• This topic has 19 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by yoda.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Things to do in York
  • paulwf

I am off to York to visit my wife's grandparents. Can anyone recommend things to do?

We have been to the Jorvik centre, Heartbeat country and the Train museum last time

Cheers
    Paul

Sandwich

Castle museum is good, Minster and it's crypt or a walk around the walls.

midlifecrashes

There's an old nuclear bunker I keep meaning to have a look at.

linky

Ti29er
    Free Member

NY Moors railway, leaving from Pickering.
    Dalby Forest inc' Go Ape and the Red Route for your bike.
    Sutton Bank, & the White Horse just 'round the corner and Byland Abbey too.
    Out to Helmsley, with its the market square and the castle, stop for tea at the Black Swan or the Feversham Arms (newly 1 star Michelin?) or eat in Haorme's well established Michelin Starred The Star or the Pheasant followed by Riveaux Abbey and the Terraces.
    Designer Outlet shopping off the York Bypass nr York.
    Scarborough.
    Drive over the Moors, through Hutton Le Hole onto Rosedale or pass by Fylingdales over to Runswickbay, Robinhoods Bay, Staithes (?) and Whitby.
    There a WW2 concentration Camp at Malton.
    Of course the magnificent Castle Howard.
    Shall I continue?

Philby

How about going north-west and have a trip round Herriot country – Thirsk (near Sutton Bank see above), Masham (Theakstons and Black Sheep Brewery), Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal.

Second suggestion above of Star Inn at Harome, possibly followed by a tour of Castle Howard.

Also there are some guided walks round York including a ghost walk. As well as the Minster some of the other churches in York are worth a look into.

naokfreek
    Free Member

go to london?

paulwf

Some good ideas thanks! We went on the NY Moors railway last time, that was good.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Try Sutton Bank & maybe Sutton under Whitestone (?) with its White horse and Mouse Man at Kilburn, XC via Byland Abbey (there's a good pub opposite if you are there at lunchtime) and up to Helmsley, taking in possibly the castle and then you go into the Park, taking in Riveaux Abbey and there above, the terraces.
    Tea at the Fevershams (Hotel of the year 2009/10).
    That'd be more than one day tbh but it's a logical route.
    Castle Howard needs at least 1/2 a day.
    Are you up for walking too as some of these have some decent footpaths and bridleways around them?

paulwf

We are up for a bit of walking, although I have a problem with walking with just wishing I was on my bike.

Ti29er
    Free Member

On the Castle Howard Estate, away from the house, there's some really interesting follies dotted around the woods and so it's worth haveing a map off Google even and exploring around the local woods and hinterland.
    Go to http://www.streetmap.co.uk and type in yo60.
    Up from Welburn etc it's pretty & interesting. South you have Kirkham too with a good pub, the Stone Trough Inn, on the hill opposite.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ghost Walk is a bit of fun.

Then do a tour of some of the great pubs and bars – Evil Eye, Old Starre, Lendal Cellars, The Maltings, The Yorkshire Terrier (home bar of the York Brewery – now owned by a Lancashirian Brewery)!…

jackal
    Free Member

Drink beer?
    Tour round the york brewery.
    Yorkshire wheel should kill 15 minutes or so.

Im with you on the walking thing, u'll just wish you were on the bike.

Ti29er
    Free Member

The Red Route at Dalby is fun and the longest such route in the UK. Takes about 2.5hrs – 3hrs for an average rider.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yorkshire wheel should kill 15 minutes or so.

Well it might kill an hour or two trying to find it – it was dismantled and removed ages ago!!!!!

jackal
    Free Member

Well it might kill an hour or two trying to find it – it was dismantled and removed ages ago!!!!!

Ha ha, mint, 😳 i went on it last year about june/july time.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

i went on it last year about june/july time.

😆

pacemaker
    Free Member

Maybe go to Jungle and nick an Ibis or two…
    sounds like they may not be too bothered, probably worth the hour drive for one!! 😀 😀

paulwf

We went to the nuclear bunker – it was pretty good. Only took an hour (and is only open every other weekend from November onwards)

Then wandered around the shops in the centre. I was impressed with Barnitts the independant hardware/department store!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

it it were me, i'd just go to the Train Museum again!

yoda
    Free Member

I know a bird in york….I could give you her number?! 😆

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Things to do in York’ is closed to new replies.