Viewing 35 posts - 121 through 155 (of 155 total)
  • things that annoy you about mountain bikers?
  • Dave
    Free Member

The problem with group rides is they go on regardless of weather and trail conditions. We’ve seen this happen in Calderdale with the deterioration of sensitive trails.

Local riders have a reason to preserve the quality of the riding so will adapt to the weather, if it’s wet we stick to rocky tracks and keep off the peat. Groups don’t do this and subsequently damage the trails.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

just given up talking to someone who wont listen.

I’m listening TJ, it’s just that your arguments don’t seem to apply to much of the terrain I ride

simonfbarnes – Thatchers child

that is very hurtful 🙁

but you cant discuss from a fixed viewpoint

I’m willing to change if proved wrong

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

It’s hard to ignore him and the his boggy crew due to the damage that they do. He’s an enviromental distaster.

I think you’re guessing, or do you have actual evidence?

RustySpanner

I used to really like his posts on here – I thought he was amusing.

He then decided to ride up Stoodley Pike in Calderdale on a sunny summer Sunday a couple of years ago with all his crew tagging along behind him.

I’m not so keen now.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

He then decided to ride up Stoodley Pike in Calderdale on a sunny summer Sunday a couple of years ago with all his crew tagging along behind him.

wrong, I have never led a ride including Stoodley Pike, it’s always a local.

mt
    Free Member

simonfbarnes I know that you’ll be fed up hearing about trail damage but there was a time when the climb from the ford to the Gate via the hairpin bend on Jacobs Ladder was all grass (I was young fit and good looking then). That’s long gone now due to the amount of mtb traffic it gets (walkers use the steps near by). In the same way that parts of the Pennine Way are having to be surfaced due to boot traffic us mtbers must acknowledge the damage we do. We are human and we make a mess, it’s how we respod to the damage that will keep us on the trails.

The Thatcher jibe should not be taken as to much of an insult, you did write “me and mine” after all.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Chaps, this thread is falling into what we might call the “Simonfbarnes Pit” in which each post increases exponentially the probability that the answer to the Great Question of Life, The Universe and Everything is in fact “SFB”. Before you know it you will be engaged in a detailed and ill-tempered argument about whether Simon is in fact autistic, Hitler or a pan-dimensional space-lizard with personal grooming issues and VPL while he goads you into putting forward ever more deranged theories about his ego. This is never a great use of bandwidth. 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

us mtbers must acknowledge the damage we do.

I didn’t say we cause no damage, but that TJ’s dire predictions were unfounded (as confirmed by the park ranger)

The Thatcher jibe should not be taken as to much of an insult

no, it was funny :o)

while he goads you into putting forward ever more deranged theories about his ego

actually, it doesn’t need much goading, it’s pretty much free running!

mt
    Free Member

Bigdummy – that’s it, sfb autistic.

SweetJumps
    Free Member

Riders at events who come screaming up behind you shouting “Pro rider coming through!”. If they are that ‘effing profesional they should be able to get past without all the abuse.
    It’s even worse when they come blasting past on an uphill section and then I overtake them on the down hill.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

that’s it, sfb autistic.

I think there may be a higher level of intentionality…

ourmaninthenorth

it’s not illegal, it’s a tort, whereas assault is a criminal offence

Illegal means the same as unlawful. A tort is, therefore, both: it’s a civil, rather than a criminal, wrong. Assualt is both a criminal offence and also a tortious act.

I do believe SFB has just solved the big bang theory. Or created a black hole. Not sure which.

Anyway, back ON TOPIC, the primary things that annoy me about MTBers:

1. Faff. My god, just how long does it take to get you and your space craft ready for a couple of hours up a hill.

2. Eye contact. Or the lack of it. It may be because they all work in IT and already have borderline personality disorders, or it may also be that they’d rather asses your conversaiton value on the basis of how “good” your bike is. It’s the legs, numpties – they’re what get you up the hills.

3. Mountain biking. Apparently in some way a superior pastime than just “riding a bike” or “cycling”.

🙂

Spongebob
    Free Member

Everything about them annoys me!

I am the only person I don’t get annoyed with, but even I can’t tolerate myself now and again.

hora
    Free Member

When a lose-group starts becoming a clique.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Illegal means the same as unlawful.

OK I was imprecise. It’s not unlawful to be on private property, but if there is no right of way one is liable for damage caused to the ground etc, and THAT would be the tort. Also there is a possible question over the bike itself, which I believe is not held to be a reasonable thing for a person to have with them, unlike say clothes or a pram or a walking stick. I think this is moot, but for instance say a washing machine WOULD be unreasonable …

Gilles

MTBiker having a go at IT people (don’t look at my profile).

BigDummy
    Free Member

When a lose-group starts becoming a clique.

This annoys me too. Losing shouldn’t be elitist.

MOJOK
    Free Member

Before you know it you will be engaged in a detailed and ill-tempered argument about whether Simon is in fact autistic, Hitler or a pan-dimensional space-lizard with personal grooming issues and VPL while he goads you into putting forward ever more deranged theories about his ego. This is never a great use of bandwidth. [:-)]

Says you. This sh*! is better that pro wrestling. I don’t even own a, What do you call it ?, mountain bike?

james
    Free Member

“I thought he was amusing.

