Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Things to do/see in York
  • MrGreedy

Planning a weekend trip – the Minster is already on the list, what else is worth seeing?

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Loads to do mate, if it’s nice a walk around the Walls is nice, shopping if you have a better half, around the shambles. We always like to go around the museum too. Avoid the Jorvik Viking thingummy. Loads of nice places to eat. If you like Chinese food there is an awesome one near the cathedral opposite a thai eatery ( can’t remember what is called, but all the local Chinese eat there).

martinhutch

Railway Museum is good. Another vote for avoiding the Jorvik Viking centre – rip-off.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Walk the walls, Railway Museum, York Minster, Wander about The Shambles

didn’t think Jorvik was a total rip-off, but not far off it. The time train was ok

geoffj

Betty’s
    (tea room before the sad bastards pedants start)

MadBillMcMad

+1 on the walls & railway museum.

Have you got kids ?

If young then IMHO they will enjoy the Jorvik.

Also there is the http://www.yorkshireairmuseum.org/
    A small quaint rural air museum just outside York.

The castle museum is a bit 19Century.

djglover
    Free Member

Kill a Scotsman, not on the Sunday mind. I don’t have a particular one in mind though.

pinetree
    Free Member

It’s only legal to do that with a bow and arrow though.

pinetree
    Free Member

I lived in york for a couple of years, and just moved away 3 months ago. I now live in Plymouth and really miss York.

Anyway, Rowntree Park’s great if you’ve got a family (and the weather’s nice!) Big playpark and loads of sculptures etc… Very picturesque.

If pubs are your thing, have a look at Pivni (V Close the shambles) as its one of the oldest pubs there and does really nice beer. Another one to check out is The House of Trembling Madness (on Stonegate)- very cool medievel pub.

Also, the recently opened chocolate museum’s well worth a look. It’s a bit of a tourist trap (like Jorvik) as it’s not really a museum, but it’s a pretty cool tour and there’s a few freebies at the end!
    Also, a lad who was on “come dine with me” works there- random bit of trivia, I know.

And if you’re there in the evening, definitely have a go at one of the Ghost tours. There’s plenty of them available and they’re all fairly decent.

If you can get away from the missus for a wee while and want to see w quirky wee bike shop, visit my old place here

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Railway Museum is ace. Minster is worth a wander around. Jorvik Centre is a bit pants and the queue usually stretches all the way around the Coppergate centre. Castle Museum is boring, walk up Cliffords Tower. Could go on the big wheel thing thats in the grounds of the hotel next to the station at the moment (was good when it was just down the road a few years back). Boat tour along the river. Walk around the Walls. Loads of nice pubs and places to eat. To be honest, for central stuff, shopping is one of the best things to do. Great selection of shops…

Miss living there a bit but certainly not the lack of riding from my door. Living in the mountains of Calderdale is ace!

RobHilton
    Free Member

Second Betty’s – a marvellous wallet emptying place 🙂

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Second for the ghost tours, one starts outside the Minster.

neninja
    Free Member

If you like real ale you’ll be spoilt for choice, there’s loads pubs serving some really good pints. Guy Fawkes Inn (the house where he was born) is worth a visit after dark for a good pint by gas light – the food there is pretty decent too.

No tourist trip to York is complete without visits to the Minster and Railway museum.

muddodger
    Free Member

if you manage to do all the above in the first day, a trip to Eden camp wouldn’t be a bad way to spend a day if you like WW2 history. It’s only about £6 to get in and worth every penny.
    Near Pickering, takes about 30 mins from York, depending where you’re staying.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

“Near Pickering, takes about 30 mins from York, depending where you’re staying. “—–

you must ride really fast !

If you get a chance , go to bootham crescent and watch york City play in one of the last traditional grounds

muddodger
    Free Member

who said he was riding? 🙂
    30 minutes by car.

MrGreedy

Thanks folks, all suggestions appreciated

{And for the record, travelling by car, no kids)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Things to do/see in York’ is closed to new replies.