Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Things I learnt/realised/remembered today…
  • mboy
    Free Member

Had a ride today, for the first time on my 26" wheeled hardtail in ages. Here's what I realised/remembered…

1. 26" wheeled bikes don't do steep climbs as well (IMO) as 29ers. Before my legs would run out of stem, the terrain had got steep enough that even sitting right on the very front of the saddle and leaning right forwards, the bike was trying to wheelie. By contrast on my 29er Inbred I can pretty much just sit in the saddle and turn the pedals up pretty steep stuff.

2. 26" wheeled bikes are much livelier. You've got to pay more attention to the terrain, and be more prepared. I know I can take massive liberties on my 29er over the rougher stuff as it just plows through it, it's like riding a DH bike sometimes but without the wallowy suspension. Probably makes my 26" wheeled hardtail more involving, the kind of bike I'd rather take out for a short blast, whereas by contrast the 29er you can sit back and relax more and just pedal.

3. 26" wheeled bikes are ever so slightly more nimble, but there really isn't a huge deal in it like some people would have you believe. In my experience, there's nothing a 29er can't cope with with a good rider (not necessarily me) on board so we really are splitting hairs here.

4. Derailleur gears, whilst a royal PITA in the winter cos they need constant maintenance, do rock in summer time…

5. The Shimano Servowave levers made a much bigger difference than I thought they would to my XTR calipers braking power… From 2 fingers needed all the time, to easy single finger braking!

6. Steel hardtails do indeed rock, whatever the wheel size!

7. Shimano SPD pedals, set up quite loosely, aren't anywhere near as bad as I seem to remember them being… Been a Crank Bros rider for years now, but tried some old SPD's today and well… Didn't really notice them when I was riding!

8. Big volume, fast tyres are the way forward in summer… MUCH less effort to pedal, still grippy enough, and loadsa cushioning.

Anyway, that is all… 😀

luked2
    Free Member

Mmmm, gears. There's a whole world of debate just unpacking that one.

mboy
    Free Member

Mmmm, gears. There's a whole world of debate just unpacking that one.

Indeed!

Forgot to add another point too…

9. First ride of a Hope rear hub in years, with a new Pro 2 on my bike, which is louder than any XC or BULB was… Thought it'd drive me insane, but I barely noticed it whilst riding…

tang
    Free Member

i tend to notice nothing playing follow me with ian!
    i am on the verge of selling my soul to the 29er route for those reasons. esp after enjoying the swift sooo much.

mboy
    Free Member

i tend to notice nothing playing follow me with ian!

I know I can't keep up, so had more time to notice other things! 😉

If you're 29er curious, can't recommend the 29er Inbred highly enough. It's a cheap route in, it's not light agreed, but the geometry is superb and it rides a dream…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Things I learnt/realised/remembered today…’ is closed to new replies.