• This topic has 18 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by MTT.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Things to do in the near Eyam/Bakewell – Peak District
  • MTT
    Free Member

All, I could do with some help, I’ve got a cottage booked for this weekend just outside of Bakewell for myself, my parents and my brothers family. Can anyone suggest any activities? Are there any towns/museums/houses worth a look? Can anyone suggest a restaurant for a good (slightly up market) meal, perhaps a nice pub/bistro?

Any help genuinely appreciated, as ever I’ve left it until the last minute…

Sadly no bikes!

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

There is only the Miners pub in Eyam that I know of, but still a great pint!

MartynS

chatsworth/haddon hall

Bakewell can be nice (if busy)

Ashford arms In Ashford in the water Just outside Bakewell does (imho) the best Sunday lunch in the world

there’s a heritage railway that runs from Rowsley to Matlock.
    And Matlock is worth a poke around

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Matlock is ok if you like charity shops. I agrees Bakewell is nice if busy at weekends.

amodicumofgnar

Monsal Head Hotel and the cafe next to it are good. Monsal trail if you want pootling cycling. Hassop Station Cafe is a top tea and cake place – on the way to Bakewell. Pub on the green in Foolow – couple of miles west of Eyam. Nice with good food rather than uber posh.

Curbar Edge and Longshaw Estate for walking.

Buxton is about 25min drive away – Simply Thai does good food but can be a little slow.

Remember its ee-m not I-am. They get very upset if you call it I-am.

amodicumofgnar

Just had a thought – slightly posh – the french place in Bakewell but I cant remember the name of it. Never been but some of the people at work rate it.

Shorty121
    Free Member

Simple Thai – is great
    The Church – Pub in Chelmorton is great

If you ever want showing round on a ride just drop me an email.

Shorty121
    Free Member

oldagedpredator – Felicini?

Richie_B

Go on push the boat out Fishers in Baslow (Take your bother’s credit card)

Castleton mines/caves – take a trip on the underground boat. Not quite as impressive as it sounds, but still worth doing. Loads of lovely scenery nearby too – take a walk up Edale/Jacobs Ladder (and dream of cleaning it upwards on a bike – look on with jealousy at those that you see flying back down 😉 ) up to Kinder Scout and back. I’m sure there will be somewhere nice to eat to make a day of it.

soundninjauk

I have extremely fond memories of eating very well in the Bakewell Pudding Shop. Amazing Bakewell puddings there (unsurprisingly). Plenty of old railway lines turned into gentle bike rides in the area as well I think. Something like the Monsal Trail?

Mrs STR used to work in the Bakewell Pudding Shop.

OP said no bikes though soundninjauk…

amodicumofgnar

Shorty, that didnt ring any bells – just had a google and there’s two but piedaniels is sounds right.

http://www.piedaniels-restaurant.com/

BillMC

Eyam is worth checking out re its plague history and it has some great tearooms.

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

piedaniels is nice but is quite posh. I’d thoroughly recommend Rowleys in baslow, run by Fischers but cheaper and more like a pub, was great for my gf’s graduation celebration. If you want a more bistro pub type thing, the White Lion in Great Longstone is really good (and just round the corner from me) or my second and third local choices are the packhorse in little longstone (more of a normal pub but very good food) or the monsal head as mentioned above. All three of these are within walking distance for me which can be bad on a sunny sunday afternoon

Matt

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

oh and Pie Daniels might not ring a bell as it used to be called Renaissance, still the same people but it’s a little cheaper and less pretentious. You don’t get sorbet between course etc but still very nice

soundninjauk

Oops. Must read post more carefully next time…

tracknicko
    Free Member

Youre on holiday with no bike?!

But panic ye not…

Theres a fantastic whisky shop in bakewell.

Job done.

MTT
    Free Member

Thanks for everyone’s advice, we stayed in Gridleford, visited Chatsworth, Eyam, Bakewell & Monsal Head for a walk. We ate at the Devonshire Arms in Beeley (really good) and Rowleys in Baslow on STW recommendation.

It was fantastic, a brilliant place to visit.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Things to do in the near Eyam/Bakewell – Peak District’ is closed to new replies.