Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • They only wanted a damm cake, But
  • project
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-32791239

But it seems as if everyone has an opinion and more are jumping on the media bandwagon. So lets chat about it, and keep it freindly.

A slice of cake anyone.

sbob
    Free Member

I was pro-gaycake until I saw the image they used.
    I do wish homosexuals would stop looking to find homosexuality in places where it doesn’t exist, like Bert and Ernie or Top Gun.

geoffj

I do wish homosexuals would stop looking to find homosexuality in places where it doesn’t exist, like Bert and Ernie or Top Gun.

+1

bearnecessities

Was it puff pastry?

RustySpanner

scaredypants

2 Belgian buns, I think

big_n_daft
    Free Member

heard someone on the radio who had a valid point

the bakery refused to make the cake (as it offended the owners) however they hadn’t refused to serve the gay gentlemen in question and had previously and since sold them stuff from the bakery

they weren’t discriminatory (in his opinion) as they were happy to sell other items to the gentlemen and the shop had a right to refuse to make a bespoke cake

crankboy
    Free Member

Big and daft if you read the judgement there is a big section dealing with that exact point .

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Worth googling Christian Concern – the group that financially backs legal fees for companies who’d like to use their Christian beliefs to discriminate. They’re obsessed with gays gaying all over the place and the untold damage all their gaying is doing to families all over the increasingly gay world. According to them, Tom Daley only started all his rampant gaying when his dad died.

The Evangelical Alliance, that pillar of liberalism and progressive thinking is disappointed. I love anything that disappoints the Evangelical Alliance and their mates in the DUP that tell schoolchildren that gaying is an “abomination”. **** backward weirdos.

alpin
    Free Member

a gay rights activist actively seeks out a bakery that will most likely not want to make a gay cake.

gay activist being a dick in equal measure, imo.

edit: i am niether pro gayers nor fairy believers.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It could also be seen as: Gay rights activists expose business using religious beliefs to discriminate.

Good on them.

MSP

Where does it say that they sort out that particular bakery hoping to make trouble?

eatmusic

In her witness statement the 3rd Defendant states:-
    “…. We consider that it is necessary as Christians to have a clear conscience before God. This means that we must live out our faith in our words and deeds and that it would be sinful to act or speak contrary to God’s law.”

There is a long list of things in the bible that they should be doing or not doing if they live their lives by it…strange it seems they pick and choose

Junkyard
    Free Member

So you heard someone on the radio get the law wrong then

FWIW i often wonder how the christians would react of folk were allowed to turn them away and discriminate against them

I suspect they would be as annoyed as a gay person in a bakery.

Correct decision as belief in a myth, no matter how sincerely held, cannot be a n excuse to discriminate.

crankboy
    Free Member

“Where does it say that they sort out that particular bakery hoping to make trouble?”
    Nowhere alpin made it up it was his local that he had used before they even agreed to make the cake.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Where does it say that they sort out that particular bakery hoping to make trouble?

I’m only going on memory here MSP, but I think it was apparent from the original story that maybe the customers had a fair idea that the commission might be refused by this particular bakery, if you know what I mean. You’d have to google the details from when the story broke (last year IIRC). I don’t think it was ever expressly written anywhere (when I read about it anyway) but I did get the feeling at the time that it might have been an action to provoke a reaction and a subsequent court case. NI is not an easy place to be LGBT – with the nutters in the DUP doing everything to allow discrimination to continue, like say, wanting the ban on gay men donating blood to continue ad infinitum.

EDIT: in view of crankboy’s answer above, really, I might be mis-remembering it all and making all the above up. I have committed the mortal sin of not researching Google throughly before posting. 🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

Isn’t that long list of stuff in the Old Testament things that the Israelites/Jews were supposed to do or not do?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I have committed the mortal sin of not researching Google throughly before posting.

