Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Things you don't like about biking…
  • mandog

not enough Sundays in the week to go riding.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Cleaning the bike.

This is less of an issue if you largely don’t bother*, But I’m fortunate to have the use of a garage to store my filthy machines.

*I do clean the drive-train and the suspension stanchions. And pick off the bigger lumps of mud.

drain

Sticky pistons.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Some of the twunts who frequent cycling web-forums.

Nay-sayers and doom-mongers who resent progress and change in the technology used and the attitude of the sport itself.

djglover
    Free Member

Snobbery
    Inverse Snobbery
    Cliques
    Cleaning bikes
    Cleaning kit
    Traveling to the trails
    User conflict
    Breaking bits
    Wearing bits out
    Crashing
    Not being to keep up with the latest kit developments

charliedontsurf

Punctures
    Cars
    Arseholes
    Sloppy emulators
    Selfrightous pricks
    Dickweeds
    Cockbags

So basically crap people and thorns.

charliedontsurf

And not forgetting

And obviously ***********

nmdbase
    Free Member

The only real thing I don’t like is getting home and having to wash the bike, freezing cold when all you want to do is get warm.

MSP

always needing more bikes.

bikebouy
    Free Member

“the next big thing”
    i’m all for innovation, development yadda yadda, but i’m not keen on the guff that surrounds the marketing horseplop thats delt out.

lowey

Other bikers who ignore a cheery “Hello”.

ash.addy
    Free Member

Not being able to because of bl…. family commitments!!

djglover
    Free Member

people who scoff when I don’t return their cheery hello, because I’m trying to recover from riding up a hill over LT threshold.

grum
    Free Member

Wot ton said.

And replacing broken parts is pretty annoying.

Duggan

Maintenance and the accompanying expense

mintimperial

Dickhead car-drivers, and the various other motorized forms of attempted murder we have to watch out for.
    Arsey walkers and horse-riders, although there’s really not many of those about where I ride nowadays, and I can’t remember the last time I had a proper run-in.
    Things breaking or not working right, either on the bike or on me. I like fixing and tinkering, though; I just don’t like it when busted stuff spoils a ride.

Those are all pretty minor annoyances in the grand scheme of things. Everything else about it is pretty smashing really… 😀

crashbanggg
    Free Member

Uphills.

kudos100
    Free Member

Cleaning my bike.
    Not having an uplift nearby.
    Breaking myself and having months of from riding.
    Not being able to pull big whips!(this will be remedied by next year 🙂 )

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Ticks, Cleggs and Midges.

Edric64
    Free Member

Everyone else riding the trails that were nice and quiet in the 80s

souldrummer
    Free Member

The idea that somehow riding your bike at the speed and over the terrain you enjoy isn’t good or ‘rad’ enough. That could be why I prefer to ride on my own. If I want to ride the bike of my choice and mince my way down a slope because I don’t fancy a crash, then surely that’s my perogative?

dans160
    Free Member

Cleaning my bikes at night in the cold in readiness for the next ride. Thankfully, so far, it’s not been so bad. And the other thing that really bugs me are people worrying about the type of bike they ride, along the lines of “I’ve just bought x and have ridden it once and decided that it’s too much bike for me because I might be tempted into doing something silly or I only ride at trail centers and all the magazines say I only need a singlespeed 29er with no suspension” If you like it, just ride it.

Oh, and why is it so bloody expensive!?

james
    Free Member

Many of the above, upgraditus a fair bit recently

Having ridden ‘properly’ for ~5 years I thought uphills might have become easier by now. They seems just as painful, admitedly I might be spinning a lot more in SPDs and a gear or two higher but ..

Cycling not doing anything about my michelin man tyre

Not really being upto singlespeeding

Riding solo, too often recently

Not knowing anybody with offroad lights

Riding with my brother for more than a day or two at a time – the level of incessant faffing gets to me

Other riding mates who at the merest hint of a cold, a chance of rain or temperatures less than ~10degC aren’t interested at all

The winter bogginess of many ROWs

My job having loads of overtime when the weather is good for going biking

Wanting to find/ride new (to me) trails all too often

Snow, when its deep enough that its just in the way

Ice, and all too often on the best bits .. I give them a good go, but my falling reactions are getting slower

Breaking things

binners

Nothing! Nothing at all! I’ve just spent tonight bringing up the rear. As always. Loved it! As always! On an inappropriate bike. As (nearly) always. Because it’s my only bike* But I LOVE IT!

