting an apology would be in order. It never happened again!! 😆

This wasn’t a solitary incident and had been going on for a few weeks before I mentioned it to dad.

anagallis_arvensis

my rather large father visiting the school and pinning him by the throat against a wall

my dads bigger than…… oh! carry on

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

“What do you mean you don’t intend to go to university to study chemistry? Why are you in my class, you’ll not achieve anything unless you go to university………” as said by a knob of a chemistry teacher who couldn’t get his head around the fact not everyone went to bed **** over the periodic table at night.

I left school, became a nurse, and spent the next 3 years trying to pass my exams while surrounded by some very attractive women.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Aged 9 I was told I approached hard work with a minimalist attitude. Now in my thirties I still can’t see why this is a bad thing.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

a knob of a chemistry teacher who couldn’t get his head around the fact not everyone went to bed **** over the periodic table at night.

I like to keep the periodic table is easy sight of my wrist……

br
    Free Member

Aged 9 I was told I approached hard work with a minimalist attitude. Now in my thirties I still can’t see why this is a bad thing.

Funny my wife has the same views. For me whenever there is a problem, I first of all work if someone else could do it, and then if not – work out the easist way of me doing it.

“If you want to know the simpliest way to do something, ask a lazy man”

big-chief-96
    Free Member

quite a good one “you can do anything if you set your mind to it”

so far its true

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

I was told by my year head that it was pointless me doing my CSE (educated in the 70’s) as I would never be able to pass – and would never amount to much…

I now have a MSc and I’m a skilled and well respected Psychiatric Nurse – glad I never really listened to my teachers

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

“If you want to know the simpliest way to do something, ask a lazy man”

Whoah, whoah, whoah! I’m not lazy… I’m efficient!

At Uni, whilst studying Economics, we were taught all about efficiency. We were also told that, for every module, you only had to turn up to a seminar once every 3 weeks to avoid getting a black mark against your name. So, 3 modules per semester… the most efficient way to get a degree meant attending uni for just 1 hour a week…. happy days indeed!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

..just looked up “reach around”… my, you do learn a lot on STW!

PM me sweetheart, I’ll teach you a load more..

Soup
    Free Member

PE teacher: ‘Remember if ever you need to run faster but don’t think you can, just move your arms faster and your legs have to keep up’

I remembered this a few years ago while being chased by some dodgy yoof in London who was threatening to kick my head in.

Thank you Mr Richardson.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Dear old Miss Cumings; my best Primary school teacher, who pulled my reading age up from 5 to 13 in one year:

“I shall be very disappointed if you are not the first Man on Mars.”

Nobody’s beaten me to it………………yet

Starrman28
    Free Member

My first engineering lecturer at Tech College told our class that one of us would die in a motor cycle accident…………..he was right 🙁

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

PM me sweetheart, I’ll teach you a load more..

I don’t think she wants to know what you got up to at boarding school, Flashy… 😯

She might be a bit ‘female’ for that sort of thing, too.

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

Some good stuff here. As a trainee teacher I’ll have to start coming up with my own words of “wisdom” to pass on…

loddrik
    Free Member

“let that boy out of that headlock”……

porter_jamie

‘you really ought to try lsd one day’ primary school teacher

sweepy
    Free Member

Look Ernie, its a periodic table table 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

“It is not possible to get an A at A-level Physics without doing any work” he said. He was wrong, but I think he knew that 🙂

School was not so good for me. They spent their entire time trying to force me to do stuff their way. They never tried to help me do it my way.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Classic daft PE Teacher once asked us to get into pairs of threes.

joolsburger
    Free Member

You’ll never make a good living talking to people.

Have done exactly that for 20 years.

ononeorange

My year teacher told me on the day I left school that I would struggle to get a job cleaning the streets (a very uplifting man!).

I did an HND and then an engineering degree with his words always in my ears, and it still irritates me 25 years on. Mind you, maybe that was his aim, as I’m still wanting to do more things and prove him wrong. Perhaps I should just let it go now…….!!

andytherocketeer

Art Teacher* – “That’s not how you paint! You’re doing it all wrong!” (WTF? brush, paint, paper – put all 3 together in the style you want)

Physics Teacher – “Physics is a load of C**P! It’s just a load of ideas that seem to work.”

(*) He’s the one I was convinced was in to boys, but actually got the boot for getting too close to girls.

KT1973
    Free Member

My headmaster gave me some sound advice that I’ll never forget.
    “It’s worth spending money on decent speakers” he said

rig
    Free Member

Economics teacher in school report – ‘He’s no Keynes’.

My mum asked me who Keynes was 😕

GW
    Free Member

“it’s alright out of school hours” – Married techy teacher on snogging a very fit senior pupil at the previous nights school dance.

RealMan
    Free Member

KT1973 🙄

😆

ski
    Free Member

Showing my age here:
    Head “This is going to hurt me more than you” Waiting to get the cane!

Best reply ever heard while waiting for the cane!
    Head “bend over boy”

boy “I would rather have the cane sir”

😉

A science teacher who had a huge nasty scar to the side of her face. last bit of advice she gave our class before letting us lose on the world.

If in the future you ever find yourself drunk doing the iorning and want to see if the iron is hot, don’t test it on your face!

😯

rig
    Free Member

Best reply ever heard while waiting for the cane!
    Head “bend over boy”

boy “I would rather have the cane sir”

Brilliant!! 🙂

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Things your teachers said to you.’ is closed to new replies.