Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • These religion threads…
  • mudshark
    Free Member

Can you opt out of certain things if choosing to be gay? Can’t be bothered ironing socks.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Can you opt out of certain things if choosing to be gay?

I’ve opted out of both gay and ironing!

I prefer spending time with blokes but wouldn’t want to touch one

I put up with blokes reluctantly if there are no women around

simonralli2
    Free Member

Have I read this thread correctly? All of you are atheist, but are still getting into a massive argument with each other, arguing between yourselves and upsetting each other about other people getting upset (if that makes sense)?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

All of you are atheist

no, I gave up that dogmatism. Now I am happy to acknowledge any number of gods between zero and infinity (though I might take issue with negative numbers). Actually ‘acknowledge’ might be too strong, as really I don’t care – they (if any) can do their thing and I shall do mine, but if they get in touch I am willing to discuss the matter further.

simonralli2
    Free Member

SFB Lol

Ok – “atheist and agnostic/ god neutral” 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Ok – “atheist and agnostic/ god neutral

the name of my creed* is “pantheistic indifference”, though on alternate Tuesdays the 3rd ‘i’ is replaced by a ‘e’…

* if not being rightly bothered can be so described

mt
    Free Member

on the grounds that eternity is a long time and we do not now really what happens when we kick the bucket, is not believeing in god a wise move?

molgrips
    Free Member

it makes no sense to be offended about criticism of your beliefs

It’s fine to criticise beliefs, but there’s a line between that and abuse which is regularly crossed. Automatically assuming someone’s stupid because of their beliefs is a terrible thing to do. It is entirely personal and not constructive debate in any way.

sofatester
    Free Member

I’m god* neutral and carbon neutral but I do ride on footpaths, oh and I sometimes kick dogs. Does this mean I’m going to hell with the infidels?

*God/fictional character(depending on your beliefs/brainwashing/parents)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

is not believeing in god a wise move

I’m not convinced an eternity of torment or bliss can be differentiated from quite a short period of either. Without the variety and unpredictability of real life some lingering meta-existence would be awful and I have no respect for any entity that might seek to impose it on me.

Automatically assuming someone’s stupid because of their beliefs

ALL beliefs are inherently stupid as they are baseless rationalisations

…for instance I believe in justice, fairness and compassion and there’s scant evidence for those. Even clever people can believe stupid things.

simonralli2
    Free Member

ALL beliefs are inherently stupid as they are baseless rationalisations

Including that one, by sheer logic?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Including that one, by sheer logic?

no, that’s definition. If it had a base in fact it would not be a belief. I’ve tried really hard not to believe in gravity but am still sadly unable to fly 🙁

trailmonkey

**** hell. I’ve come on here to get away from Plato ( degree studies ) for an hour or so and Barnes is spewing it all back out at me 😉

sofatester
    Free Member

Plato as in “only the dead will see the end of war”? Or the ex-touring car racer?

Either way, what are you studying?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I’ve come on here to get away from Plato

that’s quite a compliment as I just make this stuff up 🙂

sofatester
    Free Member

That’s what he did as well; the difference being people didn’t think he was full of poo. 😆

simonralli2
    Free Member

I enjoyed reading Plato’s beliefs about Atlantis 😀

trailmonkey

Either way, what are you studying?

Tradition and belief.

sofatester
    Free Member

You will fit right in here then. Why not use Rudeboy as a case study. 😆

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Eh? What have I done now? 😯

mudshark
    Free Member

…is not believeing in god a wise move?

Well you can’t force yourself to believe something just because it might be a good idea if you did believe it. I do get the impression that some people in churches take this attitude though!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

miketually – Member

Do people actually still think that people choose to be gay?

Most people realise that being gay is not a choice. But quite a few people think that gay sex is unacceptable and that gay people shouldn’t be allowed to get married.

Personally I have a complete aversion to having sex with another man. And I would want to marry one even less. But that’s my choice, and if someone else fancies giving it a go, then it’s up to them. I’m certainly not going to abuse them for it.

If someone wants to believe in the Spaghetti Monster, then that too is their choice. And again, I’m certainly not going to abuse them for it.

Let people live their lives how they choose to. And don’t interfere. Is the simple solution imo.

Hairychested
    Free Member

If you choose to believe, fine. Or if you choose to ignore. Or negate. Or whatever. Do we, as human beings, need to be aggressive towards those who made a different to ours choice?

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘These religion threads…’ is closed to new replies.