Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Things to do before I'm 40…..
  • leffeboy

Get a real job 😉

Liking some of the suggestions up there such as like abroad for >12mn and bivvy nights (with or without jelly)

How about
    Appearing somewhere in a film
    Finding 5 stw’ers who live abroad and going riding for a weekend with each group (ok, finances may kill that one)

restless
    Free Member

First time I saw the term LEJOG I thought it was some pseudo-French term, “Le Jog”, meaning something like “The trip”. Even after I knew it related to riding from Lands End to John O’Groats it took a while to realise it was an acronym

me too 😳

beej

maccruiskeen – maybe I should have added a smiley…

bagpuss72
    Free Member

leffeboy – Member

Get a real job

Good job I know what you do cheeky!! 😀

Lovin’ these, sounds like you’re all doing your own lists too in your heads now 😀

Thanks guys x

allthegear
    Free Member

As it happens, when I was 40 I made a list of the things I had done so far (mainly to try and top it in the next 40 years…) Do any of these give you ideas??

Jumped out of a plane (twice)
    Flown a plane (not the same one as above!)
    Been whitewater kayaking (both above and underground)
    Been caving
    Climbed up to 6b grade (yes, I know that’s not very good)
    Climbed up the Mer de Glace
    Ridden all sorts of Mountain Biking World Cup courses (slowly!)
    Ridden from the west to the east coast of England in a day
    Taught fencing to six year olds
    Taught IT to six year olds
    Worked at a music concert
    Heard Queen in Concert
    Met The Queen
    Met several other queens
    Been out with a Doctor, a Nurse, a Midwife and a Nursery Nurse (not all at once!)
    Swam with Dolphins
    Skied down an active volcano
    Bought a house
    Appeared, as a competitor, on Sky Sports
    Been to Le Mans 24 Heures
    Driven down the Mulsanne straight
    Been to the inaugural year of a music festival
    Span my car through 360 degrees 😮
    Owned an Alfa Romeo
    Driven a Challenger 2 tank (badly)
    Been to an arms fair
    Been ice climbing
    Torn ankle ligaments, dislocated a shoulder and prolapsed a disc

Rachel

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Oooooooooh Thanks Rachel some ace ones there, I’ve only done four of them (dependant on what sort of queens you meant 😀 )

I’d actually be more scared about owning an Alfa Romeo lovely aren’t they but cost alot when they break down, well my ex’s did anyway 😆

jools182
    Free Member

fantastic list Rachel 🙂

hels
    Free Member

Girl I went to school with said that she wanted to have a nervous breakdown and to go to prison before she was 40, so she had experienced life or some such rubbish. Must look her up…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Unsupported multiday trekking in the wilds –

mogrim

Bollocks, great list Rachel but I’ve only got 6 months to do it in.

Except the last item, could do without torn ligaments!

bagpuss72
    Free Member

TJ do I have to eat grubs or can I take a packed lunch 😀

sambob
    Free Member

Do a Bob Graham Round. My dad did one in 2008(?) and loved it, fellrunning helps but it’s only an average speed of 3MPH, walk up, run down. 42 times 😯

allthegear
    Free Member

bagpuss – you’re right about the Alfa breaking down!! I had two; the second one last 3 days before breaking down and telling me there was water in the diesel tank. It was a petrol car.

Oh – and I meant drag queens…

Rachel

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Take a packed lunch 🙂

Me and Mrs TJ do this every year – it really clears the mind. Heading off again in 3 weeks

bagpuss72
    Free Member

I do love walking I’m much better at it than cycling!!

I’d like to do a proper trek for the charity I work for next year, Peru or Great Wall of China you need to raise a SHEDLOAD of money so needs thinking through properly if anyone fancies doing it to?

sambob
    Free Member

You really need to be able to run though, and stay on your feet for up to 24 hours. Record is 13 😯

bagpuss72
    Free Member

😯

allthegear
    Free Member

I’d love to do a big expedition – but nothing tooo obvious – maybe something like a long trek in Mongolia??

Rachel

JEngledow
    Free Member

Assault a politician and/or lunge wildly at a member of the royal family!

