Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Thick/thin chainring + 3/32 chain: any benefit?
  • PhilO
    Free Member

Looking at ways of reducing chain drop on my Rohloffed Nicolai. If I was to fit a thick/thin ring, would the wider chain negate any benefit, or would it still work fine?

Anybody tried it?

PhilO
    Free Member

Anyone?
    Looks like it might be up to me to test it, then.

SidewaysTim

3/32 is standard width for pretty much all ‘geared’ chains. Are you currently running an 11 speed chain for some crazy reason?

PhilO
    Free Member

Er… No. The reverse. My assumption was that the new chain rings would be aimed at 1×10 and 1×11 users, and therefore compatible with narrower than 3/32 chains (11/128″?). My understanding was that 3/32 was compatible with up to 8 speed, but 9, 10 & 11 use narrower.

The rohloff sprockets need 3/32 minimum width chain, so logically there’ll be more clearance (and hence greater lateral float) between the chain and the narrower chain ring. I’m simply wondering if that greater clearance will negate the advantages of the chainring design.

My best guess would be that the difference in width will be too small to have a significant effect, but wondered if anybody had tried it?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

8,9,10 speed are all basically the same internal width (2.3mm). It’s just their external width that differs.

So a thick/thin should be fine.

see http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ch.html

Johnbot
    Free Member

Highly recommend one, i still keep my sit on top of the chain chain keeper as well, belts and braces. But as soon as i need a new dérailleur it’l be a clutch one and i can lose that ugly thing as well. Had a chain tensioner and the sit on top of the chain keeper previously and it was hit and miss, its all good now. 34T raceface 9speed.

PhilO
    Free Member

Thanks all!

*gets credit card out*

SidewaysTim

Er… No. The reverse. My assumption was that the new chain rings would be aimed at 1×10 and 1×11 users, and therefore compatible with narrower than 3/32 chains (11/128″?). My understanding was that 3/32 was compatible with up to 8 speed, but 9, 10 & 11 use narrower.

The rohloff sprockets need 3/32 minimum width chain, so logically there’ll be more clearance (and hence greater lateral float) between the chain and the narrower chain ring. I’m simply wondering if that greater clearance will negate the advantages of the chainring design.

My best guess would be that the difference in width will be too small to have a significant effect, but wondered if anybody had tried it?

Ah! Got you. RaceFace N-W rings have 9/10/11 speed etched on them, so you’re good to go!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Thick/thin chainring + 3/32 chain: any benefit?’ is closed to new replies.