Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Things to do in Tenby when you’re dead…
  • Harry_the_Spider

…or on holiday.

Going in September for a week with small and irritable children (and wife). No bikes.

What is worth seeing in the area or within a 1 hour drive?

rOcKeTdOg

Go on the ghost walk, if you get the same guide we had she is fantastic!

Crell
    Free Member

Folly Farm is around there I think? Our kids loved it.

The beaches are fantastic.

Oh and walk from Stackpole through the Bosherston (sp?) Lily ponds to the beach – beautiful.

binners

Go Coastearing! Its a right old laugh!

wooohoooooooooooooooooooo

Probably best not with a small child, but seeing as you’ve no bike, surely you’ll have deserved a couple of hours out at some point

aracer
    Free Member

Can I check – is your wife small or just irritable?

Folly Farm is around there I think?

Indeed – that was going to be my first suggestion. Also go for a trip to Caldey Island. If your kids are old enough to appreciate it and you havce deep pockets then Blue Lagoon isn’t too far away.

Personally I pack a surfski when we go on holiday there (previously I’ve taken a windsurfer – windsurfing to Caldey Island was strangely satisfying as the kind of thing you don’t normally do).

Of course don’t forget the local stuff – excellent beaches, go and visit the harbour, and the lifeboat station is also worth a visit. From a personal point of view, if you’re a strong enough swimmer then you can swim round St Catherine’s Island – though watch out as the tidal currents are quite strong (fun to float with the current through the arch in the middle).

Harry_the_Spider

Can I check – is your wife small or just irritable?

5’2″

Kids are 3 and 1.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Check out the ruins of the slate mine and blue lagoon at Aberrreidy beach. (can be tied in with coasteering too). Might be just within an hours drive. Not sure though.

aracer
    Free Member

Kids are 3 and 1.

Good age to take them there (we first went when oldest was 18mo – last went a month ago with 4yo and 2yo) – have fun!

IdleJon

Yep, plus many for Folly Farm. It sounds like the sort of place that would be horrible but it is actually a good fun day out, and not very expensive either. Expect to pay for rides when you get inside, but again they aren’t particularly expensive.

Manor House Wildlife Park is worth a visit. Ann Ryder Richardson’s zoo. You’ll only spend a couple of hours at most looking at the animals, but if it’s a nice day, take a picnic and there are plenty of nice places to sit and relax while the kids play. The food is good in the cafe.

If your kids are into castles, there are plenty of them around. Kidwelly castle is nice.

Laugharne is nice for a short wander, and chips below the castle. (And a quick peak into Dylan Thomas’s writing shed.)

Iirc there is a ‘chocolate factory’ just outside Whitland, up the hill from where I used to live. Offhand I can’t remember where exactly.

Loads of good beaches in any direction from Tenby.

I’ve just asked my kids for any other suggestions of where to visit and the 4 year old has suggested ‘Egypt’. 🙄

salad_dodger

Pembroke Castle is excellent & so is Manorbier Castle. As others have mentioned visit Folly Farm which is near Narberth and will provide enough entertainment for the best part of a day. Tenby itself has an excellent beach and the Harbour is also nice for a walk around.

Stackpole Estate is one of the most beautiful places there is, with a huge area of lilly ponds to walk around and the magnificent beaches of Broad Haven & Barafundle Bay. Excellent teashop with quality cakes as well which makes it worth the effort to get there.

If its raining you could check out the Blue Lagoon which has a really good indoor pool (suitable for all ages) and a separate indoor play area which is very good.

Disagree with anyone recommending a visit to Manor House Wildlife Park as we thought it was so bad it was almost funny. Used to go there as a child on school trips but my god has it gone downhill since. Took our children in May and it was dire.

IdleJohn – Pembertons Chocolate Farm is probably the one you’re thinking of? Worth a visit.

rewski
    Free Member
    daveh
    Free Member

Road biking!

IdleJon

salad_dodger – Member
    Disagree with anyone recommending a visit to Manor House Wildlife Park as we thought it was so bad it was almost funny. Used to go there as a child on school trips but my god has it gone downhill since. Took our children in May and it was dire.

We went in June and had a really nice day!

But, there aren’t many animals there and really we just enjoyed having a picnic on a nice day with some good friends, so maybe nothing at all to do with the place itself. I won’t argue if my suggestion is scrubbed!

I think I felt like they were actually trying to do something positive in Manor House. And they had thought about why people visit and provided bikes for kids to ride, assorted toys around the lawns, play areas etc.

Mind you I hated Bristol Zoo when we first took the kids and loved it last time we went, so I will change my mind depending on how grumpy I am on the day.

IdleJohn – Pembertons Chocolate Farm is probably the one you’re thinking of? Worth a visit.

That’s the place. I lived in that area when I bought my first ever MTB!

clunker

Another Folly farm vote, also Oakwood is popular with our three young children.

rOcKeTdOg

I forgot the icecream parlors, used to love them as a kid, once stayed in a house in lower frog st too, happy memories

geoffj

Folly farm
    Bluestone Lagoon
    Manorbier beach & castle
    Abereiddy & Blue Lagoon + walk across to Porthgain for food in the sloop
    Farmers arms beer garden in St David’s
    Bosherston pools & castle Martin (check firing times with mod)
    Lifeboat station in Tenby
    Carew tidal mill

thejesmonddingo

+1 for the Sloop at Porthgain,Solva is worth a look too.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

folly farm is great and you can pay with Tesco clubcard vouchers to save a few quid. 😀

lister

All those up there are great, I live here and I go to all those 🙂 (Except Bluestone and pool…piss poor shitty place) Haverfordwest pool is far better for kids and cheaper and nicer in every way.
    South Pembrokeshire is great. Touristy family stuff and proper out of the way beaches, cliffs, woods etc.

Just mooching round Tenby for the day is nice.

Klunk
    Free Member

Carreg Cennen Castle, take a torch, lead the family down the cave then turn it off, should scare them shitless 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Go a little way off to the Quay at Cresswell. Maurice will look after you well!

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

avoid cardigan island farm park- there is nothing there. you are better off with folly farm and anna ryder richardsons place.

Bluestone is great and i’m local. the indoor play centre and pool are great but busy on a wet day.

Beaches. From the north i would reccomend poppit sands, newport sandy beach not the town one, newgale, broad haven and barafundle bay

oh and take a road bike. I grew up in cardigan and the roadbiking is ace. pembrokeshire however is a mountainbiking desert.

the preselis /carn ingli near newport are nive for a walk and if your in the area the tafarn zinc in rosebush is worth a visit.

enjoy

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Things to do in Tenby when you’re dead…’ is closed to new replies.