Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Thickness of ply to hang kitchen cupboards off?
  • Alphabet

We’re battening the walls in our new kitchen and fixing plasterboard on top.

As We’re not 100% sure on the kitchen yet I don’t know exactly where the fixing points will be for the overhead cupboards so want to have a large solid area.

Can anyone tell me what thickness of ply/mdf/whatever board I should use?

Thanks.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Depends a bit on the centres of the framing behind, but we normally use 18mm ply for pattressing.

chickenman

Fix some 18mm play pieces in between the studs.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

thickness of ply/mdf/whatever board

Don’t use MDF would be my advice. If the predicted position of the wall units is too vague for solid noggins then ply is fine, although I often use offcuts of chipboard flooring for radiator noggins.

Alphabet

Unfortunately the area is too vague for noggins so 18mm ply it is.

Thanks for the replies.

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

Ikea’s rail system is brilliant for the wall cabinets.
    Doesn’t matter where you locate the individual cabinets as the rail is fixed tonthebframing/ wall studs.

wrightyson
    Free Member

As above. Best way is to fix lath or similar (18 mm back) to the inner of the stud then use 18 mm ply to bring flush.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Not sure if there will be any exposed studs wrightyson : “We’re battening the walls in our new kitchen and fixing plasterboard on top.”

18mm ply between 19X38 roofing batten would work. Or sheet out the whole wall, depending on the size/feasibility, and fix the plasterboard directly onto that.

ourmaninthenorth

Or use French cleats to attach the cabinets to the walls?

wrightyson
    Free Member

@ernie, my mistake.
    Read the op carefully would be more useful hey!
    So as ernie says or solid dabs of board adhesive in the approx regions of units/cabinets.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Use Fermacell instead of plasterboard?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Thickness of ply to hang kitchen cupboards off?’ is closed to new replies.