Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Things to do in the snow.
  • alexathome
    Free Member

Hi! Myself and my family are going to the ski slopes on the North Island of New Zeland in a couple of weeks (only for a long weekend). I’ve never skied or snowboarded before (unlike all the richy rich kids i went to school with) although i can surf and ride a skateboard (badly).

I don’t want to come a cropper too badly; is there anything i should plan for or avoid do you think? And do you think snowboarding or skying offers the most fun for the compleat begginer.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Snowboarding is quicker to learn than skiing IMO.
    If you can surf you know what rails are for, edges do the same job.
    You’ll just need to get used to being fastened to the board.
    Wear something waterproof, you will be on your knees or rear a lot.

melkor
    Free Member

If you can surf then you’ll be very fast in learning snowboarding. It’s easier (but crapper) than skiing 😉

The main injuries that I’ve seen from boarding have been broken wrists and bruised butts! If you’ve got padded shorts you could wear those under your waterproofs. Good waterproofs are definitely a good idea I’d say. If you’re really worried about injury and if you have or can get them maybe consider wrist gaurds.

Maybe lessons would be a good idea. You could get lessons each morning for a few hours and then spend the afternoon practising what you’ve learnt.

alexathome
    Free Member

Thankyou this is things i wouldn’t of thought of. I have some waterproof trousers for the bike, they are quite sturdy. I think i’ll try the snowboarding, it kind of looks cooler too, if combined with a beanie!

theflatboy
    Free Member

I think i’ll try the snowboarding, it kind of looks cooler too, if combined with a beanie!

wow, is it 1995? 🙂

if you can surf and skate then snowboarding will be a piece of piss, you’ll be going well after just a couple of days.

beanum

I haven’t been to New Zealand for over 10 years and I was in the South Island so things may be different but you should be aware that NZ doesn’t have ski resorts in the normal sense of the word. They are national parks with no accomodomation and limited facilities (compared to US or Europe). You *may* not be able to rock up and hire some gear but may have to source it from the nearest major town..
    This could be completely wrong and I’m happy to be corrected but it might be worth checking..

On the plus side, the kiwis are the friendlist people and will be happy to help out, it’s a great place and snowboarding rocks! Have a good time.. 🙂

Oh yeah, forget the beanie, wear a helmet..

melkor
    Free Member

Beanie. You mean you’re going boarding without a helmet? I think that this thread might just make 100 now!

Seriously though you should have a look at whether you want to wear a helmet or not. I do for skiing and a lot of other people do. I’m sure that you can hire one if you want to.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that you will struggle with any sort of tow lift (i.e. when you get pulled along the ground with your board still on!) so you should stick to gondolas (ideal) or chairlifts.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Helmet!!!!
    He’s going to be sliding down learner slopes not freeriding the blind side of Mt Cook!
    Not surprised you skiiers wear helmets the way you get in the path of snowboarders, bloody menace 😀

alexathome
    Free Member

Ooops thank goodness for the internet, i thought snow might be softish, ok i’ll hire a helmet too. I have checked out the places to stay and hire shops on route i’ve just got back from a cycle trip from the ‘snow fields’ so accomadation seems doable and so are lift passes. please don’t say i need a fluro jacket too or i’m not going to get any cool tokens.

melkor
    Free Member

I reckon it’s mostly boarders that wear helmets. Probably because it’s easier to catch an edge and get flipped quite fast into the ground on a board.

Skiers wear helmets because if you’re halfway decent you’re a lot faster than boarders!! 😀

melkor
    Free Member

I’ve got some really tasty 80’s jackets that I can’t bear to throw out. One tasty luminous pink and purple job with “Win the Mountain” written on the back. We also used to wear luminous sun block on our noses etc!

That’s one of the good things you boarders have done for the slopes; got rid of luminosity.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Snowboarding is quicker to learn than skiing IMO.

Eh? You are joking aren’t you? If you are new to board sports you WILL spend most of the time on your ass for the first few weeks/season. I can’t ski but both of my sons can and my youngest after 3 days at the ski school could ski like seasoned professional and he’s only five. I would encourage you to have at least one day with an instructor to get the basics sorted.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i can both ski and snowboard and love both in equal measure.

melkor
    Free Member

Always cracks me up the Skiers vs Snowboards thing. I’ve skied since I was 4 and there just weren’t boards around then. Did a bit of boarding when they came on the scene and I was a teenager.

relaxed, flowing style – just like on a bike flowing doesn’t mean slow! 😀 and skiers were ripping the powder before snowboards were ever invented as well. It’s a great feeling holding an edge on skis with your everything you’ve got over it just the same as it is floating down some powder chute somewhere. All good.

Boarding is good too, not knocking it, just for me skiing is much better and more versatile. Anyway, we digress from the topic in hand!

theflatboy
    Free Member

you’re right, there is no merit in trying to establish one as better than the other. i too can do both and enjoy both. 🙂

beanum

I think skiing might seem easier to learn because you stay on your feet most of the time but after a week you’ll be lucky to venture past a blue run or a snowplough.

Boarding on the other hand is more frustrating ‘cos you end up on your ass all the time but once you’ve cracked it you can pretty much get down any slope (even if it’s on one edge).

I board, have never skiied, but have friends who do both…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Things to do in the snow.’ is closed to new replies.