• This topic has 21 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • These cranks? Why, yes. Yes, they are.
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Disc specific cranks. Still, at least Campy have finally entered the 20th century.

Not convinced that rotor size specific calipers is the best idea, though.

philjunior
    Free Member

Hope had rotor size specific calipers back in the day. I think with 2 rotor sizes and not much chance of people chopping and changing on a road bike, it’s fine (it’ll save a small amount of weight for a start).

(LOL @ disc specific crank even though you’re being a bit naughty with that claim).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I think with 2 rotor sizes and not much chance of people chopping and changing on a road bike, it’s fine (it’ll save a small amount of weight for a start).

That’s a good point.

I like the vibration reduction pad idea.

alaric

With Hope you could buy a new caliper half reasonably cheaply if you wished to change rotor size….

Sandwich

Do they slice as well as the competition? *aand runs away….*

molgrips
    Free Member

What about the cranks?

otsdr
    Free Member

Campagnolo found that by using long life magnets they were able to deliver better pad clearance from the rotor over time, ensuring the 0.6mm pad retraction to maintain rotor clearance, as well as eliminate the possible interference of the typical metal spring.

The anti-noise laminate is both glued & mechanically fixed to the pad carrier so is said to outlast the braking material itself. The small metal clips bent around the pad carrier also apparently offering an audible pad wear indicator.

So they removed the spring because it “interfered”, went with magnets, had to stick some ferromagnetic sheet to the aluminium pad backing, then had it bent so that it interferes on purpose.

tthew

(LOL @ disc specific crank even though you’re being a bit naughty with that claim).

If you read the whole of the article, (which is admittedly bloody long) it’s a wider Q factor to improve chainline with 135mm hubs and short chain stays.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Wow, am I reading that correct that the levers/brakes will be 500 euros (plus VAT) each. 1200 quid for a set of brakes is a lot, even for all those dentists bikes…

krixmeister

I thought the whole trend nowadays was for narrower Q factors – did I miss a trend?

P-Jay
    Free Member

If you read the whole of the article, (which is admittedly bloody long) it’s a wider Q factor to improve chainline with 135mm hubs and short chain stays.

Ah, so they’re Boost cranks then?

D0NK

shirley they can leave q factor alone and just change the dish of the spider (the 4/5 arm thingy that the rings bolt to)

I was under the impression that Q factor was how far apart pedals were. AFAIK mtb direct mount single ring setups allow for std/boost back ends by dishing the single ring appropriately. The cranks, axle and q factor all remain the same (assuming my definition of q factor is correct)

otsdr
    Free Member

Can’t dish the spider if the crank gets in the way :).

nemesis
    Free Member

CAMPY!!!

CFH go and sit on the naughty step in the corner.

It’s CAMPAG!!

( 😉 )

dragon
    Free Member

So these are road only disc brakes and cyclocross riders will need to look elsewhere.

Of course Campagnolo who pioneered the race-ready, system-built wheel concept more than two decades ago

Wasn’t that Mavic with the Helium?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

what’s the light blue frame?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I one did a direct translation of the word CAMPAGNOLO from Italian to English. It’s actually two seperate words, ‘campa’, from the Latin root ‘campai’ where we get ‘complicate’ translates more accurately as ‘awkward’
    And ‘gnolo’ which oddly has Germanic roots, Making it’s way into modern Italian only a couple of hundred years ago as ‘Folo’ referring to, err, a ladies genitals. It’s believed the ‘gn’ was added in a derogatory or profane manner at some point.

Campa gnolo – ‘awkward c**t’

EDIT
    Valentino Rossi has WLF on the zip tab of his leathers (check if you like) which is rumoured to be two vees not a W as in VIVA, then L = la and F= Folo
    Ergo:
    ‘Long live …….’

tthew

You could be right about the Q factor, because it was a long article I was skimming by then.

Ah, so they’re Boost cranks then?

Yep, there referenced boost in the write up. 😀

atlaz
    Free Member

what’s the light blue frame?

Sarto

DezB
    Free Member

Not enough photos of the levers in that article.

And those calipers? How ugly?! Without the Campag logo you’d think they were Tektro from 20 years ago.

aP
    Free Member

Well the SRAM Etap HRD calipers look great, but they’re nearly 6 months behind delivery – mine were originally promised for delivery mid January, possibly now coming mid June…

D0NK

Can’t dish the spider if the crank gets in the way 🙂

true, but if they’re making “disc specific”* cranks, carbon ones too, they can manipulate the arm shape to give more room.

Also

This new chainset design, in both H11 and Potenza 11 versions, ensures excellent precision for 142mm rear spacing and does so without altering the Q factor [145.5mm].”

🙂

*Not really disc specific are they? They’re boost/wide hub specific

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘These cranks? Why, yes. Yes, they are.’ is closed to new replies.