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Rachel

I’ve been contacted by a company who we can organise it through my thinking was to try and get some local people interested too round here but you’re right something a bit different than the norm may spark more interest

allthegear
    Free Member

Some people are excited by the idea of self-reliance that is needed on an unusual trip and some (the majority?) are turned off by it. You’ll need to know what type of people you can attract.

Either way, 2012 is likely to be a bit of a challenging year for me anyway – being stuck in the middle of nowhere could be a very bad thing. If you’re plan falls in 2013, let me know!!

Rachel

emsz
    Free Member

I want to:

Learn trapeze, sail across either the Pacific or Atlantic. travel down from Alaska to the bottom of South America (forgot what the end country is 😳 ) Live in Paris. Live in Los Angles. To begin with.

TiRed

In no particular order…
    Tandem skydive
    Drive something fast around the Nurburgring
    Marathon de Sables
    Become an egg donor
    Become fluent in a foreign language
    Buy a nice road bike
    Scuba dive on the Great Barrier Reef
    Road trip across America
    Bag all 284 munroes in Scotland
    Train to Tibet

Should keep you out of trouble for a while.

molgrips
    Free Member

Sail the Atlantic.. yeah.. that reminds me of one of my schemes. One day, instead of flying to see Mrs Grips’ folks I’d like to sail. You’d have to go from Cardiff across the Altantic, go up the Eastern Seabord, then down the St Lawrence seaway into the Great Lakes.. then there’s a river/canal that goes into the lake by their town. You could then walk over to their house.. that would be so aweseome 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

bagpuss72 – Member

I do love walking I’m much better at it than cycling!!

I’d like to do a proper trek for the charity I work for next year, Peru or Great Wall of China you need to raise a SHEDLOAD of money so needs thinking through properly if anyone fancies doing it to?

Please forget this. People have real giving fatigue over these and why should we pay so you can have a holiday. Its all organised for you anyway and no adventure. want to do this do it yourself – and it can be done in Scotland.

Want to raise money for charity do something useful that does not cost thousands just to take part.

Want to do some trekking? Heres some pics of scottish treks I have done – I have also do it in Chile, Slovcenia, France and heading for italy this year

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah I dunno about those charity things either.

“I want the holiday of a lifetime so give some money to charity so I can go”

chi11i
    Free Member

I’m 40 this June and after watching lots of friends go through that barrier and it turn into an ugly mess, these are some of the things I’m NOT going to do – and I suggets you might like to avoid some of them:

Buy a sports car
    Shag someone I shouldn’t
    Run off with a friends wife
    Start going to nightclubs again
    Get into religion
    Skinny jeans
    Buy a bar
    Make inappropriate gestures to women half my age to prove to myself I’m not really 40
    Get my old record collection out f the loft and force my kids to listen to it

There’s probably more I could list that Ive witnessed.

I’m probably going to buy a new bike instead.

allthegear
    Free Member

Start going to nightclubs again

oops

Skinny jeans

oops

Make inappropriate gestures to women half my age to prove to myself I’m not really 40

oops

Rachel

kimbers

things ive done that i really reccomend

not as hard as you think but still shit your pants scary

climbing the inca trail in cloud to have the sun come out when you get to macchu pichu

everyone should go to TG at least once in their life, strict dress code for sure but the outfits, the stage shows, the decor, the atmos, without a doubt the best club in the world

ok so since the wall went up its never had the same magic but still the craziest 4 day party youll ever go to

mamadirt
    Free Member

Just do stuff because you want to, not ’cause you’re approaching 40. Looking back, lots of the memorable stuff I did between 40 and 50 wasn’t part of some mid-life crisis plan, more ‘stuff that just happened’ . . .

Midnight sun . . . just weird
    Drove across USA . . . best holiday ever
    Bought 70+ new bikes 😛 . . . and sold them all except one
    Sold my kids 😳 . . . saw my kids become independent(ish)
    Found a job I love doing
    Found loads more me time 😛

Getting older rocks! 8)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Be 32
    Be 33
    Be 34
    Be 35
    Be 36
    Be 37
    Be 38
    Be 39

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

*buys torture garden tickets*

😯

😈

scraprider
    Free Member

how about “get a grip of yer self” your only 40 life starts now like

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Things to do before I'm 40…..’ is closed to new replies.