Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Things to do in that there London town/village
  • plumber
    Free Member

Well it seems I’m here for a good few months if not longer so………

If you could do/see/experience only one thing in greater London what would it be.

I’ve already hit the bigger art galleries/museums. Booked a ticket to the ballet and sat and watched daft bike commuters in town.

Anything considered, the dafter the better

Many thanks

Plum

thejesmonddingo

Nothing to see,nothing to do,thread closed.

crikey
    Free Member

Find Captain Flasheart and do a poo through his letterbox,

signed, a chippy Northern Monkey.

Stoner
    Free Member

Eltham palace

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

There’s not really a lot to do here, sorry, can’t help I’m afraid. 😐

(Don’t worry I’ll be back… 😉 )

plumber
    Free Member

Stoner – Thank you, looks good

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Here I am!

One thing only?

Well, then I think I’d go out to Woolwich, then get the Thames Clipper boat service from Woolwich Pier to the London Eye.

Really nice journey, relaxing, not expensive and you can have a drink on board. Get to see some of the best bits of London, that way.

plumber
    Free Member

Elfin – I’ll give it a go – thank you

BillMC

Go to St Paul’s, walk across the Milennium Bridge and spend an hour or two in the Tate Modern (and pay particular attention to the Giacomettis). Bliss.

flip
    Free Member

Last week i got the Red Rover from Westminster pier to Greenwich, you can jump on and off all day for £13.50. Bargin.

Visit the Ice bar??

Yo gotta get to Ronnie Scotts too 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Go to the Wallace Collection.
    More to follow….

rewski
    Free Member

Yes, top of St Pauls is a must, whispering gallery and higher. Borough market if you like food. There’s also a really nice sauna in Streatham called Chariots, very friendly I hear.

plumber
    Free Member

Go to St Paul’s, walk across the Milennium Bridge and spend an hour or two in the Tate Modern (and pay particular attention to the Giacomettis). Bliss.

did that weekend before last – was good though 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Some more;
    Go to the National Gallery and wonder at Stubbs, Constable, Canaletto and more
    Go the National Portait Gallery and just marvel at all the wonder
    Go to Wapping and sip ale by the river
    Go to Greenwhich and repeat as above
    Go to the Museums and remember what “museum” means – “Let us think”
    Go to Covent Garden. Just go. Tourists and mayhem but wonderful!
    Ride down the river to Kew for a picnic in the gardens
    Go for a ride around the City at 0100 on a summer Sunday morning
    Go to Ronnie Scott’s or Pizza on the Park and listen to some lovely music
    Go to the Albert Hall and take in a Prom
    Go to the Children’s Museum in Bethnal Green
    I could go on….

atlaz
    Free Member

If you’ve got a bike, get the train from Waterloo to Surbiton, head for the river and ride from there into central London or to Weybridge if you want a shorter ride (or a walk but if you do, start from Kingston). It’ll take you a bit, you can stop and get a beer and some food on the way. I gather there’s a couple of us STW people around that stretch of the Thames so you might be able to get beer buddies.

Get the tube to some place towards the edge of zone 1 like Earls Court and walk back to central London, stop in odd pubs and chat to people (or read if you’re that way inclined). I’ve had some good days that way surprisingly enough and you see more places and interesting stuff.

If you go to the Brick Lane area for the bike shops, go to Beigel Bake and get a salt beef beigel (beware of some of the dodgy curry houses down there though, there’s some absolute crap). While you’re over there, there’s good vietnamese up Shoreditch way too.

corroded
    Free Member

Looks like I’m also back in the city after having attempted escape a couple of years ago. Can’t say it’s my favourite place on earth but the consolation is that there is tonnes to get up to, whatever you’re into. My tip is to check out the events – there’s always something interesting on, from late-night museum openings at the V&A etc to pop-up restaurants, mushroom picking tours on Hampstead Heath etc. You can rent canoes on canals or learn to do pretty much anything. It could be worse.
    Personally, you can’t go wrong with a few Meantime beers in Greenwich and the boat back (as per Elfin’s suggestion) and Flash is right, Kew rocks, especially the bat-spotting tours in summer. I’d also add a visit to Dennis Severs’ house on an autumnal evening. This book has a few more ideas:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Slow-London-Guide-Guides/dp/0980374693/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305662644&sr=8-1

molgrips
    Free Member

duntstick
    Free Member

London Dungeons is good for a laugh

Northwind

I’d go to camden stables, get a curry from one of the bladerunneresque street food stalls, and watch people. It’s lost some of its rough edges but still a good place

Also:
    Climb the Monument
    British Museum, Science Museum, Natural History Museum even if you’ve been to them all before.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Don’t you just love it when someone posts something that you wanted to know as well, thus saving you the effort of having to ask the question yourself – cheers Plum 🙂

Now just have to try to fit all of those things into the time that I’ll have free on Friday afternoon …

Bez

Buy a custard tart or two from Crown on the Strand.

Go to Borough Market with a pocketful of cash whilst hungry.

Walk everywhere.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

SueW; come and meet me, and I’ll show you around, innit?

Don’t worry I’m perfectly safe, ask Kev. 🙂

yossarian
    Free Member

Agree with bez, walk, walk and walk some more.

Bez

Oh, and always carry a pocket camera. Look everywhere – above your head, down alleys. There’s lots of interesting aspects of modern, and not-so-modern, life tucked away all over the place.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Hey Elf! If you have a few hours to spare on Friday pm and don’t mind showing a bumbling country bumpkin around, then that would be great 🙂 I’m afraid I’ll be in boring corporate mode as I’ll have been stuck in work meetings all morning, and I have a date with a big mountain in Wales on sat so have to head back on Friday evening.

I’ll ask Kev if you can be considered safe enough …

Sue_W
    Free Member

Oh, and might be around on thurs eve as well, if those London places are open after 5pm … 🙂

kimbers

only 1 thing?

best club night in the world

nsfw

http://www.torturegarden.com/

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Sue; I’d be more than hppy to show you to the nearest pub around a bit! 🙂

Get me email off Kev, then let me know what yer plans are so’s I can think up something fun.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Things to do in that there London town/village’ is closed to new replies.