Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • things to do near bakewell
  • sadexpunk

staying in a cottage in a village near bakewell for a couple of days and dont know that part of the peak(s) too well.

options will be limited as we’ll have the pooch with us, but are there any dog-friendly recommendations around that area? pubs/cafes/walks, that sort of thing.

if not i spose we’ll just have a wander around bakewell and look for the closest bridleway.

cheers

MoreCashThanDash

Monsal, High Peak and Tissington Trails for some easy walking with scenery. Chatsworth estate if you are prepared to keep the dog on a lead around the sheep

Depending which side of Bakewell you are, Carsington water is a great place to get out. Cromford, Arkwrights Mill and the canal are also interesting if you’ve not been there. No dogs in the Cafe though.

Cafe at Hassop station end of Monsal Trail is nice, large covered seating area outside for you and dog. Pubs and cafes getting increasingly muddy boot and paw friendly in the Peak.

the-muffin-man

It has to be said, but Chatsworth is well worth a visit if you’ve never been. We live locally and still visit 3 or 4 times a year.

You don’t need to go into the house or gardens, there are loads of walks in the grounds. The one we like most is to walk past the kids adventure play area and up the hill side to the hunting tower and the Emperor Lake and surrounding woodland.

The main part of Chatsworth is busy but as is the norm people won’t walk more than 250yds from their car so get up the hillside and the people thin out rapidly.

You can walk over from Bakewell too over Calton Pastures if you fancy a longer walk.

Due to the area there are loads of websites with White Peak walks, and most cafes and pubs are dog friendly.

What village are you in – we could be bit more specific then.

sadexpunk

thanks, we’re in alport, near youlgreave i think.

the-muffin-man

You’ve got some really nice walks on your doorstep in Bradford Dale and Lathkill Dale (towards Over Haddon). These can be linked up to a circular routes to Haddon and Bakewell if you like a long day out!

And also from Birchover on to Stanton Moor and Nine Ladies Circle…
    http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/nine-ladies-stone-circle/

sadexpunk

thanks a lot. did a quick google of the dales you mention and this walk came up, i assume its the one youre on about?

thatd suit me fine and we could take a pack up, but just wondering if there are actually and villages you pass through where you can grab a coffee and slice of cake? or is it a case of once youre out there thats it til you get back?

thanks a lot

bikebouy
    Free Member

Beautiful area of the world.

I’d be tempted to get an OS and wander locally.

sadexpunk

looks like that walk is local, so alls good 🙂

off there in an hour or so, so i think the plan is to have a mooch round bakewell today, go to cottage mid-afternoon, then do the walk tomorrow.

wont have time to get an OS but i dont spose you know of an app where you can load walks to your phone to use as gps in case of getting lost? a walkies version of google maps as a satnav if you like?

thanks

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Linked walk well worth doing

Also check out Chee Dale under the Monsal trail, can make a pretty good dog walking afternoon with a pint in Chelmorton. Park at Millers Dale, walk up road little way to Limestone way and take an OS map to fill the gaps in

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Eat tart

Onzadog
    Free Member

Frederick’s ice cream. Bakewell pudding flavour is lovely.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘things to do near bakewell’ is closed to new replies.