Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Things to do/see in Amsterdam??
  • priceyboy
    Free Member

I am off to Amsterdam for Mrs Priceyboy’s sister’s birthday. It could be a bit of a yawn! Can anyone enlighten me with good things to see/do??

antares
    Free Member

Smoke dope and bang hookers 😀

allthegear
    Free Member

Go to the Vespa Bar for cocktails rather than get slashed in average lager

Rachel

alanl
    Free Member

Just have a good walk around. Loads to see.
    Rijksmuseum if you get there early, or, preferably, pre-book tickets for opening time – it gets packed there, if you do go, see the Vermeers/Dutch masters (all on one floor) first, as it’ll be packed on that floor by 11am. The rest of the place is tolerable, the crowds go to see the ‘big ones’, Vermeer, Rembrandt etc, but loads more there of a real quality.
    The Grand Cafe on Platform 1 of Centraal Station, lovely room, great food and service, with a parakeet watching over you.
    The flower market, see bulbs/flowers you’ve never seen before, then get stopped by customs on the way back as they think the Amaryllis bulb you’ve bought is drugs.
    A walk around the red light district is probably a good idea, just so you know what it is like.
    Canal tours are liked by some, never appealed to me, but may be your thing?
    I like the streets to the West of the City centre(de Pijp?). Loads of places to look around and eat/drink.
    We’ve been to the Hortus Botannicus twice.Nothing spectacular there, but it does have some rather large greenhouses, with desert conditions, so great on a cold day, along with a very humid indoor forest area.
    Avoid the main street from the station if possible, full of tourists and tat shops.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Check out events at Melkweg?

Hire a Dutch bike and enjoy some cycle paths, go explorating.

Remember – boredom is merely a state of mind induced by lack of stimulants imagination

olddog

… hire some bikes and pootle about in a truly bike friendly city. Loads of good bars for afternoon beers and chips with mayo.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Things to do/see in Amsterdam??’ is closed to new replies.