Three hail TJ’s for you

thegreatape
    Free Member

DD – I don’t think you’re misremembering, there was something like that brought up first time round, I recall it too. I don’t know whether it was on the original thread or elsewhere that I read it though, nor whether the source of it was credible.

vinnyeh

Great that this has happened in NI, of all places.
    I look forward to a run of requests to Catholic bakers to produce cakes celebrating the Battle of the Boyne.

project
    Free Member

I have committed the mortal sin of not researching Google throughly before posting.

and not copy and pasting long boring articles to support your view, then slagging off people who donmt agree with you, but thats just a generalisation of the general way stuff degerates sometimes on here.

stuey
    Free Member

I’m frustrated by this story: Where are the details about the cake? – raspberry sponge ? Fondant ? I need to know!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Hail TJ Full Of Win
    The Sturge Is With Thee
    Blessed Art Thou Among Plastiques
    And blessed is the saddle of thine grand tandem.
    Holy TJ, father of argue
    Pray for us STWers
    Now and at the hour of our FAIL
    Amen.

For JY x

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Great that this has happened in NI, of all places.

It’s fantastic – it needs dragging out of the dark ages sometime. It’s a good start, long as the road might be.

Stoner
    Free Member

raspberry sponge ? Fondant ? I need to know!

It probably never mattered

jontykint
    Free Member

I welcome the verdict. Not for the belief that gay marriage is wrong, but that their beliefs cannot be above the law. Law being that of discrimination.

There is no religion or religious belief and teaching that can be above the law

Royston
    Free Member

This may have already been brought up, if so I appologise but what happens if the bakery is owned by Muslims and the order for the Cake is something that offends Allah or the Muslim belief system?

geoffj

Junkyard
    Free Member

Same thing as here – its illegal

enfht
    Free Member

Or an environmentalist refusing to sell a product due to excess packaging?

Or a cake seller refusing to sell anymore cakes to a morbidly obese fatty?

bearnecessities

his may have already been brought up, if so I appologise but what happens if the bakery is owned by Muslims and the order for the Cake is something that offends Allah or the Muslim belief system?

Well, it could be trouble if it was a small piece made by a close relative, ‘cos that would be *coughs* aunty semi de cake.

Junkyard
    Free Member

/THREAD

enfht
    Free Member

Or a T-shirt seller refusing to sell Che Guevara tops to spotty students out of principle?

Royston
    Free Member

It may well be illegal but would the decision have been the same? or would there have been consideration of a possible radical reaction.

enfht
    Free Member

Were the Nation Of Islam float at the Notting Hill Carnival breaking the law when they refused to give me one of the leaflets they were handing out freely to BMR partygoers (I’m a honky). Yes this did happen pmsl

tomhoward

What I don’t get is why didn’t the shop just say no to the commission? Why mention the nature of the refusal? If a business says no to a request of mine, should I have them investigated in case they have discriminated against me?

Also, who asks for a pro gay marriage cake, if not to stir (mix?) things up at the shop? I’m pro many things, I’ve never had a cake made to demonstrate this.

crankboy
    Free Member

They didn’t just say no because they accepted the order then changed their minds so rang to cancel and gave their explanation in the call. The cake was for a party to celebrate a local councillor s election .those hosting the party and the councillor were pro marriage.

Sandwich

I was once asked in all seriousness by a work colleague if there was a time zone change when flying to Ulster. My reply “yes. they are about 60 years behind the more enlightened parts of the mainland”.

Try the steaks, I’m here all week… etc.

jimjam
    Free Member

My blood is boiling here, watching some **** from the DUP on tv claiming that Christians in Northern Ireland are now feeling marginalised.

To clarify, the DUP, the majority ruling party in Northern Ireland which is comprised of almost entirely fundamentalist christians (who have frequently stated they view homosexuality as an abomination) is saying that Christians are now feeling under threat in Northern Ireland because the owners of a multi million pound business obstinately, belligerently and calculatedly refused to bake a cake.

Incidentally, Ashers legal fees were paid for buy the “Christian Institute”.

tomhoward

Would a gay baker be allowed to refuse to bake an anti gay marriage cake, if asked? Sexuality/religion of the requestor unknown.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘They only wanted a damm cake, But’ is closed to new replies.