Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Thetford campsites?
  • rocket
    Free Member

Want to take my eldest boy (7) on an ‘adventure’ on Saturday and was thinking a night camping and his first go at mtb’ing at Thetford on one of the easy trails (like the black 😉 ). Its only half an hour away and the mrs would probably come and visit the next day and bring the other kids for a day out. Quick google shows a dearth of campsites near Forest Lodge – anyone any experience or sugggestions? Ideally tents only and smaller and quiet that allows fires rather than a mega caravan park type place. Cheers!

johnnystorm

Bivi near mayday meadow. 😉

jamiea
    Free Member

Here you go.

I’ve only ever stayed at the Scout & Guide campsite near the powerstation. If your boy has done a bit of off road he’ll probably be OK on the black- I took a bunch of novice 10-14 year old scouts on it and not one of them died.

Edit, I read it as it would be your lads first time at Thetford. If it’s his first time off road the Blue should be OK.

Cheers,
    Jamie

rocket
    Free Member

Thanks for the link. Best options look to be Swattesfield and Lings Meadow (which look nice). Thought there might be something closer than 15 miles away but anything closer looks pretty ropey tbh.

Bivvying will happen in due time johnny, but think we’ll get a couple of camping trips in first 🙂

stumpy01

Dower House Touring Park is nice but doesn’t match many (any) of your criteria, really.
    caravans and tents, no fires (I don’t think) but it is a nice site with a little bar/clubhouse.

A drive from High Lodge though, too.

konagirl
    Free Member

Yes, unfortunately most of the campsites in the forest seem to be aimed at caravanners rather than tents.

In case people search in future (not available this weekend and not really ‘near’ the forest!) there is an interesting ‘wild’ site now opened at Wicken Fen. It’s about 20-25 miles by road from High lodge but a nice alternative if you have a small group that want a campfire and remoteness/seclusion.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Thetford campsites?’ is closed to new replies.