I’m not so keen now”

Even if he were to have led a bike ride on a sunny summer day, why should that make you have a negative view?

“there was a time when the climb from the ford to the Gate via the hairpin bend on Jacobs Ladder was all grass .. That’s long gone now due to the amount of mtb traffic it gets”

Its a (well publicised in the MTB press) bridleway, where do want people to bike ride? Being walled off it surely encourages not only the mtb traffic, but the rainfall of the hillside it cuts across too?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

there was a time when the climb from the ford to the Gate via the hairpin bend on Jacobs Ladder was all grass

erosion isn’t always a bad thing – the bottom section of JL is more exciting as tumbled rocks than it would have been as grass, and I’ve already mentioned how it washed away the rubbishy sanitisation on Walna Scar (helped by the powered vehicles that were initially allowed to use it)

People who ride slowly along a narrow sheep track with dense heather on both sides on a Merida Marathon, ignoring all my light hearted, polite requests to either go a bit faster or move over, then shouting “This is singletrack, you know !” when I force my way past relying on greater mass and velocity to give me right of way.

And litter.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

when I force my way past relying on greater mass and velocity to give me right of way

you may become a new hate figure…

People who stop at the top of a slippery grass slope on a different Merida Marathon, blocking the trail, because there is someone else walking down, then moan at me as I tramp round through the brambles to get past them and then say “I was waiting for the section to clear so I could ride it” as I ride down it, past the guy walking.

I’m just digging myself in deeper here, aren’t I ?

Jimmer
    Free Member

mt – Member
    Those who complain about walker while illegal riding on footpaths. Even if said walker pushes them off.

What an unnecessary, small minded and bitchy comment, one to add your your collection….

I’ve been lurking these forums for years and never have I seen a collection of so many opinionated narrow minded people in all my life, only a small percentage on the whole though, I better get that in so as to not tar everyone with the same brush, just a nod to mt yet again. Telling people where they may ride, how they may ride and generally ridiculing people at any opportunity. Great

What a shame, this is what I hate about mountain bikers

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I’m just digging myself in deeper here, aren’t I ?

I just need a picture of your face to glue onto this pin-sticking doll 🙂

and generally ridiculing people at any opportunity. Great

I like ridiculing people, particularly ones I know well, but it’s intended to be good natured :o)

What a shame, this is what I hate about mountain bikers

I think it’s more a characteristic of web geeks…

hopevalley

not much point mentioning the HUGE groups of folk destroying the trails in the peak on a wet weekend . . . usually with lots of back brake and a disapproving view of flat bars and pink accessoies . . . . don’t mind them at all . . . .!!!?

and the ‘DHers’- bigger underpants than shorts and lots of armour – that i have to pass on my ‘XC’ rig on every descent . . .

and . . . to be fair . . . most trail centres. . . . how many of us have had to slow or stop for the above mentioned ???? you travel lots to ride a couple of laps of a forest and some **** on a DH bike tells you he ‘didn’t have the right line’ . . . . he’s pushed the b**t**d thing for 3 miles . . .and still f***** it up.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

destroying the trails in the peak on a wet weekend

which ones are destroyed ? Most of the ones I’ve been on have been great!

hopevalley

simon – where you been riding recently . . . . . .ffs!!!??? and how often are you out in the peak? today was a right mess . . .

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

and how often are you out in the peak?

maybe 5 times a year (I live in Lancaster). When I was last there a month ago it was flippin gorgeous:

where you been riding recently

you mean it’s recently been trashed ? Or are you a mud-tart??

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Of course I’m not a peaks expert, but the poorest section I know is from Whinstone Lee Tor towards the cobbled descent to Derwent. The bit that runs level beside a wall has frequent deep mud plunges

hicksville
    Free Member

Simon do not wish to go over old ground, no pun intended, nor were my comments aimed at any one club or ‘group’ it was and is something that annoys me about mountain biking. The bits you mention on longride fell are not dry nor have they ever dried out in the last 3 years and the pics show the damage and devestation caused, I agree with Dave moderators point re group rides.
    Agree with the issue of faffing, nightmare.

Mike-E

this website. Bah.

RustySpanner

Simon, just logged on after a couple of days away and noticed your response to my post.

I didn’t realise it wasn’t you who led the summer sunday Stoodley Pike ride and I apologise for suggesting that it was.
    Memory obviously playing tricks.

Doesn’t change my opinion of the ride itself, but wouldn’t want to have a go at you for something you didn’t do!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The bits you mention on longride fell are not dry nor have they ever dried out in the last 3 years

Honest it was 2 weeks ago, but that’s not devastation, that’s a patch of mud, due to the combination of passage of bikes/feet and poor drainage

I didn’t realise it wasn’t you who led the summer sunday Stoodley Pike ride and I apologise for suggesting that it was.

no need to apologise, I wouldn’t hesitate to do it if no one else were available.

Coasting
    Free Member

Middle aged **** with body armour. If they learned to ride wouldnt have to look so “core”.Although they r generally good for a laugh

Viewing 35 posts - 121 through 155 (of 155 total)

The topic ‘things that annoy you about mountain bikers?’ is closed to new replies.