Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Thick/Thin vs. Deep Tooth Unramped Ring
  • letmetalktomark

Looking at dropping down to a 1X drive chain on my full squish bike.

I run 1x set ups on a couple of bikes using a deep tooth unramped ring and a basic chain guide (Pauls, N Gear etc) I don’t remember the last time I dropped a chain.

The full squish frame requires a direct mount chain guide which the majority seem £££ for what they are. So thinking of using what I have e.g. a deep tooth unramped ring and going chain guide less.

Rear mech is non clutch but does have a strong spring(?) – A SRAM XO.

I know I should just trial it but thought I would as for peoples thoughts.

As a side if there is an over whelming “just buy a thick/thin ring” how do they fair with a std mech?

stevomcd
    Free Member

I’ve been distinctly un-impressed by clutch rear-mechs, don’t seem to help much as far as I can tell. Thick-thin rings on the other hand have been awesome for me. Don’t think I’ve dropped a chain since I fitted a Hope retainer ring. Running it on a NukeProof Mega AM with an X9 clutch mech, guiding full-time in the Alps all summer!

jam-bo

clutch mechs do a good job of quietening down chain slap.

thick-thin chainring are voodoo. not dropped a chain since (other than yesterday when it snapped and then vanished)

brant
    Free Member

SRAM are clear that a clutch alone isn’t enough to keep a chain on a singlering without a chain guide.

Compare the specs of the X1 vs X9 RD’s
    https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/products/sram-x1-11-speed-x-horizon-rear-derailleur

https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/products/sram-x9-type-21-10-speed-rear-derailleur

njee20
    Free Member

No clutch mech and no narrow wide? No chance it’ll stay on.

Clutch mech and no narrow wide? Slim chance it’ll stay on.

No clutch mech and narrow wide? Almost certainly going to stay on.

Clutch mech and narrow wide? May as well be welded together.

amedias
    Free Member

going chain guide less.

Rear mech is non clutch

= will end in tears

You might go for a few smoother rides and not lose it and think it’s fine, but it WILL come off in anything remotely bumpy, and probably when you least want it to.

smatkins1
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking about this one. I currently run a narrow/wide ring and clutch mech on my full sus.

I still occasionally drop a chain when things get rough (which is very frustrating) and narrow/wide rings are also slightly more expensive to replace.

I was starting to think a normal unramped ring with a guide would be more secure option, with clutch mech of course.

Northwind

The clutch doesn’t do that much (the clutch in my rear mech broke in the alps so I took it out, I missed it because the chain made a bloody racket and occasionally skipped on the block, but it still didn’t fall off.)

Standard unramped ring, clutch mech and no chain device just doesn’t work at all. Chain fell off 7 times iirc, in a single run down the mighty gnarfest that is falla brae. It’s the narrow-wide that does almost all the work.

Thick/thin with a clutch provides better chain retention than normal unramped ring + top chain device ime. And also, when it falls off, you can put it back on in a second instead of having to do hand to hand combat with it.

ThePinkster

I’d hardly call all Direct Mount Guides mega-bucks

Might be worth a try at that price if you’re happy using a retention device.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Thick/Thin vs. Deep Tooth Unramped Ring’ is closed to new replies.