Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • "Thief deterrents"
  • popstar
    Free Member

My wife works in insurance industry and she mentioned of “smartwater” tying up with few insurance companies since its been succesfull in few trials. Checked out website and it seems not too bad, but is it really that good? Thought of trying out “home kit” for e-devices and few bicycles, that and investing into cctv for good measure.

Would you put out stickers about “smartwater” and cctv in your house? I would love to get a dog but wife allergic to animals dust mites etc. Any know-how of what’s available out there?

GrahamS

And as a bonus it deters cats from crapping in the gravel.

willard

or, if your wife is allergic to specifically dogs…

jimdubleyou

I’ve got datatag pro on my most spendy bikes. This comes with datadots uv fluid.

http://datatag.co.uk/bicycles.php

The thieving scrotes will only find that out when they get inside the shed though…

mrsfry
    Free Member

I can do weekends

(Can i marry the ones i catch)

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Bloody nora, The Hairy Bikers have let themselves go.

popstar
    Free Member

Mrsfry = Best deterrent, no doubt.

Datatag looks interesting, need to surf web about value for monies home cctv.

GrahamS

I have my bikes and various other property (phones etc) registered with https://www.immobilise.com/

Basic registration is free and you can upload photos and other helpful details (frame number, IMIE number for phones etc) that could help the police recover stuff to you if it is nicked.

They also sell RFID bike tags, stickers and other stuff.

trail_rat
    Free Member

” stickers about “smartwater” and cctv in your house?”

just shout from the roof tops and put a neon sign up – i have shiny stuff worth stealing….

if i had CCTV i would hope they were stupid enough not to notice it and thus not come prepared.

or be smart enough to notice it and **** off…

maccruiskeen

You could put up stickers saying you’ve got smart water / cctv or whatever whether you actually have those things or not – the stickers themselves are the deterrent, the smart water /cctv itself is about securing a conviction if the deterrent fails ( if you don’t tell anyone the smart water / cctv is there).

I would love to get a dog but wife allergic to animals dust mites etc.

by the same measure you don’t have to have a dog – you can just let people think you’ve got a dog.

JoeG
    Free Member

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep the smart water is only useful if it’s recovered, your making the leap that the the if can be bothered to read the sign. Deterrent for me? Don’t advertise what you have. Make sure it’s insured and you meet their rules 100%.

popstar
    Free Member

Guess use of smartwater and hidden cctv is the way to go.

Should lower house insurance premiums next year, by £5 =)

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I think the best deterrent is not letting people know you’ve got decent bikes.
    To achieve that aim I
    A) Never use a bike rack
    B) If using Strava, never start or finish from anywhere near my house
    C) Don’t use your real name on Strava
    D) Don’t have the bikes on show if the garage door is open
    E) Only keep the cheap stuff in the garage & even then remove wheels,pedals,seatpost.Best bikes kept in the house.
    Probably a bit OTT but that’s how I store them.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘"Thief deterrents"’ is closed to new replies.