Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Thieves stole my MTB brakes – Southampton
  • enzee199
    Free Member

I keep two bikes in a secure bike store at the back of my flats – entry with a key obtainable from the landlord and both my bikes locked together with a d-lock round a post.

Last Sunday (18th), about 6pm I noticed someone ride out of the shed. As I didn’t recognise them I went to my window to take a look and saw another lad on a blue BMX looking up at my window who then rode off.

Next morning I notice the saddle bag of my hybrid commuter has been rifled through with contents left on the floor and then notice they’ve stripped the brakes off my MTB; cables, pads and levers.

Only a few people have access to the shed and strangely the saddle and wheels, all quick release were left intact as were all the other bikes in the shed.

I’ve contacted the police, but don’t hold much hope at all. Seems strange though as the shed is overlooked and only a few people would know it was even there as it isn’t visible from the street.

Just posting this as a warning to anyone in the Portswood/ Swaythling/ Highfield/ Bassett area that there seems to be some kind of organised cycle thieves out there.

Also any info gratefully recieved.

angryratio
    Free Member

may they enjoy extremely spiky glass filled stools for a very long time.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

After being followed home recently by some yoofs – looking for something – I wonder if you’ve been equally spotted: for some spares?

chojin
    Free Member

It’s about this time of year that they seem to hit, had 2x hardtails stolen sept last year from my garden, as well as a few neighbours’ bikes too.
    They hit our neighbours again last week – I’m also in Southampton by the way :/

The bikes are living indoors at the moment

benjbish

I’ve lost a front wheel from a secure locked bike room in a nice block of flats in Southampton. I got off lightly, my wheel was taken to fit someone else’s bike which they’d nicked. They knew enough about the bikes to realise my avid rotor’d wheel would fit in his Avid’d Marin.

Bad times.

enzee199
    Free Member

@benjbish

Sounds pretty similar to what happened with my brakes. I Wonder if someone is obtaining keys for these sheds as its not just opportunistic The person who took my brakes obviously knew a bit about bikes and knew in advance what they were coming for. Only about 2-3 other people use the shed regularly with most other people just use it as a place to store bikes which see the light of day once a year.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

something I experienced at a flat in Coventry last year- the place had a nice secure (I thought) bike shed, brick construction, solid doors and locked with a combination lock. Was very puzzled to find one day thieves had gotten in a stolen bikes, luckily for me mine was locked too well and they dent get it. Anyway- point of the story is that the ‘secure’ shed was built with an adjoining bins area which was of course unlocked- unfortunately the builders had neglected to install a full height internal wall between the 2 halves. There was enough space remaining for the scrotes to climb onto the bins and get I’m the bike store! Obviously your situation is probably totally different, but the point is my experience made me take a critical look at the storage which I’d previously assumed was pretty secure!

enzee199
    Free Member

True. I think the lesson is that unless it’s indoors it’s not secure.

robsoctane
    Free Member

chojin – Member
    It’s about this time of year that they seem to hit, had 2x hardtails stolen sept last year from my garden, as well as a few neighbours’ bikes too.
    They hit our neighbours again last week – I’m also in Southampton by the way :/

The bikes are living indoors at the moment

Indoors is a great idea – wouldn’t leave a few grands worth of anything outdoors!

user-removed
    Free Member

May I just say, that I can’t wait for the local theiving barstewards to try breaking into my garage again (DH4 4LN – bring it). I can hardly contain myself! Suffice to say, they’ll leave with ringing ears – tinitus is for LIFE!!!! AAAAArrrGhhh. And that’s on a good day when I’ve unpluggd the handle from the mains…

OP – sorry to hear that. If it’s any consolation, my mate rode from the top of Glentress’ black run with no brakes at all, having wrapped the cables round a pointy tree. He still managed to beat the rest of us by 20 seconds 😐

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Indoors is a great idea – wouldn’t leave a few grands worth of anything outdoors!

…you dont own a car then?

cookeaa

Communal bike stores are generally not a great place to have to leave any bike you value (From personal experience). especially when they are part of a block of flats, dodgeyformer residents, Dodgey mates of current resident, bike trailing yoofs and organised thieves can all work out a likely place to go for the odd high value part or indeed whole bike…

Raise hell with the Landlord, point out that the lock up is quite clearly not secure if scrotes can not only gain access but work away undisturbed for long enough to remove a set of brakes…

Consider asking him to fit a basic alarm, some CCTV coverage (Relatively cheap these days). I’m sure he’s made sure he’s absolved of any liability but anything which helps make residents feel their property is a bit more secure will no doubt help him avoid future problems…

nixie

Suffice to say, they’ll leave with ringing ears – tinitus is for LIFE!!!! AAAAArrrGhhh. And that’s on a good day when I’ve unpluggd the handle from the mains…

What siren have you put in there? Have considered something like this myself, make it so noisy in there that the prospect of remaining in the garage does not appeal.

enzee199
    Free Member

@cookeaa

One thing which was annoying was the lack of CCTV coverage as it means that even if anyone figures out who did it the chances of any kind of action then being taken are virtually zero. I’m still waiting a response from the landlords beyond the we’ll speak to the MD about it, but taking your advice I’ll get back onto them.

Personally my money is on the dodgy former resident.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I had a bike nicked from inside work, there was cctv, the lad was seen walking out with it, the police knew who he was but nowt happened to him.

I now keep my bike in the office where I can see it. And keep my bikes in the hallway at home, if a scrote sees something and wants it, they’ll take it, unfortunately.

user-removed – I might pop over that way and take you up on the offer! 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Thieves stole my MTB brakes – Southampton’ is closed to new replies.