Now FFS Stop moaning and get on with it 😉

* road bike doesn’t count

rotten
    Free Member

ermm……………………………..
    not being out evey day.
    injuries.
    not having the latest must have kit.
    dabbing.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

snobbery, wild assumptions about my physique, slow people who don’t pull over, fast people who think they have right of way because they can ride faster than me, people who can wheelie, roadies who don’t say hello, mountain bikers who don’t say hello, miserable sods, I could go on

gingerss
    Free Member

Dog walkers!

Effing dog walkers who cannot control their animals. Their dogs (there are usually more than one) come running toward you get in front of you wheels and as you make your very best effort not to run it/them over the owner stands there shouting at said animals and giving you a look of disgust. This is not at speed either – this can be bimbling along chatting pace. Keep your dogs under control you muppets!

Dog walkers #2 – allowing your animals to crap in public and not cleaning it up. I don’t care if it’s a footpath brindleway or kids play park it’s just not acceptable – at all.

I’m usually quite a calm person but these people make my blood boil.

stgeorge

Winter, injuries, feckling, upgraditus.

I just had to google “feckling” to see what I was missing 😯

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

dog eggs

_tom_
    Free Member

Thick mud, I don’t find it fun.
    Having to drive at least 45 minutes to the nearest half decent trails, hour and a half to two hours each way if I want proper hills.
    Expensive parts.

None of that really applies to bmxing though, just mtb.

jedi

pidgeon holes
    riders who belittle other riders achievements
    but mostly i hate the fact i have to sleep everyday and can’t ride during that time 🙂

kilo

having a screwed back and not being able to cycle 😥

retro83
    Free Member

Skipping gears
    Sticky brake pistons
    Dog kenneth flicked up onto brake levers/gloves/lip/eye lid/camelbak mouthpiece 😯

stevepitch
    Free Member

Forums and how people give it the ‘large’ on them

People who moan

People who claim they dont moan but in reality moan more than anyone else.

People who judge

People who claim they dont judge but in reality judge more than anyone else.

People who use the term ‘over biked’

people who dont like people who dont like the term ‘over biked’

Halfords

Crap employees of otherwise good bike shops

Having to work meaning I cant ride

The fact that the wife will ride one piece of difficult black graded singletrack but refuse to ride the simple fun red piece of singletrack and then vice versa the week after.

When bikes fall apart in the middle of a field 20 miles from the car

The cost

Dog poo

getting lost

The conflicting thoughts about cleaning my bike after every ride or not cleaning my bike after every ride.

Riding on the road (not road riders before anyone gets a grump)

People who’ll take offence about my comment above

The fact that ive sat here and typed all of this

……Otherwise I love the sport 😀

kiwijohn

Hurtingness
    Breaking stuff
    Dropper posts
    Sanitised trails
    Breaking the nipple off a presta valve
    Punctures
    29ers – really don’t see the point
    Breaking a chain
    Spinning out on a climb
    Missing out on a ride

devs
    Free Member

The people. Don’t get me wrong there are some great people that I love biking with, it’s just as a collective mtb’ers are a right funny bunch. I started late at 40 after having done rugby, football, golf, skiing, fishing and judo. Some of them almost semi professionally given that my employers let me do them in work time.
    The wanting to be part of a scene but then not really committing to the bigger group I find quite funny. Everybody seems to eye up everybody else in an envious or disparaging way. Everybody’s clique is better than the others and their trails are better etc etc etc. Everybody likes to think it’s a real social sport but it’s really not. I mean, how many of you are going to a mtb club Christmas dinner? I hate that. And the fact that the scene buy in has made it a stupidly expensive sport.

jfeb
    Free Member

The boring 5 miles on a road or canal towpath I have to ride to get to anything vaguely interesting.

I try to tell myself “its all riding and its all good’ but it isn’t.

(nothing against riding on the road…on a road bike)

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

People who moan

People who claim they dont moan but in reality moan more than anyone else.

People who judge

People who claim they dont judge but in reality judge more than anyone else.

This has to win the “ironing of the day” award!! 😉

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Things you don't like about biking…’ is closed to new replies.